Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:43 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,170,350 times

Advertisements

Ok, i like the A/C when its 100 degrees out, but can someone please tell me why, on a beautiful 85 degree day, our office is so cold that i have to wear not one but two sweaters to work? I don't understand people who complain all winter long about how they hate winter, and then they turn the A/C freezing cold at the first hint of humidity. Enjoy the summer, people! You waited all winter for it. Obviously if you are a person who LIKES winter, then it would make sense that you like the A/C. But so many people complain about winter and then blast the A/C all summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 01:29 PM

5,900 posts, read 10,478,287 times
I love the A/C cause i dont enjoy heat at all. But i hate it when you are wearing nothing but a short and a slevless shirt and you get into a store and they have the A/C at 16c, lol! It gets freezing cause you are not dressed for it!

But if i could be dressed properly and the a/c in places wouldnt take me by surprise, then i would be happy about it. I rather work in a 60f enviroment than in an 80f one.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:40 PM

15,317 posts, read 17,146,581 times
I can understand how stores and offices would need it on a day like the OP mentioned, mainly because there's either no/locked windows or the building doesn't have good enough airflow. Homes OTOH can usually go without, unless it's really hot and humid.

A/C feels really good when needed, though some places do have it turned down too low. That's why I often wear pants in the summer if I know I'm going to be in an air conditioned place for any length of time.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:09 PM

5,587 posts, read 10,586,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Ok, i like the A/C when its 100 degrees out, but can someone please tell me why, on a beautiful 85 degree day, our office is so cold that i have to wear not one but two sweaters to work? I don't understand people who complain all winter long about how they hate winter, and then they turn the A/C freezing cold at the first hint of humidity. Enjoy the summer, people! You waited all winter for it. Obviously if you are a person who LIKES winter, then it would make sense that you like the A/C. But so many people complain about winter and then blast the A/C all summer.
You should come and work in my office then. We had the ceiling fans going all day, plus we got a couple of other fans out of the cupboard I'd never seen before...still made no difference whatsoever. Luckily I don't have to wear a full suit to work like some unfortunates I saw on the train back home but even dressed for the beach I couldn't really get any meaningful work done (or at least that's my excuse) - I've NO idea how people anybody managed/manages without any AC in proper hot climates which have more than a few days with a heat index in the 90s!

Old 06-27-2011, 02:13 PM

61,114 posts, read 85,934,275 times
The office temperature should be set so, that is pleasant for everyone. Usual range is 68-72F
Maybe there is a way to communicate it to whoever set up the thermostat??

Old 06-27-2011, 02:19 PM

650 posts, read 1,321,727 times
I agree, it's ridiculous and very unnecessary. It feels good for the first few minutes and then you start freezing.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:24 PM

15,317 posts, read 17,146,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
You should come and work in my office then. We had the ceiling fans going all day, plus we got a couple of other fans out of the cupboard I'd never seen before...still made no difference whatsoever. Luckily I don't have to wear a full suit to work like some unfortunates I saw on the train back home but even dressed for the beach I couldn't really get any meaningful work done (or at least that's my excuse) - I've NO idea how people anybody managed/manages without any AC in proper hot climates which have more than a few days with a heat index in the 90s!
Your office doesn't have A/C? Even for London, I'm slightly surprised.

This is why I believe the US south would lose population if A/C were to cease to exist for some reason. Can't be very productive when you're struggling to stay comfortable. Could you imagine sitting in an un-air conditioned office in Alabama in the middle of July?

Old 06-27-2011, 02:46 PM

5,900 posts, read 10,478,287 times
this discussion reminds me of a "curb your enthusiasm" dialogue. Larry was arguing with Loretta about air conditioning. She said she wanted at 75 at least! And Larry thought 75 was too hot, and he wanted the A/C at 68! Then Leon came and he said he wanted at 84!
Im with Larry btw, 68 its perfect! Higher than that its just too hot (specially when we are talking about summer! lol) ! Putting the air conditioning at 80 in the summer is insane!

But i guess this proves we alll disagree in terms of whats a "comfortable" weather. Some of us think is 68, some think is 80s. Thats why theres always someone who wont love the a/c temperature, lol

Old 06-27-2011, 02:55 PM

8,165 posts, read 8,690,720 times
No such fights here, it's 85 inside, want it or not. Today's high was 98 and I wouldn't mind an AC right now. But it seems people in Paris are allergic to AC. The bus I take is theorically air conditioned, but usually the driver doesn't bother to turn the AC on and when he does the customers open the windows so we can enjoy our 110F bus air temp.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:56 PM

5,587 posts, read 10,586,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Your office doesn't have A/C? Even for London, I'm slightly surprised.

This is why I believe the US south would lose population if A/C were to cease to exist for some reason. Can't be very productive when you're struggling to stay comfortable. Could you imagine sitting in an un-air conditioned office in Alabama in the middle of July?
Nope, just ceiling fans which are little more than decorations really for all the use they are. It's only seven of us in quite a big open space, so I suppose that helps in not warming it up. Normally we just open all the windows if it gets warm. The building was built a hundred years or so before A/C was invented, and in my experience older buildings are better at keeping a decent temperature. Same argument as for snow infrastructure here really, is it worth paying out for something you might need 5-10 days a year? Though saying that, A/C units for offices/bedrooms are probably a growth industry for the future if we keep warming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather