Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:49 PM

275 posts, read 836,396 times

Advertisements

I'd give it a D. I don't like the lack of 4 seasons. Also, apparently Houston is above 90 degrees approximately 99 days per year. Problem is, it is still uncomfortable to me when it's 80 degrees (which spans several more months). I hate those morning trudges to my car with 85 degree weather and 70% humidity (in MAY).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 11:06 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The problem with the Climate of the US is where summers are pleasant winters are brutal, and areas with nice winters are muggy most of the year. I'd give Houston a C+ to B though.
It's not a problem. You just don't know the US that well. Are summers unpleasant along our east coast? No. Look at the stats for Atlantic City, NJ in summer. What about the west? There are many areas in Oregon and WA that have very pleasant summers and winters are not brutal.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I didn’t want to have to retype the essentially the same thing. My thoughts exactly. I give it a solid B+.

I would likely live in Galveston and work in suburban south Houston however (if that would be a feasible commute).
How could anyone possibly like a winter like that. Days in the 30's and 40's followed by days in the 70's and 80's would drive me insane. It would wreak havoc on your body clock and just be so annoying as far as any consistency in what to expect. No thanks.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Houston's January averages look similar to Perth, Australia, and I hear enough complaints about how 'cold' it is here. Most of the Southern US has winters colder than most of the cold half of Australia, yet compared to the Northern US that is warm. Northern Australia is still the place to escape to in winter, where it's warm to hot, not just 'not cold.'
For you lot maybe, but we have Florida and the Caribbean, which are just as warm or warmer than Northern Australia. I don't know many Americans who would fly all the way to Aus to escape winter when they can go to Fl or the Carib right here. And why bother, I'd rather go to England to see the real thing.

Do you hear complaints from people who live in Sydney or Melbourne, or Adelaide about the cold winters of Perth? I find it a bit hard to believe. Those cities are all colder than Perth in winter. How many Australians live in your north? The vast majority of Australians live in climates colder (Melbourne) or the same as Houston. The tropical north of Aus has virtually no one in it outside of Brisbane, which ain't warmer than Miami. Darwin, Pft, more people live in a suburb of Honolulu than probably all of your Northern Territory.

It seems to me that with this post and your thread about overrated southern US heat you are trying to prove some point about Aus vs US in climate bragging rights.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:12 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,589,659 times
I rate it a D only because it was slightly better than where I grew up in South Texas in the winter. Summers were equally miserable. I'm sure ILNC has many nice things to say about Houston's climate. j/k. She's probably looking for the biggest F you can find.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:14 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,224,561 times
D-. I'm trying to get away from weather like this.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:21 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
How could anyone possibly like a winter like that. Days in the 30's and 40's followed by days in the 70's and 80's would drive me insane. It would wreak havoc on your body clock and just be so annoying as far as any consistency in what to expect. No thanks.

It has been discussed on several threads that there is some fleeting swings in daily high temps due to cold advection from higher latitudes in winter…however I think you are vastly overstating how erratic daily high temps are in Houston on average:

In the three/four winter months (Dec/Jan/Feb/March)…the normal daily high in metro Houston is in the 60 to 70 F range. A daily high in the 30’s or 40’s might occur a handful of times each month (average of about 4 times when the high fails to get above 55 F/13 C). Despite the media hype about the cold snap for a few days this past January…a daily high even under 40 F is quite rare in Houston, maybe 1 day out of 365 days per year might see that. Houston's latitude give it far more stabilty in winter than places in the northern USA. Even this past extreme winter with wild swings in the jet stream, the temps in metro Houston were still fairly stable:

Dec 2010
Days in the 30’s and 40’s = 1
Days from 60 to 80 F = 23

Jan 2011
Days in the 30’s and 40’s = 4 (no days below 42 F)
Days from 60 to 80 F = 21

Feb 2011
Days in the 30’s and 40’s = 4
Days from 60 to 80 F = 21

March 2011
Days in the 30’s and 40’s = 0
Days from 60 to 80 F = 31

Old 05-14-2011, 09:09 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,954 times
Houston is actually very warm between the cold snaps, and can support borderline tropicals for a few years, like this Mango tree growing in Kemah, south of Houston, though not on the immediate coast. It has probably frozen back or died after the past 2 winters.

DisplayMessage

Old 05-14-2011, 04:41 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
D-...It is too hot and humid. The only thing that keeps it from an F is the sunshine totals.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:06 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
D-...It is too hot and humid. The only thing that keeps it from an F is the sunshine totals.
Is that so?

I think Sam Houston wouldn't tell me the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather