Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you prefer to live in?
Miami 37 49.33%
Rio de Janeiro 38 50.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:31 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,845,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
Man, unfortunately there's no way to fairly compair any brazilian city to an american one. Even though averages seem the same, when talking about cold invasions, they will always defeat us:

Santos lowest temperature ever: 8/2/1955 - 39F
Ft. Lauderdale lowest temperature ever: 2/16/1943 - 23F (source: NOAA)

See?

I know about your hatred to extrems events, but the point is, every winter, they get close to see temperatures like that and we don't.

Not true, not by a long shot. The truth is that, since 1943 and that 23F record, Ft. Lau got down to 28 on two consecutive nites in 1977, got down to 29 on one nite in 1985, down to 30 on two consecutive nites in 1989 and one nite in 1957. It is rare for Ft. Lauderdale to go below freezing. The record low since 1970 is that 1977 temperature.

Basically, Fort Lau has a 28% of hitting or going below 32F in winter, and a 3% chance of having a low of 28F in winter.

Interesting to me is how much colder a place like Brownsville, TX is to Fort Lau at the same latitude. Port Isabel has a 45% chance of hitting 32F in winter, and a 16% chance of having a low of 28. However, the most telling number is the % chance of occurrence of a max temp of 32F or less. Everywhere in FL south of and including Orlando, FL has 0% chance of this happening, however in Port Isabel, TX the chance of this happening is 10% - 11%. That means every decade or two the odds will catch up and you will have a winter day that does not get above freezing on South Padre Island, the warmest part of TX. . Having a high below 32F doesn't happen in Orlando, FL etc. That is why Texas cannot grow the tropical veg that Florida does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 03:34 PM

678 posts, read 1,200,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
[/b]

Not true, not by a long shot. The truth is that, since 1943 and that 23F record, Ft. Lau got down to 28 on two consecutive nites in 1977, got down to 29 on one nite in 1985, down to 30 on two consecutive nites in 1989 and one nite in 1957. It is rare for Ft. Lauderdale to go below freezing. The record low since 1970 is that 1977 temperature.

Basically, Fort Lau has a 28% of hitting or going below 32F in winter, and a 3% chance of having a low of 28F in winter.

Interesting to me is how much colder a place like Brownsville, TX is to Fort Lau at the same latitude. Port Isabel has a 45% chance of hitting 32F in winter, and a 16% chance of having a low of 28. However, the most telling number is the % chance of occurrence of a max temp of 32F or less. Everywhere in FL south of and including Orlando, FL has 0% chance of this happening, however in Port Isabel, TX the chance of this happening is 10% - 11%. That means every decade or two the odds will catch up and you will have a winter day that does not get above freezing on South Padre Island, the warmest part of TX. . Having a high below 32F doesn't happen in Orlando, FL etc. That is why Texas cannot grow the tropical veg that Florida does.
I was reffering at entire US when talking about frequency of powerful cold. Every year it's shown here on TV news that americans have snow up to his necks.

About highs below freezing: 2 years ago, on January 2010 Orland got very close to record that;

Jan. 9th 2010 highs:
Key West 53F
Miami: 44F
Orlando: 39F
Tampa: 38F

About Brownsville: It's really amazing how low termometers can go there. On Feb. 2nd 2011, high was only 36F and a low of 30F. I think that happens because of Rocky Mountains and its sister Sierra Madre Oriental; together they push cold air all over into Texas, as a bend on it's way, digging out through southern states(Mississipi, Alabama) before reaching Florida.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:37 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,523,874 times
Quote:
[/b]

Yes, but Central Florida doesn't have the rapid cooling/heating that South Texas has. South Texas also warms up faster in the spring. Having a stretch of 14 days with lows in the 30s and 40s*F, with an low of 28*F, and highs less then 60*F in Orlando is the same as having 3 days with highs in the 30s and 40s*F in Brownsville.

Brownsville Average Temperature:
Jan 2010: 61*F, absolute low of 29*F
Jan 2011: 62*F, absolute low of 39*F
Feb 2011: 63*F, absolute low of 28*F
Mar 2011: 73*F, absolute low of 47*F
Orlando Average Temperature:
Jan 2010: 54*F, absolute low of 28*F
Jan 2011: 58*F, absolute low of 30*F
Feb 2011: 65*F, absolute low of 39*F
Mar 2011: 69*F, absolute low of 44*F

Even with a mild February, Orlando's average temperature was only -2*F warmer then Brownsville's.

South Texas has nearly the same winter climate as Central Florida no matter how you word it, except South Texas has a wider range of temperatures in winter and warms up faster in the spring, almost to the South Florida extent (Miami's mean temperature in March 2011 was 74*F).

I know you'll never believe me, but South Texas is home to many Mexican natives that reach their northernmost natural distribution there.

From Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge: "The south Texas landscape is a unique blending of temperate, subtropical, coastal, and desert habitats. Mexican plants and wildlife are at the northernmost edge of their range, while migrating waterfowl and sandhill cranes fly down for the mild winters. This combination makes Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge world famous for its birds, and home to a mix of wildlife found nowhere else. "

Old 06-04-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Yes, but Central Florida doesn't have the rapid cooling/heating that South Texas has. South Texas also warms up faster in the spring. Having a stretch of 14 days with lows in the 30s and 40s*F, with an low of 28*F, and highs less then 60*F in Orlando is the same as having 3 days with highs in the 30s and 40s*F in Brownsville.

Brownsville Average Temperature:
Jan 2010: 61*F, absolute low of 29*F
Jan 2011: 62*F, absolute low of 39*F
Feb 2011: 63*F, absolute low of 28*F
Mar 2011: 73*F, absolute low of 47*F
Orlando Average Temperature:
Jan 2010: 54*F, absolute low of 28*F
Jan 2011: 58*F, absolute low of 30*F
Feb 2011: 65*F, absolute low of 39*F
Mar 2011: 69*F, absolute low of 44*F

Even with a mild February, Orlando's average temperature was only -2*F warmer then Brownsville's.

South Texas has nearly the same winter climate as Central Florida no matter how you word it, except South Texas has a wider range of temperatures in winter and warms up faster in the spring, almost to the South Florida extent (Miami's mean temperature in March 2011 was 74*F).

I know you'll never believe me, but South Texas is home to many Mexican natives that reach their northernmost natural distribution there.

From Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge: "The south Texas landscape is a unique blending of temperate, subtropical, coastal, and desert habitats. Mexican plants and wildlife are at the northernmost edge of their range, while migrating waterfowl and sandhill cranes fly down for the mild winters. This combination makes Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge world famous for its birds, and home to a mix of wildlife found nowhere else. "
I agree they have a similar climate, but those wider winter swings make all the difference. No matter how you slice it, having a full day that doesn't get above freezing to me is way worse than any cold wave Florida has. Of course, the record lows are lower in Texas as well.

Also, something else to keep in mind is that Jan 2011 was -1.5F below normal in Orlando, and Jan 2010 was -6.5F below normal. Meanwhile, in Brownsville, every month you put up there was above normal or just at normal. For Brownsville, March 2011 was +4.5F, and Jan 2011 was +2.6.
In fact the only "average" month Brownsville had (out of those listed) was Feb 2011 when they had a day that had a high of 36 (reached at midnite or thereabout) and a low of 28 (and below freezing temps all day long).

As far as veg in S. Texas, it can't hold a candle to Fort Lauderdale in reference to tropicals. Everything I've seen of S. Texas does look like central FL, but there is a big diff between central FL and Fort Lauderdale.

Also, it would be interesting if NOAA had a station right on S. Padre Island to compare lows below freezing there vs. Brownsville or Port Isabel.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I was reffering at entire US when talking about frequency of powerful cold. Every year it's shown here on TV news that americans have snow up to his necks.

About highs below freezing: 2 years ago, on January 2010 Orland got very close to record that;

Jan. 9th 2010 highs:
Key West 53F
Miami: 44F
Orlando: 39F
Tampa: 38F

About Brownsville: It's really amazing how low termometers can go there. On Feb. 2nd 2011, high was only 36F and a low of 30F. I think that happens because of Rocky Mountains and its sister Sierra Madre Oriental; together they push cold air all over into Texas, as a bend on it's way, digging out through southern states(Mississipi, Alabama) before reaching Florida.
Ha ha that is funny. I hate snow. The reality is that the last two winters saw unbelievable amount of snow in the NE USA. Here we average something like 19" a year and normally that would be a few 6"-8" snowstorms. It seems like the last few years we get these mega storms with 20".

Also, keep in mind that the US has a wide variety of climates, so that not all Americans are up to their necks in snow. Up to their necks in snow would be the Canadians.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:28 PM

51 posts, read 147,027 times
Quote:
[/b]

I agree that record low F.Lauderdale happened a looong time ago...people are taking so much in consideration january 2010,that happen only last year and it was very cool in Miami during a week,after that week temperatures were back to normal with sunny days even an extreme warm temperature was reach for january 2010.for example this january in Miami was almost back to normal,followed by a very warm february and march above average.[SIZE=4]22[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE] Actual:30 | 23 Precip:T Average: 25 | 15

Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 PM

678 posts, read 1,200,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabro View Post
I agree that record low F.Lauderdale happened a looong time ago...people are taking so much in consideration january 2010,that happen only last year and it was very cool in Miami during a week,after that week temperatures were back to normal with sunny days even an extreme warm temperature was reach for january 2010.for example this january in Miami was almost back to normal,followed by a very warm february and march above average.[SIZE=4]22[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE] Actual:30 | 23 Precip:T Average: 25 | 15
What I want you to understand is that even Florida sees lots of extreme cold episodes, besides 2010. As a Brazillian, tell me:

-What was the last time Rio de Janeiro had a cold event to be reported on TV????

If you ask any person in Miami, he'll answer: - Oh, 2 years ago. He don't have to go deep in his mind to remember 1943(assuming he knows about it), but we always have to say 1955 or 1975. Cold is long gone to us.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,523,874 times
Quote:
I agree they have a similar climate, but those wider winter swings make all the difference. No matter how you slice it, having a full day that doesn't get above freezing to me is way worse than any cold wave Florida has. Of course, the record lows are lower in Texas as well.

Also, something else to keep in mind is that Jan 2011 was -1.5F below normal in Orlando, and Jan 2010 was -6.5F below normal. Meanwhile, in Brownsville, every month you put up there was above normal or just at normal. For Brownsville, March 2011 was +4.5F, and Jan 2011 was +2.6.
In fact the only "average" month Brownsville had (out of those listed) was Feb 2011 when they had a day that had a high of 36 (reached at midnite or thereabout) and a low of 28 (and below freezing temps all day long).

As far as veg in S. Texas, it can't hold a candle to Fort Lauderdale in reference to tropicals. Everything I've seen of S. Texas does look like central FL, but there is a big diff between central FL and Fort Lauderdale.

Also, it would be interesting if NOAA had a station right on S. Padre Island to compare lows below freezing there vs. Brownsville or Port Isabel.
The record low in Brownsville/Port Isabel is 15/17*F and 18/19*F in Tampa/Orlando, that isn't a big difference subtropical vegetation wise.

Coconut Palm in Orlando after 2010, taken in September.

UPDATE royal, coconut and other tropical palms, Orlando on I-Drive - PalmTalk
Coconut Palm in Brownsville after Feb 2011, taken in March (there's a green spear emerging).

Brownsville Mar 2011 :: coconut.jpg picture by richtrav - Photobucket

Not much difference. You'd probably have to go down to Tampico to start seeing completely tropical vegetation.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:33 PM

51 posts, read 147,027 times
Quote:
What I want you to understand is that even Florida sees lots of extreme cold episodes, besides 2010. As a Brazillian, tell me:

-What was the last time Rio de Janeiro had a cold event to be reported on TV????

If you ask any person in Miami, he'll answer: - Oh, 2 years ago. He don't have to go deep in his mind to remember 1943(assuming he knows about it), but we always have to say 1955 or 1975. Cold is long gone to us.
that's because of the media exagerates too much,in south florida cold is a rare event ont the other hand hot and heat are almost and everyday event...
I hear so many people complaints about the heat here In Miami not the cold,i found the heat complaints to be very exagerated some places for ex near The equator for ex Fortaleza are like Miami all year round and the people don't complain too much about humidity and the heat..it get cold last year in places near the equator in Brazil and some animals died,the cold was nowhere that extreme but it was too much for a place near the equator..

Old 06-04-2011, 10:40 PM

15,317 posts, read 17,144,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabro View Post
that's because of the media exagerates too much,in south florida cold is a rare event ont the other hand hot and heat are almost and everyday event...
I hear so many people complaints about the heat here In Miami not the cold,i found the heat complaints to be very exagerated some places for ex near The equator for ex Fortaleza are like Miami all year round and the people don't complain too much about humidity and the heat..it get cold last year in places near the equator in Brazil and some animals died,the cold was nowhere that extreme but it was too much for a place near the equator..
It wasn't exaggerated by the media. As you say, Miami is obviously known for year-round warmth, so to have a pro-longed period of cool weather is unusual . The temperature was below 70 F for six consecutive days, mostly in the low 60s. January 8th reached 74 F, but the following two days were 63 F and 48 F, respectively. Then for three more days it was only in the 60s. Eleven days failed to reach 70 F. December 2010 was actually cooler on average than January 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather