Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 09:46 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times

Advertisements

It's a matter of preferences of course.

But look at it this way. If you're a cold lover, you've basically got it good in the UK. Cold enough in winter, plenty of cold in spring and autumn and also cold in summer quite frequently. You only got to worry about 26°C (if that's what is hot for you) maybe 2-3 days per year in an average summer.

But, if you're a heat lover, you're spending most of the year feeling too cold, uncomfortable etc... It's not practical to just move to some warmer country for various reasons, and you only get weather you can really enjoy on a handful of days a year.

So in that sense it would seem more "reasonable" to wish for warmer weather in summer when it is cool for many days, in addition to almost the entire winter, spring and fall, than for the cold lovers to complain so much about just one or two hot days in the summer.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:48 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
It's a matter of preferences of course.

But look at it this way. If you're a cold lover, you've basically got it good in the UK. Cold enough in winter, plenty of cold in spring and autumn and also cold in summer quite frequently. You only got to worry about 26°C (if that's what is hot for you) maybe 2-3 days per year in an average summer.

But, if you're a heat lover, you're spending most of the year feeling too cold, uncomfortable etc... It's not practical to just move to some warmer country for various reasons, and you only get weather you can really enjoy on a handful of days a year.
I think you mis-understand cold lovers in the UK. Most of us want snow, sub-zero temperatures day and night and crisp, sunny days. Overcast, damp and 9c in January is utterly depressing and certainly not what I want.

So yeah, when you consider the UK is as far north as parts of northern Canada, it's quite frustrating for us!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:50 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think you mis-understand cold lovers in the UK. Most of us want snow, sub-zero temperatures day and night and crisp, sunny days. Overcast, damp and 9c in January is utterly depressing and certainly not what I want.
In that case, I think a continental and/or subarctic climate would suit you better.

I would personally wish that I could have constant 30°C highs and 20°C lows and an every day thunderstorm from May - September but I'd likewise find I'd need to be in a continental and/or subtropical climate.

Not surprising that both heat and cold lovers can't be satisfied in the UK, with its temperate maritime oceanic i.e: boring climate of no extremes.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
In that case, I think a continental and/or subarctic climate would suit you better.

I would personally wish that I could have constant 30°C highs and 20°C lows and an every day thunderstorm from May - September but I'd likewise find I'd need to be in a continental and/or subtropical climate.

Not surprising that both heat and cold lovers can't be satisfied in the UK, with its temperate maritime oceanic i.e: boring climate of no extremes.
Yup. I adore thunderstorms, and really, the only place I could get that and snow in winter is a continental climate like Chicago.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:26 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
For weeks now the daily high has not been below 30°C here, most of the time closer to 40 than to 30
I should have bought food today, but I just couldn't force myself to go outside. Have had the blinds down all day to see no more sun and keep most of the heat out. I hate sweating
I loved the climate in the UK, in the winter cold enough to feel it's winter, but not cold as in freezing your butt off. And in the summer warm enough to feel it's summer, but not warm as in stifling heat.
If only Britain were not so ridiculously overpriced, full of aggressive drunk people, and obsessed with lack of style I would move there again...

Old 08-13-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
For weeks now the daily high has not been below 30°C here, most of the time closer to 40 than to 30
I should have bought food today, but I just couldn't force myself to go outside. Have had the blinds down all day to see no more sun and keep most of the heat out. I hate sweating
I loved the climate in the UK, in the winter cold enough to feel it's winter, but not cold as in freezing your butt off. And in the summer warm enough to feel it's summer, but not warm as in stifling heat.
If only Britain were not so ridiculously overpriced, full of aggressive drunk people, and obsessed with lack of style I would move there again...
I'm guessing you lived in Scotland? Us lot in England are all fancy and whatnot

Old 08-13-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'm guessing you lived in Scotland? Us lot in England are all fancy and whatnot
No, close to you actually, Sheffield

Old 08-13-2011, 12:06 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
No, close to you actually, Sheffield
Ouch

Quote:
I would have to agree with you. I loved England when I visited it, and going back again next year. I stayed in Windsor though, so probably I had a better experience than you

I agree with all the points you made about England. There's too many aggressive drunk people, chavs, and it's way overpriced.

The winters are nice. Here I've been told by my grandmother that winters are similar to Brandenburg's so that means freezing your butt off and getting buried in snow.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:20 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times
Another reason why so many people assocate sunshine and heat with great weather is because they somehow get an emotional boost when they see the sun come out every day. it is like they cannot live without the sun and it's as if they need it every day. I have been living in a sunny and dry climate for years and I just don't see what the fascination is with the sun and heat. Many people move to warmer and sunnier climates because they can't stand the cold. The truth is that these people are just trading one thing and getting another thing. It does not mean that what they came to is better than where they left. It is just different. The sunshine and heat I suppose is not bad if it is for periods of 3 months or less but when it lasts 5 months or more that is when it can be a real drag.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ouch

I would have to agree with you. I loved England when I visited it, and going back again next year. I stayed in Windsor though, so probably I had a better experience than you

I agree with all the points you made about England. There's too many aggressive drunk people, chavs, and it's way overpriced.

The winters are nice. Here I've been told by my grandmother that winters are similar to Brandenburg's so that means freezing your butt off and getting buried in snow.
The temps are similar, but buried in snow in Brandenburg?! That is pretty rare these days, maybe it was different 50 years ago. But today Brandenburg is a very dry region, drought is not uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather