U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: ...
Paris 21 60.00%
Christchurch 14 40.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 04-15-2011, 08:57 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 50,555,270 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

Paris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Christchurch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


I'm not sure if the sunshine stats on the wiki page are accurate, as I remember Paris having more like 1900 hours a year. Either way, which climate would you prefer? I think I'd take Paris for the warmer summers, although winters probably feel somewhat colder in Paris due to the colder days. Christchurch gets occasionally 'fohn' winds and warm spells. Both cities see snow occasionally, Paris slightly more frequently. Otherwise both are fairly mild temperate maritime climates.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2011, 09:05 PM
 
Location: In transition
10,669 posts, read 14,202,982 times
Reputation: 5081
Christchurch definitely.. warmer winters with much warmer record lows.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Toronto
3,338 posts, read 6,409,942 times
Reputation: 2400
This is actually a rather tough call as I'd prefer Paris' warmer summers, but Christchurch's "longer" though milder summer, and milder winter seems to make up for it.

I'd go with Paris, because I'm a summer-lover and because the winters are not too much colder to shift me in favour of Christchurch's mildness.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 09:16 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 50,555,270 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Paris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Christchurch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


I'm not sure if the sunshine stats on the wiki page are accurate, as I remember Paris having more like 1900 hours a year. Either way, which climate would you prefer? I think I'd take Paris for the warmer summers, although winters probably feel somewhat colder in Paris due to the colder days. Christchurch gets occasionally 'fohn' winds and warm spells. Both cities see snow occasionally, Paris slightly more frequently. Otherwise both are fairly mild temperate maritime climates.
I checked the official French meteorological site and Paris they list Paris as having just 1630 hours. A bit low for me, but at least Paris has something resembling a real summer.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Wellington and North of South
5,127 posts, read 7,585,282 times
Reputation: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Paris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Christchurch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


I'm not sure if the sunshine stats on the wiki page are accurate, as I remember Paris having more like 1900 hours a year. Either way, which climate would you prefer? I think I'd take Paris for the warmer summers, although winters probably feel somewhat colder in Paris due to the colder days. Christchurch gets occasionally 'fohn' winds and warm spells. Both cities see snow occasionally, Paris slightly more frequently. Otherwise both are fairly mild temperate maritime climates.
If you check Meteo France, I think the sun average is around 1750, so Wikipedia is a bit on the low side. With similar rainfall, fewer rain days and almost 400 extra hours of sun, Ch'ch wins hands down for me.

Revision: If it's 1630, then even more so for Ch'ch.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 09:21 PM
 
Location: In transition
10,669 posts, read 14,202,982 times
Reputation: 5081
Doesn't seem to be too much difference in summer temps between Christchurch and Paris... Paris is 2C warmer for a high in summer. The difference between the two in winter seems much more.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Toronto
3,338 posts, read 6,409,942 times
Reputation: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Doesn't seem to be too much difference in summer temps between Christchurch and Paris... Paris is 2C warmer for a high in summer. The difference between the two in winter seems much more.
I suppose you are right -- my choice was sort of a close, perhaps arbitrary call. I actually on first glance had such a hard time deciding between them that I started counting months above a threshold to see if it could help me decide --both have 4 months of 20C+ highs, and in terms of 15C+ Paris having 6 months and Christchurch having 9 months is a point in favour of CC, but then again two 25C+ high months also sounded appealing.

I probably picked Paris' summers from familiarity because 25C/15C for July and August is close to what I experience as summer in my regular climate and got used to thinking of as "at least it'll feel like summer"; and in recent memory a summer that had a July high of 24C (2009) seemed unusually chilly relative to the near 26C-27C highs I'm used to.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 09:52 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 50,555,270 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I suppose you are right -- my choice was sort of a close, perhaps arbitrary call. I actually on first glance had such a hard time deciding between them that I started counting months above a threshold to see if it could help me decide --both have 4 months of 20C+ highs, and in terms of 15C+ Paris having 6 months and Christchurch having 9 months is a point in favour of CC, but then again two 25C+ high months also sounded appealing.

I probably picked Paris' summers from familiarity because 25C/15C for July and August is close to what I experience as summer in my regular climate and got used to thinking of as "at least it'll feel like summer"; and in recent memory a summer that had a July high of 24C (2009) seemed unusually chilly relative to the near 26C-27C highs I'm used to.
Yes I think 22-23 to 25C is actually a fairly big jump, because for me it only starts really feeling warm instead of just 'mild' after about 24C. I've experienced summers in Hobart and believe me, it's nothing like Melbourne.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Toronto
3,338 posts, read 6,409,942 times
Reputation: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes I think 22-23 to 25C is actually a fairly big jump, because for me it only starts really feeling warm instead of just 'mild' after about 24C. I've experienced summers in Hobart and believe me, it's nothing like Melbourne.
It's probably no coincidence that this seems to be the region of temps (Low to mid 20s C) where many people draw the line for a room temperature that's comfortable.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 10:28 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 50,555,270 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
It's probably no coincidence that this seems to be the region of temps (Low to mid 20s C) where many people draw the line for a room temperature that's comfortable.
My thoughts exactly. No one would notice the difference between say -24 and -26C, but a small change from anywhere between say 18-28C seems to really be felt. I can quite easily tell 23 from 26C.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top