U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would Miami be classified as
Subtropical 5 29.41%
Tropical 12 70.59%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 12:16 PM

5,697 posts, read 2,956,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
The same thing happens in Tropical climates of Central South America,look at Assuncion,it has a tropical climate but almost every year register lows close to freezing when intense cold winds from South blow there.
I should have specified that no other coastal tropical climate gets the weather Miami does (Asuncion is inland and is not exactly at sea level like Miami which allows cold air to pool in lower areas). Additionally, Asuncion has a humid subtropical climate, not a tropical climate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 12:27 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,533 posts, read 1,455,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I should have specified that no other coastal tropical climate gets the weather Miami does (Asuncion is inland and is not exactly at sea level like Miami which allows cold air to pool in lower areas). Additionally, Asuncion has a humid subtropical climate, not a tropical climate.
They average 18C+ in July,so they have a tropical climate.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
They average 18C+ in July,so they have a tropical climate.
Not according to Wikipedia. "Asunción has a humid subtropical climate (Köppen: Cfa) that closely borders on a tropical savanna climate (Köppen Aw)" Asuncion has a mean of 18.2C in July, in order to be tropical it must have a mean ABOVE 18.2C

Old 11-11-2016, 01:24 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,533 posts, read 1,455,601 times
Quote:
Not according to Wikipedia. "Asunción has a humid subtropical climate (Köppen: Cfa) that closely borders on a tropical savanna climate (Köppen Aw)" Asuncion has a mean of 18.2C in July, in order to be tropical it must have a mean ABOVE 18.2C
In the Köppen climate classification it is a non-arid climate in which all twelve months have mean temperatures of at least 18 °C (64 °F).

The threshold to be a tropical climate are having no month with a mean temperature below 18C,Assuncion average 18.2C in July,because this wikipedia says it border subtropical/tropical,Miami do the same.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
In the Köppen climate classification it is a non-arid climate in which all twelve months have mean temperatures of at least 18 °C (64 °F).

The threshold to be a tropical climate are having no month with a mean temperature below 18C,Assuncion average 18.2C in July,because this wikipedia says it border subtropical/tropical,Miami do the same.
No, Miami's doesn't, Our "coldest month has a mean of 20C at the airport so it's not even close. Wikipedia specifically says that Asuncion has a Humid Subtropical climate, although you're right that it meets the criteria for a tropical climate, I wonder why Wiki is incorrect.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:08 PM

803 posts, read 476,364 times
I think Miami is subtropical/tropical borderline - the mean temperature in the coldest month is 68*F (20*C), which is exactly my line between the two classifications. I see both tropical and temperate/continental influences on the climate, so I don't think it could firmly be said to fall in either category.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:44 PM

12,220 posts, read 7,076,004 times
Quote:
No, Miami's doesn't, Our "coldest month has a mean of 20C at the airport so it's not even close. Wikipedia specifically says that Asuncion has a Humid Subtropical climate, although you're right that it meets the criteria for a tropical climate, I wonder why Wiki is incorrect.
Because any plank can edit anything on Wikipedia, for whatever reason & it will remain until someone notices & changes it to what it should be...

Old 11-11-2016, 07:52 PM

22,301 posts, read 8,833,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
I think Miami is subtropical/tropical borderline - the mean temperature in the coldest month is 68*F (20*C), which is exactly my line between the two classifications. I see both tropical and temperate/continental influences on the climate, so I don't think it could firmly be said to fall in either category.
Miami is Awa in my climate system (Tropical Savannah Very Hot Summer). Very Hot since the mean in the warmest month is 84.0°F+. I should note though that in my system, only Miami and the Keys actually are tropical in the lower 48, I put the tropical/subtropical line at the Dade/Broward County line, since Ft Lauderdale falls just short of tropical in my system

Old 06-29-2019, 12:08 PM

211 posts, read 73,363 times
Technically Miami is tropical, but with subtropical influence due to astronomical and geographic issues.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:35 PM

110 posts, read 27,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Miami is Awa in my climate system (Tropical Savannah Very Hot Summer). Very Hot since the mean in the warmest month is 84.0°F+. I should note though that in my system, only Miami and the Keys actually are tropical in the lower 48, I put the tropical/subtropical line at the Dade/Broward County line, since Ft Lauderdale falls just short of tropical in my system
Where are the details for your system, FirebirdCamaro?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or