Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:22 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times

Advertisements

…and now the cold hits South America. The very cold winter of 2011 seems desteined to leave it’s mark on the Southern Hemisphere this year:

Crops in the world’s largest lemon-growing province suffered serious damages from more than 10 hours of frost over the weekend, website Lagaceta.com.ar reported. The Argentine National Institute of Agricultural Technology (INIA) Meterological Observatory, reported weather box temperatures of -3.5ºC (26ºF) in Tucumán province’s central zone on Saturday morning, while outside a minimum of -8.8ºC (16ºF) was reached, the story reported. The phenomenon lasted for nine hours on Saturday night, one hour on Sunday, while a low of -2.4ºC (28ºF) was registered yesterday.

Observatory technician Juan Rubén Pedraza, told the website frost damage to crops was accumulative, so longer exposure meant the damage would be much worse. “We must await the outcome of the evaluations, but the experience we have with these types of phenomena is to expect grave damage. To the east of the province the impact will be even worse than in the central zone,” Pedraza was quoted as saying. He highlighted last year the frosts caused serious crop damages, to the extent that the production of around 300,000 metric tons (MT) of sugar was lost, the story reported.

“The region also suffered a blizzard in late-June with conditions not seen since 1920

Polar cold wave hits South America | Fresh Fruit Portal

Meanwhile…

Five of South America’s major fruit-producing countries have witnessed an historic cold snap over the last week, including a snowstorm in the Argentine citrus region of Tucumán. Low temperatures were registered in Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Peru and Bolivia. The blizzard hit Tucumán on Friday in conditions not seen since 1920, while the Brazilian state of Santa Caterina recorded a wind chill of -25°C (-13°F), website Infobae.com reported. It will take time before the full consequences for crops can be seen across the continent, but Brazilian press reported Santa Caterina’s agriculture and livestock were seriously affected and 80 people have died.

Meanwhile the cold has killed 35 people in Bolivia

YouTube - ‪Cold snap kills 35 in Bolivia 07 04 11‬‏

I think we might see a record cold year in the southern Hemisphere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 02:27 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Anywhere in the southern hemisphere other than New Zealand getting abnormally mild conditions to balance it out? I've noticed over the years (more so in winter? I don't know) that for somewhere to get abnormal cold somewhere else gets abnormal mildness. For example, last December was record cold in parts of NW Europe, record mild in parts of Greenland.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:43 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Anywhere in the southern hemisphere other than New Zealand getting abnormally mild conditions to balance it out? I've noticed over the years (more so in winter? I don't know) that for somewhere to get abnormal cold somewhere else gets abnormal mildness. For example, last December was record cold in parts of NW Europe, record mild in parts of Greenland.
Yes, there are bound to be areas of compensating mildness. YTD numbers from NOAA (to end-May) show nothing special for the SH, land or sea. Our very small country has had its warmest May ever, and its 3rd warmest June.

There was a lot of publicity in July 2007 about a cold wave in southern Brazil, Argentina and Bolivia - and nothing at all about the large temperature excess that prevailed over 2/3 of Brazil (where I was at the time).

Old 07-08-2011, 02:56 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Yes, there are bound to be areas of compensating mildness. YTD numbers from NOAA (to end-May) show nothing special for the SH, land or sea. Our very small country has had its warmest May ever, and its 3rd warmest June.

There was a lot of publicity in July 2007 about a cold wave in southern Brazil, Argentina and Bolivia - and nothing at all about the large temperature excess that prevailed over 2/3 of Brazil (where I was at the time).
Heh, I remember early January 2010 when we were in the middle of our coldest 30-day spell for a generation (and other northern European countries likewise) and most weather publicity was along the lines of "OMG WTH IS THIS I THOUGHT THIS WAS IMPOSSIBLE THESE DAYS????!", not mentioning that somewhere in Crete had just recorded the all-time record high temperature for January in Europe (something like 32C or thereabouts).

Old 07-08-2011, 03:54 PM

678 posts, read 1,204,772 times
It is treally cold by now: Here in São Paulo, Brazil we have 51ºF(11ºC) when normal is 62ºF. Windchill is killing me, it's in 42ºF(6ºC) a harsh wind blowing from south just make the things worse. Last night we had 7.6ºC(44ºF) of low, and another homeless death was reported on a city near here, it's under investigation but probably it was the cold we're under, his death reason.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
It is treally cold by now: Here in São Paulo, Brazil we have 51ºF(11ºC) when normal is 62ºF. Windchill is killing me, it's in 42ºF(6ºC) a harsh wind blowing from south just make the things worse. Last night we had 7.6ºC(44ºF) of low, and another homeless death was reported on a city near here, it's under investigation but probably it was the cold we're under, his death reason.
From what you have seen…what is the furthest southward (toward the equator) that frost has been reported (0 C/32 F)? What are the offical numbers for the coldest night so far in Sao Paulo or Buenos Aries? Is there a site that one could find that information?

Also what is the damage report from the citrus industry from what you have heard? I read the above story about the lemon crops. I’ve been told by many Florida citrus growers that 3 hours of temps above 28 F are not harmful…but any lower temps or longer duration cold is damaging to the fruit.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
I'd be curious to know how cold places like San Carlos de Bariloche, Rio Gallegos and Ushuaia got...

Old 07-08-2011, 09:01 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,436 times
I heard Manaus (interior Amazon) dropped into the 50s*F...

Old 07-08-2011, 09:34 PM

839 posts, read 3,070,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'd be curious to know how cold places like San Carlos de Bariloche, Rio Gallegos and Ushuaia got...
For Bariloche the lowest I heard (read, in fact) is -11.6 C (11.1 F). That was the low for July 2 (if my memory serves me right). Obviously, the cold front passed over that area before hitting northern Tucumán.
I don't know about Río Gallegos and Ushuaia, but I don't think they're getting very "abnormal" termps. RG must have been with lows around -8 C. I didn't "heard" of anything exceptional there.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:01 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
From what you have seen…what is the furthest southward (toward the equator) that frost has been reported (0 C/32 F)?
Uhh, I think you meant to ask what is the furthest NORTHward (towards the equator) that frost has been recorded in the southern hemisphere. Actually, it gets below 0C/32F almost every night in the high altitude areas of South America, even on or very close to the equator. Altitude trumps latitude when it involves cold temps at night. I was in Bolivia at around 14 degrees south latitude and the temperatures overnight were about -6C/20F (at 4000 meters elevation).

As reported in other posts in this thread, low elevations in Santa Catarina state of Brazil saw temps below 0C, and that is at about 25 degrees south latitude. That would be similar to having freezing temps in Miami.

If anyone has watched the Copa America futbol (soccer) tournament games broadcast on TV this week from Argentina, the crowds at stadiums in Mendoza and San Juan look like they dressed for winter in Siberia.

Last edited by recycled; 07-08-2011 at 10:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather