U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2011, 05:58 PM
 
6,459 posts, read 12,097,784 times
Reputation: 3267

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
The mods should delete this thread....the OP's theory has already been debunked and it's a stupid thread anyway. This thread is pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
I think we can safely assume that someone who advocates for cold weather over hot weather is probably not advocating for a global ice age. In which case this thread was pointless to begin with.

You both seem to be easily offended by anyone that doesn't have your weather preferences with liking bitterly cold weather.

My theory has not been debunked. Many people agreed with my thread subject and thought it was a great thread subject.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2011, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
780 posts, read 1,599,246 times
Reputation: 616
You know, the beauty of this planet is that different areas have different climates. If you want cold, you can have it. If you want warm, you can have it. Some above posters do make some good points, the OP is getting a bit redundant and annoying. Just because someone doesn't enjoy tropical climates like Miami's doesn't mean that they would be particularly fond of Irkutsk, Russia. Just leave people alone. You can like whatever climate you want.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 06:17 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 9,266,382 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
You know, the beauty of this planet is that different areas have different climates. If you want cold, you can have it. If you want warm, you can have it. Some above posters do make some good points, the OP is getting a bit redundant and annoying. Just because someone doesn't enjoy tropical climates like Miami's doesn't mean that they would be particularly fond of Irkutsk, Russia. Just leave people alone. You can like whatever climate you want.
I think this is the first time that I actually agree with you , good post +1
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 06:32 PM
 
Location: In transition
10,669 posts, read 14,223,907 times
Reputation: 5081
I remember seeing a climate movie a while back where there were icebergs floating in Miami harbour.. can't remember the name of it.. but don't think that will happen anytime soon Balance is always the key especially when it comes to mother Earth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
12,903 posts, read 12,883,794 times
Reputation: 12946
Anyways, I got like 8 rep points for this thread subject so a lot of people agreed with aspects of my thread subject.

This isn't a contest, which has been pointed out to you. On the climate threads, "everyone likes my climate more than your climate", please I left that behind in grade school! Are you posting about warm weather constantly just to get all the "warm" folks to rep you??? Being on C-D isn't about points!

I've been posting on weather for maybe 3 yrs. if not closer to 4, and all this warm vs. cold is getting ridiculous. In the past, we have had perpetual whiners about cloudy days or cool temps, but those posts were always intermingled with other stuff.

We've always had good natured bantering among the regulars knowing full well some of us like cooler weather, 4 seasons and others don't. It has always been fun and light hearted, not a contest, and as regulars we got along, good natured bickering, and I just don't see that anymore.

Now it seems some people are always pushing their points and looking for a fight. There is no right or wrong. I don't like real warm weather, plenty of people do, I don't care and I don't try to convince them 4 seasons are better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Toronto
3,338 posts, read 6,416,233 times
Reputation: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I remember seeing a climate movie a while back where there were icebergs floating in Miami harbour.. can't remember the name of it.. but don't think that will happen anytime soon Balance is always the key especially when it comes to mother Earth.
Was it The Day After Tomorrow?



I remember this movie had some plot elements that were kind of implausible/silly from a real-life point of view (like the characters trying to outrun a frost), but it was meant to be a blockbuster disaster film and it was .

Don't know if this is what you're talking about (or if you meant an actual serious film/documentary on climate), but it reminds me of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 43,940,295 times
Reputation: 11001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
You both seem to be easily offended by anyone that doesn't have your weather preferences with liking bitterly cold weather.

My theory has not been debunked. Many people agreed with my thread subject and thought it was a great thread subject.
I don't feel it was debunked. No matter WHERE people live they usually have some control over their environment inside. If I had to guess, and it's only a guess, the average person likes to have temperatures between 70 and 75. Yes, some will set the air conditioner to 80, maybe higher, some will set the furnace to kick on at 60 or 65. But I don't think anyone prefers inside temperatures of 90 or above, or 50 and below. Most people will fall, however, within that preferred range of 70 to 75.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 07:11 PM
 
Location: In transition
10,669 posts, read 14,223,907 times
Reputation: 5081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Was it The Day After Tomorrow?



I remember this movie had some plot elements that were kind of implausible/silly from a real-life point of view (like the characters trying to outrun a frost), but it was meant to be a blockbuster disaster film and it was .

Don't know if this is what you're talking about (or if you meant an actual serious film/documentary on climate), but it reminds me of it.

I don't think it was the Day After Tomorrow but if I remember correctly it was a lower budget film that had a similar end-of-the-world scenario climate theme. I'll have to see if I can do some more digging to find the name... it escapes me right now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Destrehan, Louisiana
2,192 posts, read 6,658,834 times
Reputation: 3634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
It's true that cold weather doesn't literally cause the cold or flu -- it's a virus that does.
But the cold/flu season does come during the winter season.

I think there are many ideas as to why the flu/cold season comes at the time when the cold weather arrives, like for instance cold weather having an effect on people's immune systems, making them get sick more easily, people spending more times indoors when it's cold and catching it more easily in dense public places, less humidity in the air that dries out the air you breath etc., though I'm no expert on these things.

The cold and flu season is during the winter because most people are indoors. You can still get a cold or flu during the summer if you come in contact with someone who's sick.

Being indoors during the winter traps the virus indoors where most people are and that's why more people get sick then. Has nothing to do with the temperature

busta
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Toronto
3,338 posts, read 6,416,233 times
Reputation: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Being indoors during the winter traps the virus indoors where most people are and that's why more people get sick then. Has nothing to do with the temperature

busta
But I have heard that uncomfortable temperatures can influence people's immune system, which affects whether they are more likely to get sick or not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top