Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 12:11 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times

Advertisements

I have a question about something strange I noticed growing up.

Sometimes when I (or other guys) have mentioned being uncomfortably cold there would often be at least one guy would make wise-cracks about someone's "manliness" regarding not being able to handle the cold.

In the summer when it's nice, like 70-80 F no one complains. When it barely gets warmer or hotter than "nice", I've heard many people complain about the heat, yet I've never heard anyone question someone's ability to handle any kind of heat.

It seems strange to me, because we get plenty of days warmer, hotter, muggier etc. than "nice"; so much so that it should be almost as familiar as winter cold.

Is this the same everywhere in the U.S., where it's "girly" to be sensitive to cold, but only human to not handle weather, say heat index of just 100 F?

Or is it just because I grew up in Canada that it's not un-manly to not be able to handle heat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 12:59 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
Heck, I openly complain when I'm freezing my stuff off or sweating like a pig in heat...I have never cared what anyone else thought! And if another guy wanted to be "manly" and pretend that his nipples haven't frozen solid and that his reproductive equipment has buried itself in retreat to escape the cold, then I'd gladly take his coat and let him be "manly" while I get warm!

Old 12-05-2006, 02:38 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
We have a guy at work who drives his motorcycle to work ALL YEAR ROUND! It gets COLD here. It was 25 this a.m. He attempts to de-manly-ize any of our co-workers who do NOT ride their bikes in freezing weather. He constantly calls them names for being "wimpy". It takes all types I guess.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:27 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I have a question about something strange I noticed growing up.

Sometimes when I (or other guys) have mentioned being uncomfortably cold there would often be at least one guy would make wise-cracks about someone's "manliness" regarding not being able to handle the cold.

In the summer when it's nice, like 70-80 F no one complains. When it barely gets warmer or hotter than "nice", I've heard many people complain about the heat, yet I've never heard anyone question someone's ability to handle any kind of heat.

It seems strange to me, because we get plenty of days warmer, hotter, muggier etc. than "nice"; so much so that it should be almost as familiar as winter cold.

Is this the same everywhere in the U.S., where it's "girly" to be sensitive to cold, but only human to not handle weather, say heat index of just 100 F?

Or is it just because I grew up in Canada that it's not un-manly to not be able to handle heat?
I've never heard of anyone saying it is sissy to be cold and girly to be sensitive to cold. Not everyone handles heat and cold the same, it doesn't matter if your male or female. It's stupid to say I'm a man so I'm going to go outside without a coat and it's freezing. Don't worry what anyone says. You're more sensitive to the cold and so what, doesn't mean you're any less of a man. I'm not sensitive to the cold and I'm very girly.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:59 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Maybe it's a regional thing to comment on cold then. I've also heard instead of "be a man" I've heard once to "be a Canadian."

That last comment was when I was 12 arriving by bus at school and it was 15 F. We were all supposed to wait outside everyday to be let in. I had a cold, or some other mild illness that morning that made me feel a bit colder and I asked a teacher who was supervising/guarding the door nicely to let me in with a promise to be quiet and maybe go straight to the library and in a very mocking, loud tone of voice said "Come on!... Be a Canadian!"

Because of him I actually hated Canada for about two and a half years. I know it sounds stupid, maybe it affected me more because I was so young.

It was only after leaving highschool did it seem that most adults honestly don't care if someone likes to "wear too many layers" here. Maybe it's also more common among boys. Kids sometimes tease about the stupidist things. (while that last comment was made by a man at least 50 yrs old )

It seemed strange to me that I could almost count on a some "ribbing" if I claimed I was too cold between maybe 40-45 F but yet it didn't feel appropriate to tease them if it was 90-95 F.

I didn't mind the kids teasing too much about the cold, just a bit annoyed at the fact that the "door never swung both ways" so I could feel just as "included."

Old 12-05-2006, 05:03 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Maybe it's a regional thing to comment on cold then. I've also heard instead of "be a man" I've heard once to "be a Canadian."

That last comment was when I was 12 arriving by bus at school and it was 15 F. We were all supposed to wait outside everyday to be let in. I had a cold, or some other mild illness that morning that made me feel a bit colder and I asked a teacher who was supervising/guarding the door nicely to let me in with a promise to be quiet and maybe go straight to the library and in a very mocking, loud tone of voice said "Come on!... Be a Canadian!"

Because of him I actually hated Canada for about two and a half years. I know it sounds stupid, maybe it affected me more because I was so young.

It was only after leaving highschool did it seem that most adults honestly don't care if someone likes to "wear too many layers" here. Maybe it's also more common among boys. Kids sometimes tease about the stupidist things. (while that last comment was made by a man at least 50 yrs old )

It seemed strange to me that I could almost count on a some "ribbing" if I claimed I was too cold between maybe 40-45 F but yet it didn't feel appropriate to tease them if it was 90-95 F.

I didn't mind the kids teasing too much about the cold, just a bit annoyed at the fact that the "door never swung both ways" so I could feel just as "included."
This morning the Propane guy drove onto my property, rang the doorbell at 8:30am and said I was at 20% of my tank and needed refilling, should he? I said: "YES!".
Then I grabbed my checkbook for the propane ( a hefty sum ) and then went to meet him where he had parked his truck on the far side of my garage and find out the exact total I owed. It was 18F outside. I was freezing my cajones off. He was in the driver's seat doing something and I said: "HURRY UP!!!!! I'm freezing!!". He's a very nice guy and I see him about three times a year, but he's slow as molasses and I was not going to stand in that cold on a driveway covered in ice and packed snow with my fingers going numb and my nose streaming liquid snot from the shock of the cold air and be patiently polite!

Old 12-05-2006, 05:22 PM

569 posts, read 1,229,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
We have a guy at work who drives his motorcycle to work ALL YEAR ROUND! It gets COLD here. It was 25 this a.m. He attempts to de-manly-ize any of our co-workers who do NOT ride their bikes in freezing weather. He constantly calls them names for being "wimpy". It takes all types I guess.
I too ride my motorcycle year round and the temperature where I live was 24 degrees this morning. The a.m. temperatures are going to be in the teens by weeks end. I prefer the extreme cold over the extreme heat just for the fact you can always put more layers on in the winter but you can only take so much off in the summer without being arrested.

I don't ride my "biker" co-workers about them putting their bikes away for the winter. After they tell ME that I'm CRAZY, I tell them that it is "a state of mind" and that is "70 and balmy" year round. If you think it is cold then you'll get cold that much quicker. Besides, there is nothing better than a nice "crisp" ride in the morning to get my mind set for work.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:42 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
I too think I might be a Canadian, or perhaps a regional (in cold climates) thing. I never have heard of guys insulting each other's manliness because they choose to wear a coat or hat when it's cold out.

On a related note, I rarely ever dress up as warmly as I should, don't wear coats that often and never wear hats, gloves or scarves. I guess by some people's definitions that makes me more manly. By others' more stupid. Or are those two terms interchangeable?

Old 12-06-2006, 06:41 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
Default Cool and crazy bikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
I too ride my motorcycle year round and the temperature where I live was 24 degrees this morning. The a.m. temperatures are going to be in the teens by weeks end. I prefer the extreme cold over the extreme heat just for the fact you can always put more layers on in the winter but you can only take so much off in the summer without being arrested.

I don't ride my "biker" co-workers about them putting their bikes away for the winter. After they tell ME that I'm CRAZY, I tell them that it is "a state of mind" and that is "70 and balmy" year round. If you think it is cold then you'll get cold that much quicker. Besides, there is nothing better than a nice "crisp" ride in the morning to get my mind set for work.
rdbeard5, you too are crazy! lol! For those who truly love their bikes, I can kinda understand why you ride all year! If I had one, I might just do the same. I am just trying to find a place to put my coffee cup

Old 12-06-2006, 09:39 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
I just consider people of both genders sissy if they make a big deal of a little cold, such as the "cold" in Florida. That isnt cold, the real cold is up north!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather