Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 10:32 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,961,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I think 65 is pretty comfortable for an indoor temp, though I’ll start to get uncomfortable around 60 (despite this, on most winter mornings my room will be upper 50s).
One time my step-grandma left her house on vacation before the rest of us left and had turned the heat off. I slept downstairs and it was probably in the mid-upper 50s downstairs. I was shivering like crazy down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I sleep nude with a ceiling fan on and no blankets, only a light linen sheet that sometimes I kick off. Believe me, if you're naked with no sheets, you can sleep in warm temps no problem.

Part of why I can adapt to the heat is I am an Eagle Scout, I remember camping in the summer and sometimes temps were 90+F at bedtime. Yet I was so tired from the days activities I basically passed out.

I notice sometimes I wake up and my neck is sweating, that seems to be the only part of me that ever sweats at night and I think I know why, if you cool off your aorta you will be cool. I think my body just has a very efficient temperature regulation system for high heat.
I need to be covered a sheet and blanket to sleep well, because I like the feeling of weight on me. I can't sleep well if it's above about 75.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 05:41 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,823,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
I need to be covered a sheet and blanket to sleep well, because I like the feeling of weight on me. I can't sleep well if it's above about 75.
If you curl into a ball like animals do, it's quite comfy. I sleep with a pillow between my legs to absorb sweat (can't stand sticky legs). I also have a sheet between my chest and arm (so no body parts touch each other) but have nothing else covered. I sleep like a baby. I've perfected this summer sleeping after years of practice.

In the winter I have a sheet and a comforter, still sleep nude and ball up. I cover up to my neck, also sleep like a baby and I have the heat set to 68 at night, 70 in the day.

In fall and spring, transitional times I sleep like winter except the ac/heat isn't on.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:44 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,872,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I air condition my house to 78/79 and here in Austin there is a green movement to keep thermostats at 78 or above. My local bar has A/C at 78 but most of the time the garage doors are open at night for the nice evening air. They have misters that work wonders in dry heat.

If a place is too cold, I cross it off my list of places I patronage unless I've been working in 100 degree heat doing labor (like planting or something). For instance there is a Whataburger nearby that keeps A/C at 70, if I've worked in the yard all day I'll go there in the evening to cool the body core off.

Winter, fortunately, is short here in Texas. I hate being cold so if I get cold I'll crank the heat in my truck or house. I also will only frequent facilities that are in my comfort range, grocery stores the exception.

I work from home so no need to worry about being chilled to the bone, I'm always comfortable here.
Whew! 78-79F!

I would be sweating if I were there with you, lol.

I'm happiest at 66F-68F. I usually kick the thermostat down to 66 at night to sleep because I sleep really well when the room is cool.

That's good that you can control your working environment :: The entire wing of the office I work on is mostly women so I don't dare turn the thermostat below 78--last time I turned it down to 75 I almost caused a mutiny.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:49 PM

6,480 posts, read 6,138,581 times
I literally can't sleep with temperatures at 77 F / 25 C or above. I remember a night I was at a friend's house and the temperature was 77. Turned a fan on, light blankets, nothing worked, I could not sleep. Once the temperature was turned down to 70 F / 21 C I slept like a baby.

I keep my room at 61 F / 16 C at night when I sleep and that's only because the AC won't go any lower. I find a temperature of 57-61 F / 14-16 C to be ideal for sleeping. Above that, I can still sleep decently well up to maybe 68 F / 20 C without a fan or 72 F / 22 C with a fan on me. Above that, my sleep quality deteriorates rapidly until I can't sleep anymore at maybe 72 without a fan or 77 with a fan.

Average high and low where I live in the summer is about 88 F / 31 C and 68 F / 20 C, so inside, without AC would get into the low 80's / 27-28 C. During heat waves, it would get above 86 F / 30 C. I would get extremely cranky extremely fast and probably go 3 full days without sleep.

Also, I could never keep my A/C at 78 F / 26 C or above even awake. That's just TOO hot for indoors. I can deal with low-mid 70s F / 21-24 C indoors. Most women that I know would find 75 more comfortable than 78 indoors. Those that Marie Joseph works with must be very cold natured.

Air conditioning is literally a necessity for me between mid-May and late September.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:32 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,823,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I literally can't sleep with temperatures at 77 F / 25 C or above. I remember a night I was at a friend's house and the temperature was 77. Turned a fan on, light blankets, nothing worked, I could not sleep. Once the temperature was turned down to 70 F / 21 C I slept like a baby.

I keep my room at 61 F / 16 C at night when I sleep and that's only because the AC won't go any lower. I find a temperature of 57-61 F / 14-16 C to be ideal for sleeping. Above that, I can still sleep decently well up to maybe 68 F / 20 C without a fan or 72 F / 22 C with a fan on me. Above that, my sleep quality deteriorates rapidly until I can't sleep anymore at maybe 72 without a fan or 77 with a fan.

Average high and low where I live in the summer is about 88 F / 31 C and 68 F / 20 C, so inside, without AC would get into the low 80's / 27-28 C. During heat waves, it would get above 86 F / 30 C. I would get extremely cranky extremely fast and probably go 3 full days without sleep.

Also, I could never keep my A/C at 78 F / 26 C or above even awake. That's just TOO hot for indoors. I can deal with low-mid 70s F / 21-24 C indoors. Most women that I know would find 75 more comfortable than 78 indoors. Those that Marie Joseph works with must be very cold natured.

Air conditioning is literally a necessity for me between mid-May and late September.
I think being a camper I've gotten used to different temps. The only time I was very uncomfortable sleeping was at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, it was 100 when we went to sleep and the ground was hot. If I had brought a cot it would've been okay but since I didn't the heat coming from the ground was a bit much. I eventually got to sleep when the temp dipped into the 90's but I had to dip into a creek first to cool off.

Once you've been through that, sleeping in 78 is a piece of cake.

My view is why would I waste money keeping the house cold? It doesn't make sense. For heating, you have to heat because frozen pipes are very expensive to fix and if it's 0 degrees outside you might need 70F inside to ensure the pipes don't freeze (inside walls is colder than inside house). But the only reason to air condition is for humidity control and so keeping the house at 78 ensures that. Now, if I lived in the High Desert of CA where it never gets humid, I wouldn't have AC, I would just use a swamp cooler, they are effective there and much cheaper.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:27 AM

895 posts, read 597,637 times
Yeah, unnaturally low A/C settings in offices are pretty annoying. I don't have A/C and I'm not even close to needing it, but if I did have A/C in a climate with hot summers then 26-27C would be fine (both day and night), maybe a bit warmer if there's a fan. Of course offices need to be kept a bit cooler, but having it at the point where many people feel downright chilly is ridiculous.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:53 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,759,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
Yeah, unnaturally low A/C settings in offices are pretty annoying. I don't have A/C and I'm not even close to needing it, but if I did have A/C in a climate with hot summers then 26-27C would be fine (both day and night), maybe a bit warmer if there's a fan. Of course offices need to be kept a bit cooler, but having it at the point where many people feel downright chilly is ridiculous.
Better to have people feel chilly than be uncomfortably hot. If you’re cold you can put on a jacket, you can’t exactly wear shorts and a t-shirt or even less in an office if you’re uncomfortably warm.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:51 PM

434 posts, read 1,036,653 times
Some people do like fairly cool in their workplace, home, etc. Used to bother me a little bit when I first moved to GA, middle school and high school some classes felt like an ice box. But I didn't need a sweater or a hoodie, just a little annoying. Now I'm not really bothered or annoyed by ac set too low. Actually its the heater which bothers me more, if its 30s(or 20s) outside, I'm likely to walk out in the cold air with short sleeves into a building due to most likely going to be pretty toasty inside. I definitely prefer warm-hot than cold, but it is 70s inside and a jacket or coat is made for temperatures 40s or lower. I'm going to be sweating in there! Sure I can just take off the jacket or coat once inside, but the seconds-minute walk isn't going to freeze me, plus more to carry.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:10 PM

1,503 posts, read 602,100 times
Work from home, A/C on 80F year around. Perfect temp.
Used to work in the office, 68F - that was horrible. Freezing all day. What's up with these low temps, folks? Check you blood pressure!

Old 09-27-2019, 01:52 AM

895 posts, read 597,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Better to have people feel chilly than be uncomfortably hot. If you’re cold you can put on a jacket, you can’t exactly wear shorts and a t-shirt or even less in an office if you’re uncomfortably warm.
I'd consider it a waste of energy though, as often heat and A/C are set at about (or exactly) the same temp. Plus there are many places where the vast majority of people would feel chilly due to summer A/C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather