U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:50 PM

10,669 posts, read 14,380,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
They don't look continental to me, but they do look WRONG! It says 15.1/3.1 in January, whereas, as I wrote a few posts ago, its 19.3 / 7.7! Also, avgs for July are not -1.6 / -6.9, but 4.3 / -2.2

Rio Gallegos Aero., Argentina: Climate, Global Warming, and Daylight Charts and Data
Those numbers look a little more realistic I wonder if Rio Gallegos ever gets days in winter where the temperature never rises above freezing for several weeks. What do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 03:17 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Those numbers look a little more realistic I wonder if Rio Gallegos ever gets days in winter where the temperature never rises above freezing for several weeks. What do you think?
You mean, for several weeks in a row? Not that, but they never rise above freezing for two or three days in a row, yes, I think.

And some days the lows in winter can go to -15 C.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
You mean, for several weeks in a row? Not that, but they never rise above freezing for two or three days in a row, yes, I think.

And some days the lows in winter can go to -15 C.
Sounds like a Vancouver winter minus the rain....

Old 06-09-2011, 11:15 PM

2,789 posts, read 5,919,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. I might have gotten a false impression. The first time I was there it felt chilly and not that sunny for 3 days. 2nd time was nice weather more often than not.
Possibly. Most statistics show SF to be a fairly sunny city, with 3000 hours of sunshine or 66% possible. But again, different neighborhoods can register different sunshine totals.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:39 PM

11 posts, read 9,735 times
San Francisco, California has very cool summers, the fog rolls in off the ocean driven by the upwelling of inland air can bring San Francisco down into the mid 40s (!) in July. There are many invariably summer days when I am guessing it is the coldest city in the US. San Franciscans learn to always carry a bag with a sweater in it even (especially) on the hottest days.
I remember a lot of weeks when you see both hot and cold days alternating. Sometimes the fog will hover tight along the shore line and as the day heats up it will start moving eastwards, pouring over Mt. Sutro like a waterfall- a great subject for photography!

Including Alaska.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:17 PM

11 posts, read 9,735 times
Default more on SF Bay weather patterns

SF in summer often has a three day fog/sun cycle

In the summer along the CA coast you often see a temperature oscillation where its warmer for three days or so, then cooler for another three. The fog will hover off the shore in the midday san, then pour in in the afternoon as the inland warms up pulling the cold ocean air inward.

It can also get very cold along some of the East bay hills in the summer,
very very cold up by Grizzly Peak area (Berkeley/Oakland hills) sometimes in July, especially. Brrr.. Fog is much less frequent there than in far western SF but the temperature can get very cold even in July. Low 40s, high 30s! Someone who didn't expect it would be very surprised to see temps that cold in CA during the summer.

Its driven by the thermal gradient - a very cold ocean current which brings cold water very close to the shore, and the extremely hot and dry Central Valley.

The water temperature is very low, often cold enough to cause hypothermia.

You wont find many northern Californians swimming in the ocean north except in El Nino years.

During the El Nino, the ocean is warm enough to stay in, and you will see species from the south, like dolphins, tuna and barracuda.

The western part of San Francisco is nicknamed the "fog belt".

Some neighborhoods like the Richmond and Sunset districts, out by 47th Ave, are socked in for weeks in the summer.

Everything metal rusts. Its the salty air.

Other neighborhoods, especially the Mission (local expression "Its always sunny in the Mission") are reliably sunny in the summer and often can get quite hot. Gardeners can grow tropical plants like banana trees against south facing walls.

In the spring and fall, the weather is nice almost all of the time, everywhere. In the winter, it can rain a lot, but there are nice days in between the rainy days even in the winter. It can get cold quite a bit, upper 30s is quite common, but it almost never goes below 35. Maybe once or twice each year it gets cold enough to freeze somewhere, typically along the hills in the center of the city, but freezes are quite rare in many lower neighborhoods. Snow is even rarer. In 30 years of living there I only saw it snow enough to stick in San Francisco twice. OTOH Mt. Diablo in Contra Costa County gets snow every few years and people will drive up there to play around in it. Mt. Tam in Marin County being closer to the ocean gets snow much less frequently.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Sounds like a Vancouver winter minus the rain....
Yes, but RG is a bit cooler both in summer and winter. And, from what I've heard, it rains less than in Vancouver but it rains many days in a year; meaning, sunshine hours are quite low. But I'm not sure of this, I should check. BTW, apparently, the number of days with snow per year is the same for both: 10. (Despite Vancouver having more precipitation in the winter months). Sorry for the "apparently" and "from what I've heard"... I couldn't check the data...

PS: I've been in RG in the summer.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, but RG is a bit cooler both in summer and winter. And, from what I've heard, it rains less than in Vancouver but it rains many days in a year; meaning, sunshine hours are quite low. But I'm not sure of this, I should check. BTW, apparently, the number of days with snow per year is the same for both: 10. (Despite Vancouver having more precipitation in the winter months). Sorry for the "apparently" and "from what I've heard"... I couldn't check the data...

PS: I've been in RG in the summer.
Interesting... what was Rio Gallegos like in the summer? Do they have really cold days? Even here in Vancouver, there have been a few cold days where the highs have only been 12-14C.
Let me know what other info you can find on Rio Gallegos climate. I'm interested to compare with Vancouver.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:52 PM

6,491 posts, read 12,189,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Possibly. Most statistics show SF to be a fairly sunny city, with 3000 hours of sunshine or 66% possible. But again, different neighborhoods can register different sunshine totals.
It is interesting many statistics say San Francisco get average annual sunshine of 3,000 hours.

Whenever I see San Francisco weather forecasts it seems quite a bit less sunny than that and more around 2,500 annual sunshine hours.

I wonder how different can it be for sunshine and temperatures between eastern San Francisco neighborhoods and western San Francisco neighborhoods. I can not see how there would be much of a difference and I bet it is barely noticeable.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 06-10-2011 at 11:07 PM..

Old 06-10-2011, 11:01 PM

6,491 posts, read 12,189,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillium2024 View Post
San Francisco, California has very cool summers, the fog rolls in off the ocean driven by the upwelling of inland air can bring San Francisco down into the mid 40s (!) in July. There are many invariably summer days when I am guessing it is the coldest city in the US. San Franciscans learn to always carry a bag with a sweater in it even (especially) on the hottest days.
I remember a lot of weeks when you see both hot and cold days alternating. Sometimes the fog will hover tight along the shore line and as the day heats up it will start moving eastwards, pouring over Mt. Sutro like a waterfall- a great subject for photography!

Including Alaska.
These are the average highs and lows in San Francisco for June to September summer months:

June: 68/53
July: 68/54
August: 69/56
September: 71/56

That is kind of cold for the summer months but that is still generally mild temperatures. It is also not something that would put San Francisco in the "major cities in the world with the coldest summers." category.

Also, it shows the all time record lows in June to September is 47 degrees for June and July and 48 for August and September so not the mid 40s.

Also, heat waves still can happen in San Francisco from April to October where temperatures can reach the 90s, and even low 100s. These are the all time record highs in San Francisco for April to November: April: 94 May:101 June:103 July: 103 August: 98 September: 101. October: 102 November: 86

Also, San Francisco's average temperature for its "winter" and coldest months actually is kind of warm for that time period to the point where it didn't snow in San Francisco in 36 years. Temperatures can reach the 60s, 70s, 80s in December to March for San Francisco.

Actually, many days in January 2011 over there had warmer high temperatures than many days in July 2010, May 2011, and June 2011 in San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillium2024 View Post
SF in summer often has a three day fog/sun cycle

In the summer along the CA coast you often see a temperature oscillation where its warmer for three days or so, then cooler for another three. The fog will hover off the shore in the midday san, then pour in in the afternoon as the inland warms up pulling the cold ocean air inward.

It can also get very cold along some of the East bay hills in the summer,
very very cold up by Grizzly Peak area (Berkeley/Oakland hills) sometimes in July, especially. Brrr.. Fog is much less frequent there than in far western SF but the temperature can get very cold even in July. Low 40s, high 30s! Someone who didn't expect it would be very surprised to see temps that cold in CA during the summer.

Its driven by the thermal gradient - a very cold ocean current which brings cold water very close to the shore, and the extremely hot and dry Central Valley.

The water temperature is very low, often cold enough to cause hypothermia.

You wont find many northern Californians swimming in the ocean north except in El Nino years.

During the El Nino, the ocean is warm enough to stay in, and you will see species from the south, like dolphins, tuna and barracuda.

The western part of San Francisco is nicknamed the "fog belt".

Some neighborhoods like the Richmond and Sunset districts, out by 47th Ave, are socked in for weeks in the summer.

Everything metal rusts. Its the salty air.

Other neighborhoods, especially the Mission (local expression "Its always sunny in the Mission") are reliably sunny in the summer and often can get quite hot. Gardeners can grow tropical plants like banana trees against south facing walls.

In the spring and fall, the weather is nice almost all of the time, everywhere. In the winter, it can rain a lot, but there are nice days in between the rainy days even in the winter. It can get cold quite a bit, upper 30s is quite common, but it almost never goes below 35. Maybe once or twice each year it gets cold enough to freeze somewhere, typically along the hills in the center of the city, but freezes are quite rare in many lower neighborhoods. Snow is even rarer. In 30 years of living there I only saw it snow enough to stick in San Francisco twice. OTOH Mt. Diablo in Contra Costa County gets snow every few years and people will drive up there to play around in it. Mt. Tam in Marin County being closer to the ocean gets snow much less frequently.
You make some good points but some things I still disagree with.

Weather.com says San Francisco never had a temperature below 47 degrees in June to September.So low 40s to upper 30s seems like quite a stretch and not something that happens.

Also, I heard people swim in San Francisco ocean waters without a wetsuit during heat waves even in La Nina years such as last year in August 2010 when it got hot for a few days.

Also how many degrees warmer is it in the Pacific ocean water around San Francisco in El Nino years vs. La Nina years?

In La Nina years it seems like water temperature is in the upper 50s/low 60s which is cold but not hyperthermia freezing.

In El Nino years can it get into the upper 60s/low 70s for ocean water temps there?

How often do La Nina and El Nino years happen?

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 06-10-2011 at 11:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather