Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:55 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I find that temperature range okay..,"
but the highs are bit on the bland or "spring-like" side for my tastes.
Some days I love having 70's F instead of hot temps for highs though.

Nights?
I strongly prefer the lows to stay above 60 F.
Sometimes it might as well be winter if it's going to be a 50 F morning with wind, hurting in the cold.
The term "eternal spring" tends to get thrown around quite a lot when describing these climates.

Yes, it's certainly important to have low wind, low rain and high sun in cooler conditions. Lately we've had a lot of 10 C / 50 F mornings here, but with sunny skies and very little wind it's actually quite pleasant (with a light jacket or moderate physical exertion). However, with overcast skies, heavy rain and strong winds 10 C is unbearably cold to me. But at 27 C / 80 F I don't really care if it's raining or blowing a gale as it's always pleasant.

This leads me to prefer the humid subtropical climates over Mediterranean ones as the latter have a winter rainfall peak. Perth, for instance, is a great climate but the winters are very wet. When you've got close to 200 mm of rain in a month when the mean temp is only 13 C, that's not quite ideal. I heard it can be quite windy too during winter.

The flip side is that the humid subtropical climates often have stifling humidity. But the Australian central East coast isn't too bad in this respect -- Brisbane's summer dewpoints are usually in the high teens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 02:55 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
When it rains here for days on end - very comfortable - not so when the horrid dry sets in....

Old 04-12-2011, 05:13 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
There is no climate around that would be really comfortable for me on earth, so I had to invent my own one in "dream climatic averages".

Old 04-12-2011, 07:39 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I am compiling a list of climates that may be regarded as optimal for thermal comfort (for the average person). This is a matter of interest to me as I like to fantasize about where I would live if I happened to come into a lot of money and opted for early retirement. Obviously this is a somewhat subjective matter, but for myself and I believe the majority of people I would say that the optimum would be daily highs in the 70 - 80 F range and overnight lows in the 50 - 70 F range. Obviously sun, rain and wind need to be considered as well (wind and rain are more welcome and sun is less welcome with higher temperatures and humidity).

Of course there are many here who would consider such conditions unbearably hot and others for whom they would be freezing cold, but I really think these ranges are about right for most people. So if you know of any climates that fit the bill feel free to post them below. No doubt you will remember many of these from "rate the climate" threads where they unsurprisingly performed well.

Adamstown, Pitcairn Islands: Adamstown, Pitcairn Islands Climate, Temperature, Average Weather History, Rainfall/ Precipitation, Sunshine
Jamestown, St. Helena: Jamestown, Saint Helena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Antananarivo, Madagascar: Antananarivo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nairobi, Kenya: Nairobi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gold Coast, Australia (and much of the Australian central East coast): Gold Coast, Queensland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Atherton, Australia - Climate statistics for Australian locations
Canary Islands: Gran Canaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Easter Island, Chile: Easter Island Climate, Temperature, Average Weather History, Rainfall/ Precipitation, Sunshine
Sao Paulo, Brazil: São Paulo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Medellin, Columbia: Medellín - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Durban - Durban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Los Angeles (and really anywhere on the SoCal coast): Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good list, I wouldn't really complain in any of those climates, although the winner for me are cooler tropical climates like Nairobi and Sao Paolo, because they have the excitement of the tropics (thunderstorms, the 'wet') without the stifling heat.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
If Southern California makes the list, Western Australia should, too. Perth and nearby is very mild and sunny. Seems like people in this forum (including myself) prefer the Gold Coast but Western Australia is a close runner up. And in any other country, people would appreciate the climate more.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:34 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
In what way is the low humidity a problem?
It makes your nose and your throat seem as dry as desert. Very uncomfortable...

Old 04-12-2011, 05:11 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
It makes your nose and your throat seem as dry as desert. Very uncomfortable...
Perhaps the pollution is a significant factor there? I've spent time in inland areas of Brazil further north in the dry season - I think the humidity was fairly low, but conditions were very pleasant.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:12 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If Southern California makes the list, Western Australia should, too. Perth and nearby is very mild and sunny. Seems like people in this forum (including myself) prefer the Gold Coast but Western Australia is a close runner up. And in any other country, people would appreciate the climate more.
I'd pick Perth ahead of the Gold coast, though ideally would be in the latter for June-September (roughly) and Perth the rest of the time.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 PM

287 posts, read 738,977 times
Oregon and Washington coastline and valleys are very comfortable for me. It averages 52 in winter and 70-75 in summer.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:57 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Or3g0n View Post
Oregon and Washington coastline and valleys are very comfortable for me. It averages 52 in winter and 70-75 in summer.
Sounds almost perfect. I prefer cold and snowy winters, but I also love cloudy and rainy conditions, so it would be a good trade off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather