Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times

Advertisements

Northern coastal Maine is protected by the warm waters of the North atlantic. So fall starts gently and moves gradually from about August 26 to late October--running a good 2 months and sometimes even more. But the waters are cold in the spring, and spring never seems to arrive, eventually going right into summer. Spring lasts from about May 12 when the leaves finally come out on the trees and then transits to warm summer temps at June 15, when summer arrives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 09:54 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
For the purposes of this thread, here is how I define fall:

High temperatures should be from 45 F to 55 F. Lows should be from 35 F to 45 F. Deciduous trees and other plants should be changing colors, with leaves dropping. Snowfall is allowed, but it should not accumulate much. In general, I prefer dry falls to wet ones, so try to minimize rain, but you can list wetter places too if you want.

So, what places have - on average - the longest period in which the weather meets these criteria?
I think we have a pretty long fall here in the Bay Area. Some of the leaves are just now starting to change color. Depending on the type of tree, some trees will still colored leaves in December. The last leaves should be dropping off the trees probably between Christmas and New Years Day. Unless a major storm takes them down first. So I'd say the Fall here is about three months. Beginning of October until the end of December.

The temperatures are a little warmer, then your ranges though. Especially for the highs. But come on, I don't know were you are from, but isn't 45 F to 55 F a little cold for the Fall? I think of Fall being more as 50s and 60s for the highs. Even in colder climates that I have lived in.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:18 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
New Zealand pretty much has the longest autumns/springs...

Old 09-05-2014, 05:24 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
United Kingdom, western most France, the low Countries in Europe.

Autumn starts in late September and ends just before CHRISTMAS. And sometimes it will drag on all WINTER...

Parts of the Pacific Northwest and Southwestern South America in the Americas.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:04 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,580,284 times
Well if you consider what the rest of the world define temperatures and seasons then Portsmouth gets: Autumn between mid September till mid February with some wintery weather practically in January and early February, and late February to early September are the spring months, with some summery spells in June and July...

Old 09-06-2014, 08:42 AM

123 posts, read 185,171 times
I think UK and Benelux are good contenders.

Our autum lasts at least from now until December. We usually have no severe winter and in many years no winter at all. Like last year. So autumn lasts from September to April.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:48 AM

607 posts, read 648,336 times
Last year it was autumn from October to early April. There was no winter: the lowest minimum was only -4C and the lowest maximum a ridiculous +3.5C. Usually if we get a mild winter there is a cold snap in November, March or April but not last year.

The year before 2012-13 autumn went on from June until early January (no summer) then March was the coldest month.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie79 View Post
Last year it was autumn from October to early April. There was no winter: the lowest minimum was only -4C and the lowest maximum a ridiculous +3.5C. Usually if we get a mild winter there is a cold snap in November, March or April but not last year.

The year before 2012-13 autumn went on from June until early January (no summer) then March was the coldest month.
Yea... Though August 2012 was warmer than August 2014, would you believe it?!
Anyhow here in Portsmouth spring usually comes in mid February as that's when the flowers start to grow and the leaves start to bud usually around early March. This year spring started very early, the dafs started growing in mid January and the leaves were starting to bud in February. We hardly get a winter at all here, but we may get a weeks worth of below freezing conditions in the city on average. This year, only had two days of frost and I live 5 miles inland from Pompy! Though it was a wet one last winter. Maybe this one will have record sunshine and mild temperatures??? (Na!.. )

Last edited by Jas182; 09-06-2014 at 02:10 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 03:07 PM

865 posts, read 1,076,341 times
We don't get a real winter here, just an extended autumn. Our average maxima are barely below 45F in January. I'd say that autumn here is September (sometimes starting in August) through to March.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
We don't get a real winter here, just an extended autumn. Our average maxima are barely below 45F in January. I'd say that autumn here is September (sometimes starting in August) through to March.
The only place we get a real winter are perhaps in the Highlands of Scotland, Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and the Welsh mountains. Though personally I like the snow being rare, because when it does happen (like every 10 years down here) it makes it that extra special! Plus you get a day off as no ones used to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather