Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Honolulu or Hilo?
Honolulu 14 42.42%
Hilo 19 57.58%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:43 AM

11 posts, read 17,274 times

Advertisements

Ummm...I want to say the place with more rain. I miss the colder months in NYC and the rain brings a cooler day with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 12:08 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
I'd visit both but wouldn't want to live in either. Perpetual summers..... between the two though I would certainly choose Honolulu over Hilo any day! Drier and sunnier! So over constant cloud cover and rain!

Old 06-25-2011, 05:15 PM

15 posts, read 41,818 times
Both areas have micro-climates, so very hard to answer this.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:33 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I've been in Hilo more than once and it poured during the day, as well as at night, to say most of the rain falls at night is a major stretch, major.

I've also spent three weeks in the Spring on Oahu and it certainly wasn't dry, not by any means.

I don't mind visiting Hawaii but it isn't all that perfect.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:59 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Honolulu. I know Hilo is tropical, but that misty rain as opposed to a thunderstorm, like in Key West or somewhere, just is drab and boring. Also, I prefer warmer weather in winter and summer, and Honolulu has warmer water.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:11 AM

777 posts, read 1,062,134 times
Honolulu by far. Warmer, sunnier and drier. Win.

just noticed.... 275 rain days in Hilo jesus christ WTF!!! That's almost as bad as the so-called "world's worst climate", Le Dump

Old 11-21-2012, 05:38 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
I'd vastly prefer Hilo. I have absolutely no trouble falling asleep when it rains, I grew up with a borderline Af climate so during the long 9 month wet season the rain would pound the roofs outside on a daily and nightly basis (you know one of those brief deluges). According to the nearest NOAA station where I lived, there's a mean of 234 days of measurable precipitation (>=0.01in/0.254mm), with a mean of 156 days where it would rain at least 0.1 inches/2.54mm.

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenorm.../pr/661590.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
Honolulu by far. Warmer, sunnier and drier. Win.

just noticed.... 275 rain days in Hilo jesus christ WTF!!! That's almost as bad as the so-called "world's worst climate", Le Dump
Heh, I'm used to that but the difference is, unlike Le Dump, Hilo's redeeming quality is that it's 26°C in the winter months. Can't say the same for Le Dump, all that rain and fog and nothing to show for it lol. Places like Le Dump and Macquarie Island (I'm assuming this is what Le Dump is based on?) need to be banned from Earth

Old 11-21-2012, 05:56 AM

777 posts, read 1,062,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Heh, I'm used to that but the difference is, unlike Le Dump, Hilo's redeeming quality is that it's 26°C in the winter months. Can't say the same for Le Dump, all that rain and fog and nothing to show for it lol. Places like Le Dump and Macquarie Island (I'm assuming this is what Le Dump is based on?) need to be banned from Earth
lol that's true. Hilo's temps make the rain bearable, especially if there is an ample amount of thunderstorms.

Le Dump is based on Macquarie Island, but I made it colder and cloudier (I actually located it based on cloudiness maps and averages - to get the realistically worst possible outcome), basically it's the cloudiest and drizzliest possible climate on Earth.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:59 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
lol that's true. Hilo's temps make the rain bearable, especially if there is an ample amount of thunderstorms.

Le Dump is based on Macquarie Island, but I made it colder and cloudier (I actually located it based on cloudiness maps and averages - to get the realistically worst possible outcome), basically it's the cloudiest and drizzliest possible climate on Earth.
Not only thunderstorms, but the vegetation is extremely lush. Hilo is a rainforest whereas its alter ego is bare rock lol

I'd love to know why the area around 55°S is so damn cloudy compared to 55°N. As a humorous sidenote, according to Google Earth's current conditions, it's foggy on Macquarie Island what a surprise

Old 11-21-2012, 06:07 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Honolulu's climate is fantastic, bordering on A+, so I'll obviously go for it, but I'd be far from unhappy in Hilo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather