Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate - Vancouver, BC
A 12 17.39%
B 17 24.64%
C 25 36.23%
D 13 18.84%
F 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:02 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,589,222 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I'm not sure if this one was done but I thought I'd get everyone to rate my home city. I rate it as a "D" as I find overall it's too cold for me (I'd like it to be about 10C warmer at least in every season year round) but perhaps some of you may like the weather here?

Climate of Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:04 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,251,116 times
D-.

Too cloudy and cool for me (plus 165 rain days/year is a lot).
Wins points back for lack of extremes, at least from a Canadian point of view!

Climatic preferences aside, a lovely city and worthy of the positive press that you read about it.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:11 AM

5,900 posts, read 10,476,709 times
Great! another city to rate in my search of the "A" city. I ve been giving too much "D" and "F" lately! .

Its actually not that bad! Being Canada and all i was expecting a super freezing kind of thing but this one looks better than expected! VERY nice summers! Really cold winters but thats ok, though you maybe get depress for all the rain and clouds in the winter?.
The average highs for all months are good! The average lows are too low.

Anyways, despite the cold and the rain and clouds, it was better than expected and it has nice summers, so i will put it among the top of my list with the other "C" cities (in order of favourites: Buenos Aires, New York, Sidney, San Francisco, Vancouver): C-.

still waiting for the A city to arrive.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:24 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,436,946 times
C-. Not my type of climate. I like summers to be much longer and warmer. Winter temperatures are fine but there is too much precipitation and way too little sun. I think I'd have a serious case of SAD in Vancouver in winter. To me, crisp, freezing but sunny weather is preferable to cold, overcast and rainy one. C- might even be generous.

But lack of extreme temperatures, a long growing season, and close proximity to beautiful mountains and valleys, coniferous forests (my favorite type), and an Olympic winter resort keep it in the tolerable territory.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:33 AM

10,781 posts, read 8,694,990 times
After 20 years there, D for Depressing. All that %#$*(@&%! greyness and incessant drizzle!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:38 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,555,673 times
C-/D. A bit cool and wet, with not enought sun to compensate much. Lack of extremes mitigates things a bit. But it looks like a lovely city anyway.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:44 AM

914 posts, read 2,094,562 times
B+ for the awesome summer, though not as cool as I prefer and a little too long.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:57 AM

5,490 posts, read 13,863,048 times
There was no rate the weather climate thread created for Vancouver Canada.

However, there was one created for Seattle, but Vancouver still has enough noticeable weather differences from Seattle that Vancouver still deserves a rate the weather climate thread too.

While I gave Seattle weather a C+, I give Vancouver weather a C-, which is still a noticeable difference for grading.

Vancouver is actually a bit more colder and cloudier than Seattle.

Seattle's average annual sunshine is 2,200 sunshine hours while for Vancouver is 1,900. So Vancouver gets 300 sunshine hours less than Seattle on average which seems like a noticeable difference.

Also, I feel like the statistics that show average annual sunshine for Seattle and Vancouver are an overstatement!
To me, it seems like Seattle in reality gets 1,800 sunshine average annual sunshine hours while for Vancouver 1,500.

And in below average sunshine years like the year 2010 it seems like Seattle got only 1,400 annual sunshine hours while Vancouver 1,100. Seriously the year 2010 seemed to have below average sunshine where it was that bad. But then again above average sunshine years such as the year 2009 it seems like Seattle gets 2,100 annual sunshine hours while for Vancouver 1,800.

Also Vancouver has cooler and shorter summers than Seattle. Average highs from June to September 5 degrees cooler than Seattle, which makes a noticeable difference. Vancouver winters or some would say cold spring are usually a few weeks longer than Seattle and start a few weeks earlier. Average highs and lows in Vancouver are 5 degrees colder than Seattle for November to March.

Vancouver gets slightly more average snowfall than Seattle(19 inches vs. 12 for Seattle). It seems like they actually get less snowfall than that in reality. This past winter season Seattle probably only got 3 inches while Vancouver around 10. Portland probably around one inch.
Also Portland Oregon gets even lower average annual snowfall than Seattle and Vancouver! Only 5 inches average snowfall for Portland!

Also, Vancouver gets 10 more inches of annual precipitation than Seattle. 47 inches average yearly precip for Vancouver and 37 for Seattle.

I think they are both great cities but the weather is usually not one of the things they have going for them.
The weather in both places can still be good sometimes and sometimes even in extended time periods but usually the weather is not so great.

Last edited by *******; 06-13-2011 at 02:07 AM..

Old 06-13-2011, 04:49 AM

5,587 posts, read 10,583,437 times
More or less the same as London I'd say, except with two pros: the extra sun and the more snow (or at least having it nearby) and two cons: the extra rain and the slightly more anaemic summer temperatures. All in all, a C.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:53 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,555,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
Also, I feel like the statistics that show average annual sunshine for Seattle and Vancouver are an overstatement!
To me, it seems like Seattle in reality gets 1,800 sunshine average annual sunshine hours while for Vancouver 1,500.
False. Canadian climate normals show Vancouver as 1928 hrs average for 1971-2000. Not disputable.

http://climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/c...h1=0&month2=12

I can't be bothered checking sources for Seattle that quote actual sunshine hours and not percentages, but I have no doubt that the 1800 speculation is equally inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather