Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 07:03 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromant View Post
I've only heard that said about Alaska where it's actually true. You can't stretch out Ohio's three month almost-winter to nine and ignore its long, hot summers.
Yeah, people say that about Minnesota and New England too, and I find it baffling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:13 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,926,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah, people say that about Minnesota and New England too, and I find it baffling.
Hell, everyone says that about Canada but it gets pretty hot there too. I know, my state borders one of their provinces and it gets oven hot here in summer. People that say winter exists year round in the northern border states are people that hate winter. The reality is warm and mild months exceed cold months in all of the continental U.S.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:32 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There might be a bit of overlap, but there are four seasons in Florida

In no particular order, they are:
1. Hot - Inexpensive Wardrobes - You get to wear shorts and flip flops everywhere. (OK, gotta have a shirt in some places)

2. Rainy - We called them 'Sunshowers'

3. Hurricane - We got 3+ days warning, what more could you ask for.

4. Tourist - He lied. We only had two seasons, Season detector:
It's summer when young people visit.

It's winter when old people show up with Noxzema on their noses.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,507,927 times
Can't forget the widespread snow in January 1977. Florida winters might surprise you sometimes. In January 2010 my cousin who lives in Orlando texted me a picture of sleet that fell at his house, I was pretty surprised.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:53 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
Can't forget the widespread snow in January 1977. Florida winters might surprise you sometimes. In January 2010 my cousin who lives in Orlando texted me a picture of sleet that fell at his house, I was pretty surprised.
To paraphrase Aristotle and Herman Cain, "one snow shower doth not a winter make". Florida snow events are interesting, though.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:31 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,412,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
To paraphrase Aristotle and Herman Cain, "one snow shower doth not a winter make". Florida snow events are interesting, though.
Aristotle thought the sun went around the earth though, and that everything is made out of earth, fire, air and water. Herman Cain, some Tea Party activist (teabagger) from Georgia. Um LOL.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:37 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Aristotle thought the sun went around the earth though, and that everything is made out of earth, fire, air and water. Herman Cain, some Tea Party activist (teabagger) from Georgia. Um LOL.
Aristotle's full quote is "One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy." I think even you could agree with that from your own experience with English summers. Similarly, Herman Cain's "one great decision doth not a great president make" is one thing he got right.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,412,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Aristotle's full quote is "One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy." I think even you could agree with that from your own experience with English summers. Similarly, Herman Cain's "one great decision doth not a great president make" is one thing he got right.
Here's one I made up: One half truth among a midst of tosh does not a wise person make.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 AM

678 posts, read 1,205,083 times
You people from Ice must not compair the climate of a southernmost place than yours to your own. It's unfair. The right way to do it is picking up another cities/places lying under same latitude but from different countries, like this:

Florida x Uttar Pradesh (India) x Fujian (China)

All those places are located near 25ºN...

Then you start seeing differences among them.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 PM

775 posts, read 1,169,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
You people from Ice must not compair the climate of a southernmost place than yours to your own. It's unfair. The right way to do it is picking up another cities/places lying under same latitude but from different countries, like this:

Florida x Uttar Pradesh (India) x Fujian (China)

All those places are located near 25ºN...

Then you start seeing differences among them.
I agree with Ricardo in comparing like with like. So let's do a comparison :
Uttar Pradesh:

Lucknow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fujian:

Fuzhou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Florida (I've chosen Orlando in central Florida, in order to avoid the extreme warmth of Miami and the Florida keys and the cooler and less representative northern cities, Jacksonville and Tallahassee etc...)

Orlando, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How do you think Florida compares to those places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather