Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would Miami be classified as
Subtropical 5 29.41%
Tropical 12 70.59%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 04:26 AM

30,459 posts, read 21,298,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Do they fruit?
I have seen pics of coconuts on the tree's. I would think they gets some 30's 40's from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
I think Key West and the other Keys escapes the cold enough to be not to be considered subtropical.
They have been in the 40's and maybe 30's before. Not sure on Cuba but i think 40's have been down there before also.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
I disagree while I totally understand why you think so. It is a bit warmer than the rest of South Florida. Key West got some decent moderation of temperatures from the warm ocean waters more than the coast of South mainland Florida. Plus their winter average temps are hella mild BUT not much higher than Miami. While the annual mean temp minima is not low as Miami, Key West often gets in the 40's and low 50's every winter (the mean minimum is 48.8F, which occurs in the tropics but more in higher elevations, not on flat islands in the sea). Of course, as Ed Mountain pointed out, a lot of these powerful continental cold fronts do hit Florida. The West Indies do get some slight effects and maybe a super rare cold spell but warm oceans helps filter out a lot of that polar air.
We had year after year of super cold from 1977 until 1989. Tampa had a low of 21f, 22f and 19f year after year. 1977 we had snow in Tampa and even down to Miami.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:06 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
Not really, not in itself at least. Other factors have to be considered. All the months can have highs and lows in the 60's or it could have highs in the 70's and low in the 60's or even 50's. Tropical climates need months that average high temperatures that at least reach the mid-80s. Also, for example, a month can have a high of 80 and low of 50, which the mean of that month is 65 OR a high of 75 with a low of 55.While those temps are fairly on the mild side, a temp is like 50 as an average for a low even in the winter is not considered tropical at all. That being said, I do think it's a decent requirement for a climate to be tropical BUT it shouldn't stop there, you need more requirements to qualify a climate to be tropical.
So I'm guessing you don't think Brasilia is tropical either....

Old 11-17-2020, 05:08 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
They have been in the 40's and maybe 30's before. Not sure on Cuba but i think 40's have been down there before also.
The all time low for Key West is 41°F

Old 11-17-2020, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The all time low for Key West is 41°F
That warm water helps. That is why South St pete has always had full grown coconut tree's since they have water on 3 sides. They are always much warmer in the winter than anywhere in the Tampa area.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:48 AM

1,503 posts, read 916,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I have seen pics of coconuts on the tree's. I would think they gets some 30's 40's from time to time.
In Bermuda the limitation is going to be not enough winter heat (average highs and daily means being too low) rather than the odd unusually low temperature. So the opposite of on the mainland of North America, but similar to the poleward limits on the coasts of Australia and southern Africa.

But back to Miami - it would be better to use some reasonably objective criteria that are used in a branch of science, say ecology, than "x temp that happens every y so often is too cold to be considered tropical, by my completely personal, subjective opinion".

Old 11-17-2020, 06:37 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
In Bermuda the limitation is going to be not enough winter heat (average highs and daily means being too low) rather than the odd unusually low temperature. So the opposite of on the mainland of North America, but similar to the poleward limits on the coasts of Australia and southern Africa.

But back to Miami - it would be better to use some reasonably objective criteria that are used in a branch of science, say ecology, than "x temp that happens every y so often is too cold to be considered tropical, by my completely personal, subjective opinion".
Miami is definitely tropical in ecology. Miami Area is the northern long-term limit for the American crocodile, the American flamingo, and many other species of tropical flora and fauna. Miami is also flooded with tropical invasives like green iguanas, monitor lizards, caimans, pythons, anacondas, etc. In addition to the native tropical birds, there are dozens of species of feral parrots resident in Miami including a breeding population of blue and gold macaws that have been there since the 80s. The canals are full of invasive aquarium escapees from all of the tropical regions of the world. There is a significant recreational fishing market for peacock bass from the Amazon.

Similar thing can be said for the vicinity of Tampico, which represents the northern limit for Morelet's crocodile, the northeastern spiny tailed iguana, and (historically) the scarlet macaw. The world's northernmost tropical broadleaf evergreen forest also occurs around Tampico. There is an infamous lake in Tampico filled with crocodiles that have claimed many lives and like Miami, the city is also overrun with iguanas.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:47 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,543,062 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pYleuyC0QY&t=13s

Old 11-17-2020, 09:13 AM

346 posts, read 199,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
So I'm guessing you don't think Brasilia is tropical either....
Um. It's not easy to say. I peeped their average temperatures. They may be borderline similar to Miami and Key West (I see it's classified as a tropical savanna according to Koppen). They got fairly high daytime averages (upper 70's to 80's all months). Now, Their nighttime lows are quite cool though (similar to what you find in subtropical climates), especially in June and July - and they got close to freezing before (34F record low). It is also mentioned that it's a bit milder because of elevation too (hence the cooler lows) - so it's not abnormality for it's location when it comes to climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather