Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate This Climate: Miami, FL
A 21 20.39%
B 27 26.21%
C 17 16.50%
D 10 9.71%
F 28 27.18%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:33 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,339,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMath View Post
Technically, most hurricanes do occur in those months. However, hurricane season is June 1 - November 30, which is six months (183 days). 183/365 is 50.1%, so hurricane season is half of the year.
Using that logic...the threat of a huricane is also six months long in Newport, Rhode Island...or the threat of a tornado in the great Plains is 9 months long...or the threat of snowstorm in MN is 8 months long...etc.

In terms of weather/climate - there is a big difference between what can happen...and what normally will happen.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,532,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Maybe too cold for ultra tropical plants. But with out a doubt you will spot some tropical plants here. This thread has turned into another Miami hate thread.
Not hating on Miami, just wanted to break the image to tourists who might think it's something like Hawaii or the Caribbean.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,324,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Time to set things straight here:

#1. Humidity:

A "little" humidity. A LITTLE????? When you're standing there and you can feel the water in the air or your sweating standing still THATS A LOT.

Florida is a Penisula, humidty is always high in summer. Source for Miami Humidty: Average Relative Humidity(%)

Humidity in Afternoons is 80%s, mornings its 60%s. Temperature average is mid to upper 80s.
Left square is mornings...Right square for afternoons...

There has to be a screw loose somewhere to think having Extreme Caution and Danger level heat index is enjoyable.
Randomly found this old post… you mixed up the morning and afternoon humidity percentages; I looked a few random Miami midsummer days; at the worst in midday the heat index reached the mid 90s, maybe close to 100°F a few days.

While it's not ideal weather, it can be enjoyable for some to be outside in temperatures that merit "Extreme Caution", especially if in the shade and mostly inactive. Or at the beach.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:45 PM

6,909 posts, read 7,649,791 times
Was there last week, I like that climate this time of year it is perfect march/april. Not sure on summers, as I was not there then.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,185,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
While it's not ideal weather, it can be enjoyable for some to be outside in temperatures that merit "Extreme Caution", especially if in the shade and mostly inactive. Or at the beach.
Have you been to Florida? It's really a different level of heat and humidity, IMO. Combine that with the strong sun and it can be quite uncomfortable. A few days this summer here had dewpoints in the mid-70s here and it felt very oppressive. I would not enjoy dealing with that for several months.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:42 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,981,200 times
I know this is almost a year old, but since this thread has been revived I will add my own responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Well no if I was naked outside I'd rather it be in warm weather...but who the hell stands outside naked in either case? Thats the point we can bundle up. We can only take off so many clothes. Heat waves kill more people than cold snaps...again..just a fact.
This comparison of people being naked outside is irrelevant, seeing as we are not nudists. These heat lovers are peculiar; all memory of clothing seems to escape their mind . In terms of the better environment for the human race, if with rather simple technology a person can be more comfortable than in a warmer climate and greatly enhance his quality of life, does that not count as a better environment for humans? I refer to escaping all of those awful tropical creatures and diseases, able to be in, use, work, and play in snow, and escaping the miserable tropical heat and humidity. The environment that prompts one to get this simple technology (like for instance, clothing!) also spurs innovation by necessity, hence the creation of more technology that further enhances our quality of life. We are also warm-blooded and our species is very suited for cold weather if a race is given enough time to acclimate. The final nail in the coffin in this absurd case is the fact that even if everyone were a nudist, that still facilitates living cold and snow; the natives of Tierra del Fuego, for example, were nudists or close to it who often went through sub-freezing temperatures with no problem. Why? Because humans are warm-blooded creatures; we generate heat inside our bodies that must be vented to the outside. That's why, unlike reptiles, the vast majority of us prefer temperatures below our body temperature, and death by temperature is far easier on the hot side than the cold side.

So I've just proved that a cold, snowy, dry, and seasonal place is better for every human than a tropical stinkhole. Yeah, right. The fact is that the whole argument is absurd because what temperatures and other weather conditions are best vary based on the individual, and vary widely. It is equally absurd and insulting to question the sanity of winter fans as it is to question the sanity of tropical mavens. However, I hope that this sinks that whole line of thought and exposes its stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Last time I checked we had clothes. And of course there's that little discovery called fire. Based on the logic of some here, we should all just start packing our things and moving south since we would die naked in 40 degree weather. That makes almost the entire US inhabitable since most places dip below 40 at some point in the year.

If heat lovers are so tolerant of heat, why does virtually every place have air conditioning during the summer? They're clearly not as heat tolerant as they claim. They want a cool place to work and play in when it's 95 F and swampy outside. Keep in mind that the south did not see significant growth until A/C came around. I've worked outdoors during the summer and it is not fun trying to stay hydrated, constantly sweat, deal with sunburn, avoid heatstoke, etc. On the flipside, I could spend hours being bundled up outdoors in cold weather and feel perfectly comfortable. You can only take off so much during the summer and still have problems, but you can almost always put enough on in the winters and be fine. Who faces more risk? Someone wearing a jacket, gloves, hat, warm boots, etc. at 35 F or someone in shorts and a t-shirt at 95 F?
This is true, but keep in mind that individual tolerance to 95F varies widely. For instance, I would be on death's doorstep, whereas Flight Simmer would be soaking up the rays. Also keep in mind that we want a warm place to work and live when it's snowing outside . Indoor preferences aren't relevant, unless they're being used to escape the very conditions outside someone supposedly likes. I don't think most of the heat-lovers on this board are guilty of that. The main truth to this is that cold temperatures are a lot more survivable than their equivalent on the hot end of the scale.

Let's be generous and not use human body temperature, and instead use a 60F figure as the optimum for radiating heat away from the body. 50F below that figure is 10F, whereas the equivalent on the other side is 110F. I'd say the 110F is more dangerous than the 10F but both are definitely survivable. Now let's go for 80F away from the optimum; you get -20F on the cold side. Still very survivable. On the hot side, we get 140F. Well, that's a bit different. Even the most hardy heat lover would be uncomfortable in those conditions. Most people would probably die but these hardy folk could get through it if they had enough water. On the other hand -20F is regarded as a lovely, invigorating, and hardly deadly temperature by many winter fans. Now let's go 100F away from the 60F optimum. On the cold side we have -40F. This is getting uncomfortable for many, but still very survivable. On the hot side we have 160F, which is deadly to everyone.

This is being generous - if I used 70F as the optimum or human body temperature, it would look even worse for the hot side. If hot temperatures suit you, I'm not trying to deny that they are; all that I'm proving here is that discomfort on the cold end of the scale operates to a lesser extent and is more survivable than its equivalent discomfort on the hot end of the scale. This is true for most people, at least until we reach much above 110F. However, relative discomfort, to whatever degree it may operate on an individual, has no relation to which temperatures offer a better quality of life.

This post by Cambium is unusually insightful for such an argument:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Dear Lord people.

Our bodies are naturally warm inside. It takes minutes for the blood to boil and to get a sun stroke. It takes longer to get hypothermia. But how do we even start comparing temperatures?

When comparing facts you can't use apples and oranges. It's not about standing naked... its about how to be comfortable. You can put on a fur coat in minus 10 degrees and be warm but in 100 degrees you can only take off so much to be cool unless you use a wet towel and stand there.

I think the bottom line here is not only personal preference but to know the fact that too much heat like in this rated Climate of Miami is not a good thing.

Typically people are comfortable between 68-77. So to hear someone likes it above 85 and humid is just beyond my imagination.

Miami Gets an F

Here's another way to look at it... Our bodies normal temp is 98.6 degrees .... Isn't funny how just 10 degrees higher outside and we get heat strokes but yet it can be 60 degrees lower outside at 38 degrees and we'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The strange thing about Miami, is that I used to think that rain cooled things off...not in Miami...rain makes it HOTTER!
This is a fact that is often overlooked. Convective thunderstorms in summer and especially in the tropics don't cool things off at all in the end. All it does is increase the humidity afterwards. When the thunderstorm is over the temperature goes back like it was, only with higher humidity. Usually overnight lows still remain above 70F anyway, so tropical thunderstorms are useless from a cooling perspective.

However, over the cold fringe of the subtropics and all of the continental regions, thunderstorms usually have a real cooling effect because there is colder air available at the upper levels and they are usually attached to a cold front, even in summertime, which sweeps through bringing in cooler and drier air. This is the primary mechanism of the post-thunderstorm cool-off that so many seek. Unfortunately no cold front even approaches Miami in summertime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
LMAO! millions of years ago, the entire planet was frozen, there ain't no such thing as a "tropical plant"
Sure there is such a thing as a tropical plant, just as there is such a thing as a woolly mammoth. Unless you meant a tropical planet, but even then there have been times where Earth was entirely tropical.

For those who are not in the know, Earth has been frozen over at least once in its past. Perform a Google search for "Snowball Earth" and you may find out. Also, over the past few millions of years the long-term normal state for Earth to be in is a glacial state, with the last two glacials and probably the next one lasting for around 100 000 years. These glacial periods are interspersed with shorter interglacial periods, which is the state we've been in for the past 10 000 years or so. Interglacials last anywhere from 10 000 to 50 000 years, but it is only a matter of time before the glacial state reasserts itself. Also, even looking beyond the current ice age (glacial-interglacial cycle) Earth has been in a long-term cooling trend for the past 40 million years or so. The current state of affairs, and the current geographic configuration of the continents that may have produced the ice age, will persist for at least 10 million years in the future. It's likely the longer-term cooling trend will continue until then, so buckle up . Longer and deeper glacials will take hold. All of the CO2 that man could possibly put out from industrial use (the polluting chemicals will run out in a few centuries) is merely a blip on these timescales, so don't think that is a trump card. Heat lovers, if you're planning to put yourself in a stasis chamber and wake up in a few million years, locate it in someplace like Singapore, because Florida will look a lot different in a glacial state (which if you wake up at a random time in history you would have a 90% chance of waking up in a glacial period).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Just to be fair…that seems like a bit of an exaggeration (lol).

I agree Miami is warm/hot most of the year and some people might find it sultry and humid in the wet season (May through October)….

but….

I think anyone who has spent time in Miami knows the weather is as perfect as weather can be from late October through April (half the year). Sunshine, temps in the 70’s and low 80’s, and relatively dry. A better climate would be hard to find.
Not to me. It's too hot and too humid year-round, and yes I'm talking about the wintertime 70's for highs and 60's for lows too. While that may be pleasant weather for some, where's winter? You've completely left that out of your analysis. And even if people found that pleasant why not have that weather in summer instead of winter? Winters (cold, snow) are typically easier to deal with for people who hate "extremes". of course for a heat lover like yourself summers in Miami aren't a problem.

And I think merely finding it sultry and humid is an understatement. A crushing combination of a sauna and a heat lamp over my head would be closer to the mark. Also Miami is typically humid in the winter as well; not as much as the wet season (dews of 75) but dew points above 60 are the bread and butter of a Miami winter. It's not common for dew points to even drop below 40, and as this winter has shown dew points above 70 can still occur even in a Miami winter. Also even with normal conditions low temperatures still remain very warm, with averages hovering near 60, with 50 to 70 being the normal variance. That is not the sort of "dry" weather I seek. Miami would be considered humid year-round by someone from Las Vegas, or even anywhere in Montana, and they would be right.

As for my climate rating, I give it a grade of F.

Last edited by Patricius Maximus; 04-10-2012 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: Added rating

Old 04-10-2012, 05:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,324,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Have you been to Florida? It's really a different level of heat and humidity, IMO. Combine that with the strong sun and it can be quite uncomfortable. A few days this summer here had dewpoints in the mid-70s here and it felt very oppressive. I would not enjoy dealing with that for several months.
Not since I was 6. I've barely spent any time in the US East Coast south of New Jersey. But yes, we do get the same combination once in a while, and I do find it uncomfortable was more nuisance than horror. Of course, in a few days those conditions would be gone so I would have gotten a lot more irritated at it if the same conditions lasted for months. Though, I met someone from South Florida who said he didn't run his A/C all summer long.

Anyway, my main point wasn't that I believe South Florida has good summer weather (I don't think it does) but that Cambium miscualculated the heat index. More like high 90s rather than 110s to 120. A huge difference in comfort and safety.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:24 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,178,871 times
I give it a B, because it is a bit too hot and humid for me in summer, the hurricanes and violent tropical storms, and cold snaps. HOWEVER, I could learn to tolerate the heat and humidity because of the breezes and ocean. Also, I love thunderstorms. It may get more humid when they're gone, but it cools things off and relieves humidity.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Frequently? Geez just stop while you are behind. Here is the problem. You see a heat wave up north and YES ..it can and does get hot and humid. What you are missing is this. It is 90 with high humidity EVERY day in Florida..the north has cool nights, less sun angle, cold fronts...see the difference? Florida is perpetual...the north can get quite hot but its fleeting. Not to mention Floridas heat spans many months...If the north has 10 days over 90, that is a BAD heat year.
The north does not have cool nights. I lived in DC and the nights were 75-80 with high humidity. Heck, there were even nights in the summer of 2011 that were in the 90sF. As I was packing to move to San Diego, around midnight it was 95F outside! I can see why people think Miami is cooler, because not only are the record heat extremes lower in Miami, but also the sea breeze is there, which much of the NE doesn't get.

Also, I believe people are exaggerating the heat and humidity of Miami. Anyone who says Vegas or Arizona is better is false. Both of those places regularly get 105F in summer, then add in humidity from the monsoon, and the heat index is FAR above Miami's heat index, forget that there's no ocean to cool off in or sea breeze! Also, dry heat is more dangerous.

Last edited by Hawaii4evr; 11-21-2012 at 12:19 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 12:47 PM

I gave it an A-, because of the cold snaps. I don't care about the other weather, it is very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.