Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What would Miami be classified as
Subtropical 5 29.41%
Tropical 12 70.59%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2022, 04:04 PM
 
2,815 posts, read 1,405,653 times
Reputation: 356

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Only on here would people type with a straight face that Miami is "too cold to be tropical". I lived there for 18 years, moved out largely cuz I was sick of the endless TROPICAL heat lol. Miami is tropical. Sure, on the northern edge, but tropical. Once it starts snowing in Miami, even if its only once every 10-20 years, then we can call it "subtropical."
Wow, some actual logic at this point
With due respect, all the attacking of the climate classification by nmdesert is pretty nonscientific and opinionated. So a breath of fresh logic is well due.

Miami is on average tropical regardless of its extremes, Honolulu is a hot semi arid climate about 95mm of rain too dry to be any kind of tropical, extremes don't define the 30 year climate period, and cherry picking is what you need to make Miami ANYTHING BUT tropical

Edit: "Only on here would people type with a straight face that Miami is "too cold to be tropical" is one hell of a understatement. The main thing Miami is really mentioned for on City-Data is 'cold snaps' and 1977, to the point where if you only had City-Data to go off of, you'd think there were 1977 encores all winter.
But what else can be expected from all the halfwit clown climatology on here?

Last edited by Can't think of username; 08-23-2022 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2022, 05:55 PM
 
Location: St. Louis Park, MN
7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Reputation: 10394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Wow, some actual logic at this point
With due respect, all the attacking of the climate classification by nmdesert is pretty nonscientific and opinionated. So a breath of fresh logic is well due.

Miami is on average tropical regardless of its extremes, Honolulu is a hot semi arid climate about 95mm of rain too dry to be any kind of tropical, extremes don't define the 30 year climate period, and cherry picking is what you need to make Miami ANYTHING BUT tropical

Edit: "Only on here would people type with a straight face that Miami is "too cold to be tropical" is one hell of a understatement. The main thing Miami is really mentioned for on City-Data is 'cold snaps' and 1977, to the point where if you only had City-Data to go off of, you'd think there were 1977 encores all winter.
But what else can be expected from all the halfwit clown climatology on here?
I wasn't alive in 1977, and though I would love to see a snowfall in Miami, just for the sheer novelty and hilarity alone (seeing flurries in Corpus Christi is the closest visually that I have experienced) the truth is that '77 "snowfall" was just flurries that were cool and fascinating but did not even amount to accumulation. So the great "event" that people refer to didn't even lead to any landscape change. That same precipitation is nothing more than what we get around late October some years, a nice little flurry that doesn't stick. The only thing that makes it notable is that it happened in Miami lol.

If I ever see it snow in Miami in my life, it better stick to at least the roofs. It probably would make my day to see my childhood home covered in snow. I would make a Christmas postcard out of that lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2024, 03:44 PM
 
34 posts, read 4,771 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Keep dreaming bra. Not a chance. But the way things are going the last 9 years i may have to agree with ya if it keeps heating up. All them counties use to see 30's and Hendry has been in the 20's as i may move to that county soon to buy up some homes. I don't count any place that gets in the 40- 30's as pure tropical.
This is so bizarre. “Keep dreaming”. It IS. You’re the one that likes to pretend “Florida had winters”. You can’t just pretend.

My question is: why are foreigners typically so obsessed with disqualifying American climates exclusively, as being warm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2024, 03:07 PM
 
30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Reputation: 11954
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesja View Post
This is so bizarre. “Keep dreaming”. It IS. You’re the one that likes to pretend “Florida had winters”. You can’t just pretend.

My question is: why are foreigners typically so obsessed with disqualifying American climates exclusively, as being warm?
You dug up this old thread again man. FL had real winters of lows of 19f to 25f year after year in Tampa. Now with rapid super heating planet i have not see a temp below 33f in years and i am well north of Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2024, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Etobicoke
1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
Reputation: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post

Miami is on average tropical regardless of its extremes, Honolulu is a hot semi arid climate about 95mm of rain too dry to be any kind of tropical, extremes don't define the 30 year climate period, and cherry picking is what you need to make Miami ANYTHING BUT tropical
That i disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2024, 03:31 AM
 
1,222 posts, read 720,410 times
Reputation: 1330
Miami is Tropical, MKay ?
So is Townsville in Far North Queensland, AU
Check out the similar means... Miami has more extreme cold and Townsville has more extreme heat, otherwise similar means
Townsville is 400 miles closer to the Equator than Miami.



Both tropical climates....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2024, 05:11 AM
 
2,815 posts, read 1,405,653 times
Reputation: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
That i disagree.
With what, exactly?

There is, as of my knowledge, no period of climate normals in which Miami does not average 18C in all months.

Tropical trade winds bring both warmth and moisture, and because Honolulu is under the rain shadow it is the full influence of those trade winds is blocked, so it makes sense for Honolulu to be a hot steppe climate (which the defining characteristic for is a certain extent of rainshadowing in all nontundra climates) instead of a tropical climate.

I think we've had the second discussion before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2024, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Etobicoke
1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
Reputation: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
With what, exactly?

There is, as of my knowledge, no period of climate normals in which Miami does not average 18C in all months.

Tropical trade winds bring both warmth and moisture, and because Honolulu is under the rain shadow it is the full influence of those trade winds is blocked, so it makes sense for Honolulu to be a hot steppe climate (which the defining characteristic for is a certain extent of rainshadowing in all nontundra climates) instead of a tropical climate.

I think we've had the second discussion before.
You're making the rules that all tropical climates must be wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2024, 08:36 AM
 
2,815 posts, read 1,405,653 times
Reputation: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
You're making the rules that all tropical climates must be wet.
I don't know why you keep coming to that conclusion, I'm abiding by existing criteria set a very long time before I was born. I've already said this before: https://www.city-data.com/forum/64066008-post586.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2024, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Etobicoke
1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
Reputation: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
I don't know why you keep coming to that conclusion, I'm abiding by existing criteria set a very long time before I was born. I've already said this before: https://www.city-data.com/forum/64066008-post586.html
That is open for interperetation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top