Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:41 AM

578 posts, read 1,188,547 times

Advertisements

Orlando and Tampa, I was there for 3 weeks from around the middle of the month. Most days were around 86-90F, the coolest day was about 80F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 07:42 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
No no, you have selectively ignored all the parts of my previous posts which menioted dewpoints, mean temperatures and low temperatures already; and you have taken just one of the several parameters which I did mention; and taken it totally out of context. You are the Loser here, so take it like a man, grow some balls and stop wasting my time. Last time now. Not interested.
I'm with you weather fan..these people who try to argue its not any hotter in Florida than further north are plain old ignorant. You cant walk a block in Florida without sweating..it is disgusting..who gives a **** about the high temp....its so far from the telling indicator.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:49 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Average highs for Florida in summer is Upper 80s. Average afternoon humidity is 80% or above. This chart is based on the creation of the human body, not personal acustom to.

Florida is a penisula surrounded by water. You can be standing outside doing absolutely nothing and feel the water in the air. Its very humid. So most of the time your in Extreme Caution and Danger Real Feel heat. Its Hard to enjoy the outdoors without seeking a/c or a pool to cool off.

Left square box is for mornings where the humidity is lower near 60%
I was in Florida (Tampa) for two months from late May to late July 2009, and it wasn't really that bad, especially considering that virtually every building is air conditioned. And afternoon humidity, at least where I was, was not 80% unless it was 80F or lower and a thunderstorm. It would more commonly be about 90F with 50% humidity in the peak of the afternoon. Going from air conditioned to air conditioned building, even if the distances between them are long, in 90F / 50% heat, is much more tolerable than going from heated building to heated building in -15F cold with high winds (wind chills -45F to -25F)...as I have had to do on some mornings in northern MN. Even on the hottest days there, going between buildings was more comfortable than in the coldest days of an MN winter. Heck, even going in 10F weather with normal winds is worse than moving between buildings in FL, especially wearing shorts and a T-shirt (which is much more comfortable and easier to put on than covering up to the max.)

The worst heat I experienced there was probably in late June, when a string of nights with lows around 80 and days in the mid-90s occurred, leading to heat indices between 105 and 110 in the afternoon. That was oppressive heat - but it wasn't usually like that. I took long walks, especially during and after sunset, without a problem, always being able to return to my air-conditioned apartment.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:25 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I'm with you weather fan..these people who try to argue its not any hotter in Florida than further north are plain old ignorant. You cant walk a block in Florida without sweating..it is disgusting..who gives a **** about the high temp....its so far from the telling indicator.
Exactly....tvdxer is on Cloud Cuckoo Land. I mean, seriously.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:30 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Exactly....tvdxer is on Cloud Cuckoo Land. I mean, seriously.
Did you see the numbers I posted?

Also, it looks like Cairo's dewpoint averages in the upper 60s (maybe 67-70).

Old 05-07-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I was in Florida (Tampa) for two months from late May to late July 2009, and it wasn't really that bad, especially considering that virtually every building is air conditioned. And afternoon humidity, at least where I was, was not 80% unless it was 80F or lower and a thunderstorm. It would more commonly be about 90F with 50% humidity in the peak of the afternoon. Going from air conditioned to air conditioned building, even if the distances between them are long, in 90F / 50% heat, is much more tolerable than going from heated building to heated building in -15F cold with high winds (wind chills -45F to -25F)...as I have had to do on some mornings in northern MN. Even on the hottest days there, going between buildings was more comfortable than in the coldest days of an MN winter. Heck, even going in 10F weather with normal winds is worse than moving between buildings in FL, especially wearing shorts and a T-shirt (which is much more comfortable and easier to put on than covering up to the max.)

The worst heat I experienced there was probably in late June, when a string of nights with lows around 80 and days in the mid-90s occurred, leading to heat indices between 105 and 110 in the afternoon. That was oppressive heat - but it wasn't usually like that. I took long walks, especially during and after sunset, without a problem, always being able to return to my air-conditioned apartment.
So now we are comparing 90 degrees with -15 degrees? What kind of comparison is that? Try 90 with 30... -15?

I lived in Sarasota for 2 months in the summer of 2004..Every day was 90, every night about 75-80 with high humidity...it was PAIN!

Old 05-07-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Since I know zero about anthropology, and the article I read (from what I remember) was not in any type of science journal...you're probably right in a genetic sense: Although it might seem there is some geography to where genetic body types might be found based on climates (example, Africans seem to be tall and lean...Inuit seem to be stout,..etc)...as you point out Scandinavians and some peoples of equatorial Africa don’t seem to fit that at all based on genetics.

However, just based on casual observation, I would have to disagree with any academic (or otherwise) research that says that the annual climate of any region doesn’t play a role in the development of body types, lifestyles, and even the development of mental health issues:

While the job I have now has few perks (lol) - the one positive thing is I’ve been able to travel a great deal. In my admittedly limited experience - it seems that those who live in climates where it is difficult (even life threatening) to be outside in the winter for several months of the year (Bismarck, North Dakota for example), more often seem to have a sedentary lifestyle and body shapes that reflect that. On the other hand, cities like Miami, Los Angeles, Austin, and Phoenix...etc where one seems to have more time to spend engaged in outdoor activity all year, tend to be less sedentary and their body type/shape often reflect that. The human body seems more adapted to handling modestly hot temperatures than enduring very cold temperatures. I’ve hiked near Palm Springs, CA in June when the surface air temperature was near 114 F . Though I was exhausted by mid afternoon, I had little real discomfort walking and being outside. On other hand, I would expect that I could not survive for long in -50 F wind chills in North Dakota in winter, and there seems to be little chance for outdoor activity in severe winter conditions.

There seems to also be some correlation between those who live in climates where there is less than adequate hrs of sunshine and mental health issue: I can remember reading several articles (and hearing from a few seasoned travelers), that mention that some of the issues with social alcoholism (and I mean no disrespect to any ethnic group here)in Ireland and northern England is rooted in part in their high latitude cloudy/cool oceanic climates. Here in the USA, the numbers of SAD cases seem to be centered in the Pacific Northwest and the upper Great Lakes – both the cloudiest places on the USA mainland. I work with several people who travel all over the world frequently – and they joke that bars in the cold/cloudy Scandinavian countries are like being at a funeral (they mention some folks seem very glum and depressed).

I realize that economics, social status, education levels, access to larger cities all play a huge role in these issues as well.
The people of the south are heavier...and part of the reason is hot weather tends to make one not want to move around as much. It creates a sedentary lifestyle which is quite unhealthy. Another Wavehunter theory shot to hell!!! Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:28 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Agreed. Some people just don't tolerate heat and humidity very well.

I'm thin, but still have trouble dealing with it. Must be some biological reason.
And many people can tolerate heat, but don't like the humidity. Those people are the ones that could tolerate the desert SW heat, where temps can get over 110 degrees. But when the dewpoint is over 60, they can't hande the discomfort of the humidity. I can tolerate heat in the 80s and even low 90s, as long as the dewpoint is under 60 degrees.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:38 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It's not the heat, it's the humidity?
Yeah, that was sort of my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't believe that at all! Hot is hot.
You might not believe it, but I find humid heat much more uncomfortable. Dry heat allows the evaporation of sweat and humid heat does not.
Most people find being sweat covered and sticky for most of the day to be decidedly unpleasant.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:57 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Did you see the numbers I posted?

Also, it looks like Cairo's dewpoint averages in the upper 60s (maybe 67-70).
Avg min temperature is often also quite important when it comes to people's comfort also. Florida's average dewpoint is higher than Illinois in the summer - it is simply a fact of its geographical location - a penninsula surrounded by very warm waters, hence the high dewpoints. You're onto a loser continuing to try and argue against me on this one - whoever you are. I'm finished with this silly nonsense now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather