Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:33 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
And then they call Norfolk "Nor-folk". I almost have to laugh when they say that. Its "Naw-fulk"
I'd venture to guess that many of the good folks at the Weather Channel don't pronounce any other words with a Virginia accent; why should they prounounce "Norfolk" with one?

I'll agree with y'all about the suckage that is the Weather Channel. It's definitely shifted its focus away from good forecasting. The local forecast break-ins have gotten just as bad. I'm tuning in to look at the radar during a severe thunderstorm warning, and they're giving me the traffic report and golf course forecast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 11:46 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Ummm.... everyone I've ever known who has ever used the term "Mid-Atlantic" is referring to Virginia, among other states. Look at a map. Virginia is in the middle of the Atlantic coastal region of the USA, it's not in the SE corner.

Is this some sort of emotional attachment to the Confederacy that has you upset? I don't get it.
Actually, the Mid Atlantic is New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Deleware.

I have a map of the Southeast and Virginia is on it. Its really a South Atlantic state.

Most maps list Virginia on the Southeast.

Perhaps in recent years because of immigration from the Northeast Virginia is lumped in with the "Mid Atlantic".

Its climate is also Southeast. We have a humid sub tropical climate in Virginia. Like the Carolinas.

If Tennessee is "Mid South", it makes sense that Virginia is part of the Upper South and is where the South begins.

Last edited by vasinger; 08-28-2007 at 12:27 AM..

Old 08-28-2007, 09:00 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
I mean, there's nobody in Denver but some cowboys, indians, and grizzly bears. Right?
The West is so dangerous. It was very hard to get to Los Angeles. No wonder so many people live in California--it's too dangerous to go back East.

When they talk about the South, they over-emphasize Atlanta, snubbing DFW and Houston.

Then there is the Midwest. When they show the radar, Southern Ontario is blanked out. Why would a storm suddenly disappear from Michigan once it crosses the lake? And why is there a storm coming from nowhere (Ontario) headed towards Western New York State?

They should also include the temperatures of Canadian border cities like Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montréal, and Halifax in the continental forecast.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:21 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The West is so dangerous. It was very hard to get to Los Angeles. No wonder so many people live in California--it's too dangerous to go back East.

When they talk about the South, they over-emphasize Atlanta, snubbing DFW and Houston.

Then there is the Midwest. When they show the radar, Southern Ontario is blanked out. Why would a storm suddenly disappear from Michigan once it crosses the lake? And why is there a storm coming from nowhere (Ontario) headed towards Western New York State?

They should also include the temperatures of Canadian border cities like Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montréal, and Halifax in the continental forecast.
Houstoun ain't the South.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:51 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
I used to watch TWC regularly, not anymore. Bill Kenneley (sp?) was my favorite because he didn't "generalize" areas of the country like 95% of the meterologists do. It didn't hurt that he was originally from my old stomping grounds (Wayne, NJ)

I get my weather from accu-weather now. Much more point blank and they don't talk down to you like your an idiot...

Old 08-30-2007, 11:06 AM

448 posts, read 1,855,877 times
I haven't notice the Atlanta thing. I guess I need to pay more attention. I was probably too dizzy from all the movement around those people do on TV. That Jim Cantore guy, he needs to tone it down. Weather is not a Hollywood super stunt 007 movie. I swear, he thinks he is a super start. And what about all the sun tan they love to show off. They need to stay away from the tanning salon. Too much sensionalims is going into TWC.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:11 AM

448 posts, read 1,855,877 times
[quote=Skytripper;1364601]Yeah....I agree too...the Weather Channel did to weather....what MTV did to music videos...a long time ago.
Atlanta, Atlanta, Atlanta....blah, blah, blah.

Way too much advertising and never enough on current weather...or extreme weather in many other parts of the country.
Can't believe they pay people on their staff to travel so much for such lousy coverage of some storm that usually misses the reporter by hundreds of miles sometimes.
GREAT forecasting......

I noticed this when Hurricane Dean hit Mexico. The Superstar 007 Jim Cantore was in Cancun, a hundred miles or so away from the area where the hurricane was going to hit. I am sure they ment for him to be seen live on TV being blown away and hit on the face with sand as the hurricane arrive, but their bad forecasting had him so far away!!!! It should be call TNSWC, The Not So Weather Channel.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:19 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,987 times
[quote=HGONZ001;1390763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytripper View Post

I noticed this when Hurricane Dean hit Mexico. The Superstar 007 Jim Cantore was in Cancun, a hundred miles or so away from the area where the hurricane was going to hit. I am sure they ment for him to be seen live on TV being blown away and hit on the face with sand as the hurricane arrive, but their bad forecasting had him so far away!!!! It should be call TNSWC, The Not So Weather Channel.

I think they're just taking Cantore wherever and whenever for the ratings. Mike Seidel does all the dirty work. I felt so bad for him during the 2005 hurricane season. That man was getting blown around like a toothpick in Category 4-5 winds. He's a soldier, I tell ya!

Old 09-01-2007, 09:33 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
Well, I've just returned from a week in the Caribbean and wasn't able to use my laptop as much as I would have liked so I had to resort to TWC on cable for all my weather info both locally and back home. I know now why I really dislike what TWC has become...forget about national forecasts in the evening...everything has become "Storm Stories" or "Abrams & Bettes" or the new one coming soon called "Epic" something or other....jeez, I liked this network better back in the 80s and early 90s when it actually concentrated on doing weather and showing national forecasts/temps instead of turning into the Weather Channel "Today" Show with couches and lamps and rugs and chit chat, etc etc. It's going the way of MTV...I actually remember when MTV played music videos years ago....and unfortunately, I think I'll be able to say soon enough that I remember when TWC actually did weather and national forecasts. But I digress...I honestly couldn't get a good forecast for my home region while on vacation...they never show current temperature maps anymore...they skip all over the place when it comes to radars instead of showing the entire US radar...I'm totally over Atlanta and hearing anything else about it (I actually emailed someone a few years ago about the spin on Atlanta ad nauseum but never heard back from anyone) and in fact, while on this vacation, I got to see the drive time forecast and temps for Atlanta quite a few times...*groan*

And do we have to see Jim Cantore or any of the other weather folks standing in a hurricane being blown all over the place? It's almost embarrassing watching them stumble and fall and try to scream the weather on air while standing in a hurricane or intense tropical storm...we get it...it's windy and raining and no one should be out in it, including you guys at TWC. Can we get some other cable competition for weather like we do for 24 hour news?? Please??

Old 09-04-2007, 10:52 AM

309 posts, read 365,411 times
Default 940.....

So true....so true.
Everything you said.
TWC.....SUX.
They were a LOT better.....between 1987-1994.
They definitely AREor already have.....become exactly what MTV did to "music tv."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather