Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:51 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,461 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else think that weather reports should put more focus on wind direction? I think this is an extremely important factor in how the weather feels. In fact, in some cases it may be more important than temperature.

Often times, i notice it is about the same temperature on two different days in a week. But one day, the winds will be blowing from the North or Northwest, and it will feel cold. Another day will have the same temperature but winds blowing out of the South or Southwest, and it will feel warm and mild.

I have noticed that about 80% to 85% of the time when the wind is blowing from the South, i like the weather that day. Even if its only 50 degrees or so, it usually feels pretty good if you get a Southerly wind. When the wind is from the North, it feels chilly. Even a 75 degree day can feel more like fall weather than spring if you get a Northerly wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
I feel like the wind direction in the summer affects the humidity rather than the temperature. It can get hot with the sun beating down on the ground, but for it to get really humid you need a southerly air flow to bring moist ocean air.

I tend to like North wind in the summer, brings dry air and clear skies, while can be sticky and hazy.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I think they do give alot of information about wind conditions here, as many people also enjoy watersports and stuff that rely alot on the wind. Here in Perth wind direction is a major factor in the weather.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
They always include wind direction in the weather forecasts.

I love a cool north or northwest wind, especially during the summer.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:20 PM

You must be happy these days! We are getting a lot of days this spring with winds from the north. Kinda feels more like fall than spring.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:21 PM

Actually, i guess i should clarify that. I don't know where you live. In PA, we have been getting a lot of days with winds out of the north. It has been a very fall-like spring in my opinion, despite temperatures being close to normal.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:53 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Actually, i guess i should clarify that. I don't know where you live. In PA, we have been getting a lot of days with winds out of the north. It has been a very fall-like spring in my opinion, despite temperatures being close to normal.
I live in NW New Jersey, so the weather isn't much different. I think it's been the same here. Pleasant nonetheless.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:57 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
On the coast, it has been about what it should be at this time of the year - high 60's to low 70's. Been fairly dry too.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:29 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I hope I live to see the day the temperatures are adjusted for wind, as the number is generally meaningless. Also adjusted for humidity, giving the feel effect. Or merely give two numbers.

I exhaust myself with these temperature-only idiots, who negligently refuse to consider wind and humidity on temperatures.

If I tell a relative in MN that we can get below-zero windchill here, all they do is laugh, as if windchill only exists in the northern states.

I just love reading the weather map every morning, but there's always those missing clues. 32 in Chicago. No wind? Nothing painful about that! 25MPH wind, painful!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:52 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Depends on the station around here, TV comes from Green Bay which is inland from me even though it is on the bay.

I had Fox on last night and they gave no info about the lakeshore for today's forecast, useless.

ABC said winds would switch from W to ESE meaning lakeshore would be much cooler than inland today. The lake is still quite cold so we'll be in the high 50's, not the high 70's. Wind info is critical for communities along the lake. TR still has a few commercial fishing boats going out every day plus there is charter boat business, too.

Of course, businesses aren't depending on TV, they are monitoring NOAA plus the Coast Guard station is here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather