Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 09:30 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I agree with that. The potential for cold air outliers is just far too high in the East even as you get quite far South. Looking at maps as a kid I would have imagined places like Georgia or Alabama are pleasant to warm all year...but then I saw that places like Atlanta or Birmingham can get significant snow events, and I was stunned.
That's what I noted at first when I was younger in elementary (I'm GEN Z). But then I also saw that snow events happened in East Asia, and saw coverage of the 2007 snow event in Buenos Aires. So I just assumed that the snow and cold was sort of typical for humid subtropical climates, just not nearly as often as in colder climates. It didn't help also that a lot of geography textbooks teach as if the US is the archetypical subtropical climate.

It was only through reading forums like this, as well as palm/gardening forums that I finally learned the true nuance that separated the Southern US subtropics from regimes elsewhere (i.e. the frequency of cold stds in relation to the mild-warm averages).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 02:02 PM

346 posts, read 198,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
That's what I noted at first when I was younger in elementary (I'm GEN Z). But then I also saw that snow events happened in East Asia, and saw coverage of the 2007 snow event in Buenos Aires. So I just assumed that the snow and cold was sort of typical for humid subtropical climates, just not nearly as often as in colder climates. It didn't help also that a lot of geography textbooks teach as if the US is the archetypical subtropical climate.

It was only through reading forums like this, as well as palm/gardening forums that I finally learned the true nuance that separated the Southern US subtropics from regimes elsewhere (i.e. the frequency of cold stds in relation to the mild-warm averages).
Yeah, I honestly find it very silly and tragic how the Southeastern US has the worst so-called subtropical climate in the world. It honestly makes me want to move sometimes as a warm weather lover and someone who wants to grow more subtropical plants without the stress of protecting them in the winter. At 35N, we should not be experiencing temperatures in the teens every year unless we way higher in elevation. Even though London has cooler winters than Raleigh, their winters are far more stable and they seem to be able to grow more than we can - and they are way higher than us in latitude. I lived near Frankfurt, Germany as a kid and we had colder days here in Raleigh than they had - it's crazy dude.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:52 AM

399 posts, read 255,554 times
Augusta, ga

Favorite - November through March is nice, it is fairly mild and we don't have the kind of winter weather the northeast or midwest does. Augusta's natural habitat is long leaf pine forests with undergrowth of evergreens like carolina laurel, I was exploring in the woods recently and it almost seemed like summer.

Least favorite - It is like a hot sauna for over half the year, very hot, humid summers with big bugs everywhere trying to fly into every hole they can find in your body. Also people here plant too many deciduous trees when there can be more live oaks, palms, ect, but this is more of a cultural thing.

If Augusta could cut 10-15 degrees from the summer temps and moved up to hardiness 9a where temps never went below 20 it would be ideal imo.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:14 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,947,993 times
Favourite:

- The odd 40C+ days can be a novelty
- Winters are rather sunny, which compensate the short "depressing" days
- Southerly busters which give relief from very hot days
- Fohn winds in late winter/early spring when it's snowing on the other side of the mountains
- Almost equally distributed sunshine hours throughout the year (so no "dark season")

Least favourite:

- Annoying east coast lows that bring a lot of rainfall
- No pronounced dry season
- Not as sunny as other cities on the same latitude and even those on higher latitudes. I mean, it's an embarrassing shame that cities in southeastern France like Nice and Marseille are sunnier than Sydney by 200 hrs...Let's hope they use the US system Lol (which overstates the sunshine hours)...
- Needs more hailstorms (east coast lows should at least give us those more)

Old 03-08-2021, 09:06 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
New England. I hate stick season. The leaves have fallen from the trees. The ocean temperature is in the 50s so you can’t do ocean things and the ski areas aren’t open yet other than one or two trails and white ribbon of death. I transition from spring skiing to boat with a couple of weeks in between to paint the bottom and catch up on yard work.

Last fall was warm into November. We were out on the power boat on November 10th and it was hauled, pressure washed, and dropped on my trailer on the 12th. That’s unusual.

Old 03-09-2021, 02:04 AM

284 posts, read 330,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Favourite:
- The odd 40C+ days can be a novelty
Christ after having 40C+ days the previous 4 years in a row they were becoming habitual rather than a novelty. I'm growing to dislike extreme heat but thankfully this summer's been really pleasant temperature wise without much heatwaves.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:12 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,947,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciTydude123 View Post
Christ after having 40C+ days the previous 4 years in a row they were becoming habitual rather than a novelty. I'm growing to dislike extreme heat but thankfully this summer's been really pleasant temperature wise without much heatwaves.
True that 40C+ days have become somewhat common and repetitive nowadays. So I will up it to 45C+ days then.

This summer was very pleasant indeed. But I disliked the amount of cloudy days we had. What's the use of pleasant weather when it's overcast? Why can't we get pleasant, sunny days instead? You only got those in spring.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:17 PM

585 posts, read 244,567 times
In Southern Ontario seasonal lag can be a pain, especially in Spring being right on Lake Ontario. Spring always feels like it takes forever to come most years and the lakes create their own microclimates which slows the transition down further.

Would be nice to get more sun in the Spring and Summers here as well. Winter's could use more snow but the snowbelts aren't very far.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:38 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,870,510 times
Fave things: mild winters compared to what it would be without the Atlantic influence.
Worst things: overcast most of the time. Drizzle and light rain. Cool summers.

Old 03-15-2021, 03:16 PM

176 posts, read 95,710 times
Our East Texas tornado alley.

Also, the fact that we can and have had tornadoes in every month of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather