Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would Miami be classified as
Subtropical 5 29.41%
Tropical 12 70.59%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 02:10 AM

346 posts, read 199,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Again, the reality is Miami clearly has a different climate than Orlando and Tampa. The sub 70°F highs and 70°F+ lows during winter are the clear divider.

But delving deeper, Miami avgs 5 lows below 50°F, 1 low below 45°F and no lows below 40°F for the last 30 years
I admit it's a difference but not HUGE difference at all, at least with temps. Tampa and Orlando average winter temps (dec-feb) are in the low-mid 70s during to low-mid 50's in the evening. Miami is mid to upper 70s in the day, and low to mid 60s in the evening, with quite a few nights in the 50's. Miami is not much warmer than those cities during the day on average but the nights in Dade Co. sure are warmer which the geography of course is a factor. You also gotta factor in that urban island effect in the Miami metro too - it's very urban and built-up (6+ million people in that thin coastal strip from W. Palm Beach down to south of Kendall) - which make a location or area at least few degrees warmer on average than the surrounding suburban and exurban areas.

That being said, Orlando and Tampa do get the more adverse effects from cold fronts that rip thru FL from time to time and way more subject to freezing than South FL. Tampa and Orlando went below freezing dozens of times in the last 30 years. Orlando got down to 28 in 2018 and dropped to the 20s plenty of times over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian Luzzatto View Post
The fact that Will Smith can wear a wife beater shirt in Miami outdoors in the dead of winter and not freeze his ass off is evidence that Miami is muy tropicano. While winters back in Philadelphia Will Smith is dressed like the cast of Fargo because no one is staying outdoors in Philadelphia with a wife beater shirt on in the dead of winter!
https://youtu.be/IwBS6QGsH_4
LOL Yeah I remember that music video he did where Philly was -30F and they flew to Miami. I mean living in NC, I will take Miami's weather ANY day of week even if does get a little chilly at night on a few occasions - it's WAY better than WEEKS of winter lows in the 30s and below and they say NC has a "subtropical" climate.

Despite the record lows and mean temp minimums - the average temps in Miami are perfect. They got the hot blazing summers I love and the winter temps are comfortable IMO, like the early autumn temps here in NC, which can I can personally say do provide some relief, at least to me. Some people have said Miami is too hot in the winter but it's not like places in Puerto Rico or Belize where it rarely gets below 80 for daytime highs any time of the year. I can deal with hot weather year round but everyone ain't like me so...

Old 12-01-2020, 02:47 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
I admit it's a difference but not HUGE difference at all, at least with temps. Tampa and Orlando average winter temps (dec-feb) are in the low-mid 70s during to low-mid 50's in the evening. Miami is mid to upper 70s in the day, and low to mid 60s in the evening, with quite a few nights in the 50's. Miami is not much warmer than those cities during the day on average but the nights in Dade Co. sure are warmer which the geography of course is a factor. You also gotta factor in that urban island effect in the Miami metro too - it's very urban and built-up (6+ million people in that thin coastal strip from W. Palm Beach down to south of Kendall) - which make a location or area at least few degrees warmer on average than the surrounding suburban and exurban areas.

That being said, Orlando and Tampa do get the more adverse effects from cold fronts that rip thru FL from time to time and way more subject to freezing than South FL. Tampa and Orlando went below freezing dozens of times in the last 30 years. Orlando got down to 28 in 2018 and dropped to the 20s plenty of times over the years.
Miami avgs 17 more days with highs 80°F+ than Orlando during winter (65% more) and 25 more highs 80°F+ than Tampa during winter (139% more).

And Miami sees 21 more days with lows 70°F+ than Orlando (which avgs 0) and 19 more lows 70°F+ than Tampa during winter (950% more)

Old 12-01-2020, 04:27 AM

30,442 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Again, the reality is Miami clearly has a different climate than Orlando and Tampa. The sub 70°F highs and 70°F+ lows during winter are the clear divider.

But delving deeper, Miami avgs 5 lows below 50°F, 1 low below 45°F and no lows below 40°F for the last 30 years
Goes to show ya something has changed from the 1980's super freezes.

Old 12-01-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian Luzzatto View Post
If you type Miami In December on Google Image Search you do not see a single picture pop up of people dressed in winter clothes!
Yeah, the climates where you don't need to wear jackets or even sweatshirts or hoodies are the best climates imo.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:58 PM

23 posts, read 30,004 times
I've been living in miami my whole life and i must say miami has warmed alot since my childhood and I must admit I love it miami feels more tropical now then it has ever in the past bottom line a place DOES NOT NEED TO BE IN THE TROPICS FOR IT TO BE TROPICAL.

PS every one agrees the northern bahamas is tropical right? probably yes lol which is less then a 80 miles off the coast of miami need I say more.

Old 12-03-2021, 05:47 PM

30,442 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFLANATIVE View Post
I've been living in miami my whole life and i must say miami has warmed alot since my childhood and I must admit I love it miami feels more tropical now then it has ever in the past bottom line a place DOES NOT NEED TO BE IN THE TROPICS FOR IT TO BE TROPICAL.

PS every one agrees the northern bahamas is tropical right? probably yes lol which is less then a 80 miles off the coast of miami need I say more.
Any place that gets in the low 40's and 30's is not troipcal in my book. Now that it has warmed up so much it is closer to tropical.

Old 12-04-2021, 02:30 PM

1,226 posts, read 724,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Any place that gets in the low 40's and 30's is not troipcal in my book. Now that it has warmed up so much it is closer to tropical.
The rural suburbs of Darwin have recent historical lows of 5c ( 41f ) in all three dry season months.
Latitude 12.6*S.
1 in 30, 1 in 50 and 1 in 100 year events shouldn't be used to classify the climate.
The far North Queensland town of Townsville has almost identical climate data / averages to Miami, despite being 400 miles closer to the Equator. In fact Miami is slightly warmer 25.2c ( 77f ) mean as opposed to Townsville's 24.4c ( 76f ) mean.
The obvious differences are the extreme mins in Miami and the extreme max's in Townsville.
Even Townsville has recorded a min as low as 1.1c ( 34f ) and recorded mins below 10c ( 50f) in the months May-Oct.

Last edited by greysrigging; 12-04-2021 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-06-2021, 11:24 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
When was the last time either of those things happened? I’d guess it’s once in a decade phenomenon. How many people commenting have been to Florida in the winter? I’ve been there several times and never as far south as Miami. Felt summery in Orlando and Tampa even at Christmas time. I suppose as a Canadian I’m used to cool nights during the summer but the idea that Miami becomes this frigid landscape where palm trees are dying all over the place makes me laugh. I bet it doesn’t feel much different than Honolulu on an average winter day

Old 12-06-2021, 11:35 AM

2,831 posts, read 1,414,489 times
Solidly tropical, IMO. It has remained above the tropical threshold even when the averages take into account the freak freezes+1977 snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather