Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate this climate?
A 4 12.12%
B 10 30.30%
C 8 24.24%
D/F 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:29 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,425 times

Advertisements

Mendoza is a dry version of my region's climate. Latitude is very close too (32.3°N vs. 32.5°S)
D+ (the plus is because I assume it wouldn't be nearly as humid due to the dryness)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 10:04 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,955,988 times
Sounds pretty good to me (B+). Summer not as hot as I'd like, but nice and dry.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:16 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
C-. I would give this climate a B, but for the dryness. The temps look nice throughout the year. Dry climates don't appeal to me for places to live, fine for holidays though.

I thought you would get good starry skies in Mar del Plata?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:55 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Wow, what a great climate. Nice hot summer with a cool winter. Can't beat it. Great pics too. Stunning is right!

I like how Argentina is the complete opposite to us season wise, yet we are in the same time zone I think, or maybe one hour off. I really want to go there for a vacation and I think our Spring your Fall would be the best time.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:55 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times
A solid "B". Winters look decent and I like the fact that it's quite dry and with likely a high amount of sunshine. The scenery is definitely stunning!

Old 06-15-2011, 12:57 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
D

Too dry and mild. I assume it has a lot of sunshine too. The reasonably cool winters keep it from failing. Any place with an average winter high above 65 F gets an F.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,911,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Yeah, thepastpresentandthefuture, you are right, Mendoza is VERY beautiful! I visit there with my schoolmates when i was 15 and it was the first time in my life i saw the sky full of stars (here in BA you cant see many stars for the pollution). Also, the scenery is STUNNING! And the weather was just perfect! (i went in the beggining of october, wich is very early spring, and we had a week of 80s highs and 50/60s low. Just perfect!!)

here some pics:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
You are right about the dryness, too. I like a little bit more rain! or much more may i say (im very used to the rain since it rains lots here!). BUT,on the other hand, if the weather is dry, then the heat is much more bearable than in the humid BA when it always "feels like" more. And i guess the cold lows are much more bearable than what it seems, too.

So....for that, and for the beautiful scenery and reminding all the stars i saw and how great the weather was when i was there. I think im gonna go ahead and rate it with a B!!!

YAY!
Those are great pictures of the Mendoza Argentina area!
That did seem like a great time to visit.

Yeah, Mendoza does seem too dry for someone that likes rain and precipitation but that place still has great desert/semi desert scenery.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:37 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,218,725 times
Too hot and too dry but tolerable if I HAD to live there. Like to visit for the night sky, though.

C-.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 PM

839 posts, read 3,070,281 times
C. I would like a cooler climate throughout the year, but it's still more tolerable than Buenos Aires, given the dryness of Mendoza. Also, I don't like the occasional "Zonda" winds (the equivalent of the Föhn in the Alps) that raise the temperature dramatically, even if it's in the winter. I like the landscape though, and they say it's a very beautiful city (I only passed by on the bus twice).

BTW, and out of curiosity, there is something I can't quite understand. If Mendoza is at nearly 800 m (2,635 ft) above sea level, why its temperatures are very similar to a place like Rosario: http://www.climate-charts.com/Locations/a/AG87480.php, at the same latitude (33 S), but at only 30 m (98 ft) above sea level?

Instead, if you compare Bariloche (800 m): San Carlos de Bariloche - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia with Viedma (6 m): Viedma, Río Negro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, both at the same latitude (41 S), the difference in temp is more striking.

Anyone have any idea?

Cheers,

Old 06-15-2011, 11:22 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
C-. I would give this climate a B, but for the dryness. The temps look nice throughout the year. Dry climates don't appeal to me for places to live, fine for holidays though.

I thought you would get good starry skies in Mar del Plata?
Well, you can see stars, in a good-not cloudy night looking at the stars you might see some in Mar del Plata (in Buenos Aires....almost impossible, between the pollution and the lights from all the buildings, you hardly see anything) but nowhere as near as Mendoza. I mean, that was a sky full of stars! It was almost white. We were camping in an isolated place 50 miles away from the city of San Rafael. It was nightime and we looked at the skies everynight and OMG....it was awesome! I never again seen so many stars and i traveled and camping in a lot of places. I dont know what it is, but this was just different and so magical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Wow, what a great climate. Nice hot summer with a cool winter. Can't beat it. Great pics too. Stunning is right!

I like how Argentina is the complete opposite to us season wise, yet we are in the same time zone I think, or maybe one hour off. I really want to go there for a vacation and I think our Spring your Fall would be the best time.
Hey, you should came visit! You would LOVE Mendoza, its just a stunning place! And the season, well, it all depends on what you like, if you tolerate a little bit of heat, you might wanna come in October. The average highs are 26 celsius (79 f) and the lows 11 celsius (50 something). I camp there in the beggining of october and the weather was oh so wonderful! I dont remember suffering heat (and i do almost all the time) maybe for the dryness. We did rafting (navigate the rapids in the idontremeberitsnameriver) and it was cool and...wild!! hike, walk, etc.
And Mendoza has probably the best vineyards in the world since the best wine is done there. If you like wine, then you MUST go there. People from all over the world come just to see the vineyards and winerys that are there.
If you like more temperate weathers, go in the fall, it still has warm weather, not hot summery weather like in the spring, but nice lovely weather in the 60s/low 70s. And Mendoza is very sunny, too.

Oh, and theres so much to visit in Argentina: you can go to the Iguazu Falls (tropical weather so its hot all year), Córdoba (similar weather to Mendoza) and its beautiful landscapes, the Patagonia, the North (Jujuy, Salta, are supposed to be beautiful) and of course Buenos Aires, a vibrant, beautiful, exciting city with so much to offer you wont believe it. Probably the cultural center of LatinAmerica. Since we have all weather ranges in Argentina, i dont know what time of the year will be best to come: if you come in the fall, it will be beautiful in Buenos Aires, Mendoza, Cordoba and the north, but too cold in the Patagonia. Spring will be beautiful in BA, Mendoza, depend where you go on the Patagonia and the North, maybe too hot or too cold. Winter wonderful in BA and Cordoba but too cold in Patagonia. Summer will be hellish almost everywhere, specially in Buenos Aires! dont come in the summer!
I will recommend you to come in early spring (October) when everything will have fairly nice weather and sunshine and all the vegetation will be blossoming.

oh damn! I typed too much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather