Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:22 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,179 times

Advertisements

I can't believe there are houses without central AC. Not only does everyone have it, and have had it for way longer than 10 years, we also have fans in every room. We use our fans even in our supposed winter. At work, if our AC ever goes out, we shut down. Too hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 03:27 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
In my area of southern california, I try to get along without using AC during the warm season months on all but the hottest afternoons when it exceeds 98F/37C. That usually adds up to about 10-12 days per season. I live in a 1 br apartment with other units above, below, in back and on one side. That means that I have just one southeast facing exterior wall exposed to hot sun in the late morning up to mid day, and one wall that faces a shaded entrance corridor.

Last week was warm, afternoon temps in the low 90F range, but after 6 pm it cooled off enough for fans to do a good job in cooling the air indoors. This morning the ocean fog rolled inland to my area, and that means nature's air conditioning is turned on and working great. This afternoon the temps are below 85F/29C. Looks like the entire week ahead will repeat today's conditions, so that means I should get by another week with no AC. All windows are wide open this afternoon with a light sea breeze.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:27 PM

77 posts, read 347,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
What's the difference between heat on at 60, AC on at 85? Both seem like a waste of energy to me.

I agree that is a waste of energy--In the case of most people. However, I usually contract headaches from heat (yes, 85 IS hot to me) so I'd rather just use A/C and save money in other ways, E.g. not turning the heater on during our so called "winter" like most do.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:20 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,589,354 times
I hate the A/C too.......when it doesn't work!

Old 07-15-2011, 03:40 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,980 times
I absolutely love A/C in the summers (and heating during winters especially when a horrid icy SWer is blowing). It's a real godsend especially during heatwaves and humid summer spells. If there were no A/C here then I would move to a cooler climate. Coming home to a A/C place after being stuck in the hot and humid area of the city is a big relief!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:44 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
I think AC feels kind of strange and unnatural, but here in the South it beats the alternative. In past years, I'd try to see how long I could go before finally turning on the AC. The longest I ever lasted was late April, and it was over 80 in my house and over 90 outside. It would take me hours to fall asleep at night, and when I'd wake up in the morning I'd be covered in sweat. It's simply too miserable here without it. This summer I just gave up and turned it on early in the year, set to 73, where it's been ever since. A couple of days ago I don't think my AC unit ever shut off even during the night. I woke up the next morning at 5:30am and it was 75 in my house, the AC struggling to get it down to 73.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
When I lived in Miami, and would get home to my a/c I would say, "God bless the inventor of the air conditioner!" and I meant it.

I actually now love a/c. It feels weird NOT having it even if I don't actually need it. I like that cool air...yes, I do like a nice breeze from the real air as well but I have grown very accustomed to that nice, cold, brisk air that I get from a/c.

I live in Maine and while it doesn't even come close to getting as hot as it did in Miami, there have been some unpleasant days so I got an a/c window unit and am enjoying it immensely.

But, when summer is over, I'll take it out of the window and enjoy the real, cool air in the fall and winter.

Now, the only thing that I hate about a/c in the office place is when they turn it on so dang cold that you have to wear a coat at work and the boss complains that you "wear the same coat everyday" to work. Well, turn the damn thing to a higher temp and I wouldn't be wearing this coat at my desk as I freeze my backside off!

Old 07-17-2011, 08:52 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I'm using the AC today more for the humidity rather than the temps! Just checked the upstairs 80 so I should be able to sleep with fans going, 1st floor is 77. My house isn't insulated so I don't go overboard with the heat or a/c.

We're having a stretch of high humidity so I keep the house closed up use the AC but has to be pretty bad, this is the 1st time this summer I've used it. I really don't like the AC because I hate closing all my windows/blinds, I rarely do and having to bugs me.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:22 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I love AC. I like it cold. Usually keep it between 68-70 in the summer.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:02 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,589,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I think AC feels kind of strange and unnatural, but here in the South it beats the alternative. In past years, I'd try to see how long I could go before finally turning on the AC. The longest I ever lasted was late April, and it was over 80 in my house and over 90 outside. It would take me hours to fall asleep at night, and when I'd wake up in the morning I'd be covered in sweat. It's simply too miserable here without it. This summer I just gave up and turned it on early in the year, set to 73, where it's been ever since. A couple of days ago I don't think my AC unit ever shut off even during the night. I woke up the next morning at 5:30am and it was 75 in my house, the AC struggling to get it down to 73.
Yup, I remember those days where the A/C wouldn't get down to the desired temp in summer in Texas even at night! YUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather