Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:37 AM

914 posts, read 2,102,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
This is due to cheap energy and air conditioning.

I’m speaking of the Northeastern United States. By the way, my area is now and always has been the most densely populated area of the United States. By car, I’m within four to six hours of 25% of the population of my country.

I’m in the Appalachian mountains of Pennsylvania. Prior to air conditioning, city people and those further south would retreat to the mountains where it was 10 – 20 degrees cooler in underneath the shade of a deciduous forest. If they didn’t come to the many resorts that dotted all of Pennsylvania, they went to Atlantic City New Jersey and other destinations along New Jersey’s southern coast. The reason is simple. Because southern New Jersey juts out into the Atlantic, the ocean breeze keeps it 10 – 20 degrees cooler than beaches further north and south.

Once air conditioning and cars became the norm, these naturally cool places feel into disuse. Everybody thinks they love heat and sunshine because they shop in a/c stores, live in a/c homes, and drive in a/c vehicles. A/C is everywhere, especially in warm climates.

Texas for example, after a/c, the population of Texas exploded.

The average person is clueless, generally follows whatever’s trendy, and is incapable of independent thought.
Amen, you spoke the absolute truth. I'm glad there are still people with functional minds besides me! An average person in the US, exclude the extreme heat lunatics, would choose the cold over its opposite any day. Historically , the North has always been the population center. Before A/C became commonplace, the most frigid parts of upper Midwest was in no doubt more populated than any place in the South. Europe historically and until now had been the center of civilization & prosperity, with regards to social and technological progress, and it is definitely not a warm weather place. Of course there are forummers here living in tropical countries and they'll try to convince me otherwise, which I take with a grain of salt, considering how destitute their living conditions are. The only way of dealing with these heat criminals is to take away their all their a/c and fans, I'd like to hear them scream bloody murder.

Last edited by Kaul; 08-18-2011 at 09:56 AM..

Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,724,752 times
Yep. Cooling is simply more complicated than heating. You can always burn something in a fireplace and thus create a lot of heat, but how to create coolness without technology? Can't sit there all day swinging your hand fan till your arm falls off

Old 08-18-2011, 06:14 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,064,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Amen, you spoke the absolute truth. I'm glad there are still people with functional minds besides me! An average person in the US, exclude the extreme heat lunatics, would choose the cold over its opposite any day. Historically , the North has always been the population center. Before A/C became commonplace, the most frigid parts of upper Midwest was in no doubt more populated than any place in the South. Europe historically and until now had been the center of civilization & prosperity, with regards to social and technological progress, and it is definitely not a warm weather place. Of course there are forummers here living in tropical countries and they'll try to convince me otherwise, which I take with a grain of salt, considering how destitute their living conditions are. The only way of dealing with these heat criminals is to take away their all their a/c and fans, I'd like to hear them scream bloody murder.
I guess that explains why Barrow is so heavily populated while Miami is almost deserted.

The AC argument is irrelevant -- the fact is that we do have AC. Yes, prior to AC much of the South would have been less desirable than it is now, but we're not living in the 19th century anymore.

Besides, cold lovers can only tolerate their beloved -40 F temps by staying inside their 75 F homes seated in front of a roaring fire watching the snow fall outside (and maybe venturing outside for a few minutes at a time covered from head to toe in a dozen bulky layers). Which actually does sound nice, but I'd rather be warm outside and cool off by going swimming or going into an air-conditioned mall -- just the sorts of things I would do regardless of temps. Besides, even the very hottest climates are usually fairly comfortable at night.

I still maintain that San Diego has the best climate in the US due to having minimal need for either heating or AC.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:18 PM

191 posts, read 180,729 times
birds with a brain the size of your fingertip know to move twice a year. Nearly all of the US is fine for 6 months or so of the year, and then those same places suck for the other 6 months. So have a trailer or motorhome and move to where the climate and the rest of life suits you better.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:25 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,208,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I guess that explains why Barrow is so heavily populated while Miami is almost deserted.

The AC argument is irrelevant -- the fact is that we do have AC. Yes, prior to AC much of the South would have been less desirable than it is now, but we're not living in the 19th century anymore.

Besides, cold lovers can only tolerate their beloved -40 F temps by staying inside their 75 F homes seated in front of a roaring fire watching the snow fall outside (and maybe venturing outside for a few minutes at a time covered from head to toe in a dozen bulky layers). Which actually does sound nice, but I'd rather be warm outside and cool off by going swimming or going into an air-conditioned mall -- just the sorts of things I would do regardless of temps. Besides, even the very hottest climates are usually fairly comfortable at night.

I still maintain that San Diego has the best climate in the US due to having minimal need for either heating or AC.
Not really. The fact is that A/C adds a lot of stress to the grid and the environmental impact isn't ideal. As I've said before, the only practical way to stay cool during hot and humid summers is to run up the electric bill. Yes you can swim and run fans, but that only does so much after a while. "Toughing" it out is also an option, but for many, quality of life declines without it. It's very difficult to get a good night sleep when it's still 85 F and humid at midnight. Even when it does cool off at night, it takes quite a while for indoors to cool down. Food spoils faster and mold can become a problem.

While heating obviously requires energy use, it's much easier to set the thermostat at a low temperature, throw on a sweater, and put on a pot of coffee.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:31 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,029,812 times
After reviewing this thread it has become apparent that some people firmly believe that their opinion is the only sane opinion and anybody else that expresses their opinion is an idiot and shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinion.

When are people going to realize that some people don't like what you do and no matter how much you try to convince them, they still are not going to like what you do. That's ok, Everybody is allowed to have an opinion and it's wrong to tell somebody they can't have one.

This thread has been a sore spot and has had more reported posts, more deleted posts, more infractions then what is reasonable. As such:

Thread is closed.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 08-19-2011 at 05:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.