Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:55 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Poor Mn. will probably have an awful winter. I think they have a cloud hanging over their heads or a plague or something. First their bridge falls down and yesterday they had a gasline explosion. SO, they'll probably be 20 feet under snow this winter.
I feel sorry for them with the bridge incident. But not on the winter weather, they haven't had much of a winter for years! I remember traveling to Wisconsin last Christmas and traveling through Minnesota with a temperature about 40, no snow and almost no ice on lakes. Looked just like Oklahoma did when I left it. That's so out of the ordinary. This year looks to be shaping up more normally there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 04:00 PM

16 posts, read 52,772 times
Default Intellicast

Intellicast has the best online weather. I live in http://upperfalls.us/ with a population of just over a thousand residents and just look at http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=USWV9734!

Also, http://weatherforyou.com/ has the best weather icons that allow site owners to put local weather information on their site, free of charge! The data they use comes directly from the National Weather Service.

Almost all websites exclude small communities and this includes communities within urban areas. Ironically, this is true of nearly all sites that claim to have a "hyper-local" focus! The Weather Channel and AccuWeather are particularly bad.

By contrast, Intellicast and Weather for You serve every locality in the nation.

I'll also note that Weather Underground provides only partial coverage to these communities.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:01 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
I really think TWC "jumped the shark" when John Hope passed away. Nowadays you get too many "fluff" pieces and stories....

And to the earlier poster, Bill Keneely is the bomb. More on-air meteorologists s/b like him. Too often they can't name cities w/a population less than 500,000!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:09 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
There is a tendency here in the south to over forecast snow. I live in Charlotte and even the slightest chance of snow is overblown. Kinda comical actually
Ain't that the truth? I'm so tired of the false alarms we get. Maybe with the extreme weather we had in 2007 (record-shattering heat in August, December and other months, extreme drought, I'm sure I'm missing some other stuff), we'll have a real snow come in. There's a certain meteorologist, though, that appears to be anti-snow.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:57 AM

419 posts, read 2,018,749 times
Have you noticed that since the Weather Channel started having all these silly hour long shows many of their long term on air talent has disappeared? I notice they have eliminated about half of the on air staff. Who do you miss the most?

Old 01-02-2008, 03:28 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Have you noticed that since the Weather Channel started having all these silly hour long shows many of their long term on air talent has disappeared? I notice they have eliminated about half of the on air staff. Who do you miss the most?
I'm pretty young and didn't become a Weather Channel fanatic until about 8 years ago, so I don't remember a lot of the talent; however, I do miss Lisa Mozer, Sandra Diaz, Bob Child (my first TWC crush :P), and Paul Kocin.

Some of my favorites on the air as of now are Cheryl Lemke (that's my girl, no matter how boring others have accused her of being), Eboni Deon (I really started to love her when she got her hair cut for some reason), Ryan Goswick (another one of my TWC crushes ), Mike Seidel (that is one tough man--braving some of the harshest weather year-round), Paul Goodloe (another crush), and Alexandra Steele (because she looks like a diva, which makes me laugh and like her).

I also like Vivian Brown and Adam Berg when they're not always focusing on Atlanta Speaking of which, I'm sure Atlanta's gotten a LOT of attention today with this Arctic cold blast.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 AM

309 posts, read 365,077 times
TWC....WISHES they could say a blizzard was about to smack Atlanta, dumping 5 feet of snow......along with some huge tornado outbreak "ahead of this major cold front" that is wreaking havoc near Savannah and a very rare, yet "huge" CAT 4 hurricane just off the east coast of Florida........heading for the Georgia coastline.
How many on their crew would be "out in the field" awaiting this impending, freakish weather disaster for Georgia?
None of the girls would volunteer for this hazardous duty and one man would keep them "safe."
I dunno........but:

It could Happen Tomorrow, resulting in Epic Conditions and Storm Stories as the Full Force of Nature is unleashed on Atlanta, Georgia........hopefully, knocking TWC off the air for a very long time and the women of TWC all knocked up again when programming finally resumes.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:04 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
I'm not sure if I said this before. Maybe I did. Anyway, one of my pet peeves with the TWC is that they show the current temperature of Watertown, NY on the national map right over Upstate NY.

Watertown, NY is like International Falls, much colder than the rest of the State. For example, while it was in the mid-60s here in Syracuse, NY today, Watertown was only in the mid-50s. So when the whole country looks at Upstate NY on the national weather map on TWC, they see one of the coldest places in Upstate represent everything in Upstate NY.

I e-mailed TWC once a few years ago and asked them to change the location representing Upstate NY to Rochester or Syracuse instead of Watertown, not even a reply back.....

Old 03-03-2008, 12:20 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
I probably sound crazy, but there's actually more pet peeves I have with TWC...LOL

Today it is in the 60s in Syracuse, NY. Yet the Weather Channel paused the temperature at some point in the morning and gives that temperature the rest of the day. This happens almost every time it much warmer than normal in Syracuse. Do they do that with your city too?

Instead of the Weather Channel giving the current temperature like they normally do on cold days, they paused it at 43 degrees...which was the temperature at about 10 AM this morning.

If anyone is reading this within the next 3 hours, please take a look at the regional northeast map on this link:
Current temperatures - USATODAY.com

For some reason, they refuse to give the real current temperature in Syracuse...the low 60s. They left it blank instead. Strange!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:41 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
I see what you're saying. Buffalo and all the cities around it have a number and Syracuse didn't get one. Guess they figure it's about as important as the area I live in. We can have a raging snowstorm with 40 below zero and they worry because Florida may get down to 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather