U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:51 PM

333 posts, read 803,242 times

Advertisements

For the purposes of this thread, here is how I define fall:

High temperatures should be from 45 F to 55 F. Lows should be from 35 F to 45 F. Deciduous trees and other plants should be changing colors, with leaves dropping. Snowfall is allowed, but it should not accumulate much. In general, I prefer dry falls to wet ones, so try to minimize rain, but you can list wetter places too if you want.

So, what places have - on average - the longest period in which the weather meets these criteria?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 09:59 PM

3,733 posts, read 7,126,544 times
Check out Metlakatla, AK. Almost like a year round fall. The temperature ranges don't match exactly with what you outlined, and the rainfall amount is ridiculous, but it is still the first thing that jumped to mind.

Average Weather for Metlakatla, AK - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 07-10-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Check out Metlakatla, AK. Almost like a year round fall. The temperature ranges don't match exactly with what you outlined, and the rainfall amount is ridiculous, but it is still the first thing that jumped to mind.

Average Weather for Metlakatla, AK - Temperature and Precipitation
Not quite what I had in mind. I'm not really looking for year-round fall, because year-round fall isn't possible. You can only have fall if you have summer to precede it and winter to follow it - fall is a transition season that is characterized by the shift from summer to winter.

I'm willing to relax the temperatures a bit in either direction. Those are just guidelines.

You are very right; the rainfall totals are almost unbelievably horrid

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:04 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,316,677 times
With temperature variation of about 10 degrees, you're looking somewhere near a body of water. Water would have to be cold and far enough north for those temps. So maybe MAryland, Rhode Island, the northeast area?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
With temperature variation of about 10 degrees, you're looking somewhere near a body of water. Water would have to be cold and far enough north for those temps. So maybe MAryland, Rhode Island, the northeast area?
The variation doesn't have to be 10 degrees. 35 F low, 55 F high would work fine. Also, feel free to mess with the temps a bit. Now that I think of it, frost is common in fall so the low can be down to 25-30.

EDIT: I think I've figured it out! The start of fall is regulated by waning daylight and falling temperatures. It will happen earlier the farther north you go. But the end of fall - as I define it - only happens when the snow really starts to accumulate. So, what I really want is somewhere with cold low temps but low precipitation during the fall months. Am I on the right track?

Last edited by barney_rubble; 07-10-2011 at 11:30 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 03:20 AM

584 posts, read 1,086,613 times
By your definition, London's autumn lasts from November to March.

Nov: 52F/41F, 2.3" precip
Dec: 47F/37F, 2.2"
Jan: 46F/36F, 2.2"
Feb: 47F/36F, 1.6"
Mar: 53F/39F, 1.6"

Old 09-02-2011, 09:26 AM

175 posts, read 426,976 times
If you're talking about longest fall where the leaves are beautifully colored and there's not too much snow nor is it too warm, then I would suggest the Northeast area (especially a place like Vermont which can get really beautiful in the autumn).

Old 09-25-2012, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 104,867 times
After accounting for seasonal weather variations, once autumn leaves start dropping, it usually takes a relatively similar length of time until the last leaf has dropped in any deciduous forest from Florida to Maine. Leaf drop is something that trees ideally want to postpone as long as possible, and then get over with as quickly as possible. I've personally seen autumn occur as early as September and as late as December, depending on the locale. But it never seems to take more than a month or two. If you're looking for a place with an autumn that is consistently 3, 4, or 5 months long, I have yet to find it. If you find it, let me know.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:50 PM

76,654 posts, read 61,658,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
For the purposes of this thread, here is how I define fall:

High temperatures should be from 45 F to 55 F. Lows should be from 35 F to 45 F. Deciduous trees and other plants should be changing colors, with leaves dropping. Snowfall is allowed, but it should not accumulate much. In general, I prefer dry falls to wet ones, so try to minimize rain, but you can list wetter places too if you want.

So, what places have - on average - the longest period in which the weather meets these criteria?
Coastal Connecticut. Any snowfall that does accumulate is gone shortly after. Any temps that are under 30 are short lived and back to 45 we go. Sucks.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:01 PM

22,256 posts, read 26,565,297 times
If Coastal CT has the longest fall then we have no winter at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather