Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would Miami be classified as
Subtropical 5 29.41%
Tropical 12 70.59%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 08:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimaforscher View Post
Where are the details for your system, FirebirdCamaro?
That post was from 3 years ago, I've modified my view on climate since then. But if you want to see, look up the thread Ultimate Climate Classification System or something like that, I started it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 09:32 PM

110 posts, read 71,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That post was from 3 years ago, I've modified my view on climate since then. But if you want to see, look up the thread Ultimate Climate Classification System or something like that, I started it
Oh! It's a baroque system reminiscent of Thornthwaite, but with labels somewhat familiar to users of Köppen. Why did you create it?

Old 06-29-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Oh! It's a baroque system reminiscent of Thornthwaite, but with labels somewhat familiar to users of Köppen. Why did you create it?
Because I don't like Koppen's broad C group. New York City and Orlando being both Cfa and Auckland and Amsterdam both being Cfb are laughable

Old 06-30-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Because I don't like Koppen's broad C group. New York City and Orlando being both Cfa and Auckland and Amsterdam both being Cfb are laughable
So why not use Trewartha? He correctly classifies New York City and Amsterdam together as temperate, and Orlando and Auckland together as subtropical. Why go to the trouble to create such a complex system?

Old 06-30-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
So why not use Trewartha? He correctly classifies New York City and Amsterdam together as temperate, and Orlando and Auckland together as subtropical. Why go to the trouble to create such a complex system?
I modified my view to this for the C group (still don't like Trewartha because it considers Washington DC oceanic):

Subtropical: Coolest month between 6 and 18°C, 4+ months 18°C+ (this is where I put Mediterranean climates as well, stops Seattle or San Francisco from being called Mediterranean, since Seattle is too cool in winter, and both are too cool in summer compared to the real Mediterranean Basin)

Warm Oceanic: Coolest month between 6 and 18°C, less than 4 months 18°C+

Temperate Transistional: Coolest month between 0 and 6°C, 4+ months 18°C+

Cool Oceanic: Coolest month between 0 and 6°C, less than 4 months 18°C+

Old 06-30-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
still don't like Trewartha because it considers Washington DC oceanic
Very good! Yes, Trewartha knew Washington DC was something other than Oceanic (He wanted continental, hot-summer) but his system always struggled with the Cf/Dc border of North America.

Quote:
Subtropical: Coolest month between 6 and 18°C, 4+ months 18°C+ (this is where I put Mediterranean climates as well, stops Seattle or San Francisco from being called Mediterranean, since Seattle is too cool in winter, and both are too cool in summer compared to the real Mediterranean Basin)

Warm Oceanic: Coolest month between 6 and 18°C, less than 4 months 18°C+

Temperate Transistional: Coolest month between 0 and 6°C, 4+ months 18°C+

Cool Oceanic: Coolest month between 0 and 6°C, less than 4 months 18°C+
This is not bad at all, but it does add complexity to Trewartha and creates quite a few subtypes that may not objectively exist (in the sense that extraterrestrial visitors might not understand why you made them). Also I don't know how many people would countenance excluding San Fransisco from the Mediterranean group without a drop of rain in July. Have you considered altering it to accommodate exceptional cases?

Old 06-30-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Very good! Yes, Trewartha knew Washington DC was something other than Oceanic (He wanted continental, hot-summer) but his system always struggled with the Cf/Dc border of North America.

This is not bad at all, but it does add complexity to Trewartha and creates quite a few subtypes that may not objectively exist (in the sense that extraterrestrial visitors might not understand why you made them). Also I don't know how many people would countenance excluding San Fransisco from the Mediterranean group without a drop of rain in July. Have you considered altering it to accommodate exceptional cases?
I consider Seattle cool oceanic dry summer, and San Francisco warm oceanic dry summer

Old 10-25-2020, 02:12 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,815 times
This debate has been raging on CD for the last 15 years. Don't expect this thread to settle anything.

Old 10-25-2020, 04:14 PM

5,730 posts, read 3,510,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strasse66 View Post
The flora in Brisbane does not look more tropical than Orlando's. I'm not sure how you could say that.
Certainly Brisbane's native flora is far more tropical-looking than Orlando's.

Source: my own photos

Moreover, Brisbane's mild winters allows it to grow imported flora that is much more like Miami than Orlando. Indeed, these flora have become part of Brisbane's history and identity.

Coconuts.

Source: https://www.enjoyaus.com/n2048/premi...kel-the-wrecks

Royal Poincianas.

Source: https://www.redlandcitybulletin.com....m-magnificent/

Mangos.

Source: https://trusttrees.org.au/tree/QLD/F...mestead_Way_10

Banyan Fig.

Source: Your Brisbane: Past and Present: Eagle St Fig Trees

Cuban Royal Palms.

Source: https://www.****/city-botanic-garden...image137349025

A lot of these can be grown in Orlando but every few years a freeze comes along and wipes half of them out so they don't become so endemic.

Old 10-25-2020, 04:23 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Certainly Brisbane's native flora is far more tropical-looking than Orlando's.

Source: my own photos

Moreover, Brisbane's mild winters allows it to grow imported flora that is much more like Miami than Orlando. Indeed, these flora have become part of Brisbane's history and identity.

Coconuts.

Source: https://www.enjoyaus.com/n2048/premi...kel-the-wrecks

Royal Poincianas.

Source: https://www.redlandcitybulletin.com....m-magnificent/

Mangos.

Source: https://trusttrees.org.au/tree/QLD/F...mestead_Way_10

Banyan Fig.

Source: Your Brisbane: Past and Present: Eagle St Fig Trees

Cuban Royal Palms.

Source: https://www.****/city-botanic-garden...image137349025

A lot of these can be grown in Orlando but every few years a freeze comes along and wipes half of them out so they don't become so endemic.
Same for Tampa but got killed back year after year in the 1980's super freezes. Now we are seeing more and more winters with out getting near 32f, but all it takes is 4 hours below 28f to knock em dead. Coconuts were killed well south of Sarasota with the 1981 super freeze then we had a 19f in Tampa in 1983.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather