Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 12:35 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Friends in Long Island, sent a picture of their house. It was also surrounded by trees, in a way you would seldom see here. I wonder if that is because houses are typically better insulated/heated over there, or less evergreen trees?.

I wouldn't like big trees blocking the winter sun. It would be time to get the chainsaw out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Friends in Long Island, sent a picture of their house. It was also surrounded by trees, in a way you would seldom see here. I wonder if that is because houses are typically better insulated/heated over there, or less evergreen trees?.

I wouldn't like big trees blocking the winter sun. It would be time to get the chainsaw out.
I love living in an environment with tons of trees. My house is surrounded by evergreens, hemlocks, and deciduous trees, including a beautiful oak tree. Unfortunately the hemlocks are dying of some disease so we're slowly cutting the down. My yard is a lot sunnier than it was 15-20 years ago.

I find farmland and treeless places boring.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:27 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Wow I almost never see rainbows. Last one I remember seeing one was in Orlando about ten years ago.
Sometimes I see 10 rainbows in a week here!

Old 07-22-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Why do you see so few in your part of the world?
Could be because rain usually means completely grey skies even in New Jersey.
About 3/4 of the time it rains in Toronto, the skies are completely grey, hours before and hours after a rain event.

Over here in SW WA, sun is often minutes behind rain.
Sometimes there's no sun after the rain,
but most rainy days there's always at least a trace of sun within 1 hr of rain.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Could be because rain usually means completely grey skies even in New Jersey.
About 3/4 of the time it rains in Toronto, the skies are completely grey, hours before and hours after a rain event.

Over here in SW WA, sun is often minutes behind rain.
Sometimes there's no sun after the rain,
but most rainy days there's always at least a trace of sun within 1 hr of rain.
Much the same here. A lot of our rain comes in short periods and often sees a total clearance, only for it to be raining again within an hour. Good for rainbows. Also lots of sunshowers.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Much the same here. A lot of our rain comes in short periods and often sees a total clearance, only for it to be raining again within an hour. Good for rainbows. Also lots of sunshowers.
I wonder if Melbourne's as lucky...

North America's weather isn't sounding very good, is it?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:44 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
We get a fair amount of rainbows in this part of North America.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I wonder if Melbourne's as lucky...

North America's weather isn't sounding very good, is it?
I remember Melbourne as not very wet, but showery when it was. The changeable summer weather sticks in my mind the most.

A lot of North America sounds hot and muggy as hell. I don't mind that sort of weather if work isn't involved (for a while), but I wouldn't want to be a garbage collector on the east coast at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
We get a fair amount of rainbows in this part of North America.
Does Vancouver get a lot of stop/start rain, thunder, and changeable weather?

Old 07-23-2011, 01:54 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Does Vancouver get a lot of stop/start rain, thunder, and changeable weather?
Yes, we get quite a lot of off and on rain throughout most of the year especially spring and fall. However, thunder and lightning here is quite rare, usually only once or twice a year at most.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:57 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes, we get quite a lot of off and on rain throughout most of the year especially spring and fall. However, thunder and lightning here is quite rare, usually only once or twice a year at most.
Sounds a lot like Christchurch.

Luckily for me I live near the airport so I often hear planes overhead and it sounds a little like thunder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather