Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate would you prefer: Vancouver, BC or Seoul, South Korea?
Vancouver 26 44.83%
Seoul 32 55.17%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:37 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,589,222 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
Which climate would you prefer and why?
Despite the much warmer summers, I'd still choose Vancouver I think overall because of the milder winters and also much drier summers. Seoul's summers are extremely wet by comparison.

Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seoul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 02:48 AM

914 posts, read 2,094,562 times
Vancouver for cooler summers

Old 08-01-2011, 02:55 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,041,796 times
I choose Seoul. It's a true four season climate with a hot, humid summer and a cold, snowy winter. It's got it all -- heat, cold, snow, thunderstorms, pleasant autumn / spring days, heavy rain in summer, dry winters... all the hits, all the favorites.

Vancouver is rather boring by comparison. Besides, Seoul is warmer and sunnier on average. Also, consider that Vancouver is VERY wet during winter. While Seoul's winters are much colder they are very dry, which might make them feel just as mild.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:57 AM

414 posts, read 793,249 times
Vancouver. Seoul suffers horrendously humid summers (worse than Sydney's!) and the snowy winters aren't enough to compensate. Vancouver's surrounds (Whistler etc.) are snowier than Seoul anyhow, and for much longer. Summer temps in SW BC are pretty much perfect, comfortable temps and fine weather to enjoy the long days.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:03 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,695,542 times
Call me a Seoul Man!

I know people who moved there from Toronto.
They said April through October, it's NEVER cold.
By March, it is reliably much warmer than their winter, which is already typically mildish.
In summer it is never cool.
Their annual sunshine stats are also good.
Why give up a long, proper, perfect-for-warmth summer for a short, tepid summer?
Anything Canadian is disgusting by comparison, imho.
I HATE long cool spells in summer, especially followed by even cooler autumn temps.

Yes their winters have severe spells nearly as cold as Toronto,
but their winters are only about half as long, and most days MUCH milder than Toronto.

I would actually compare Seoul Korea closely to Washington DC,
with winters being a tad harsher, and summers a touch muggier/rainier.

I could see myself living in Korea,
putting up with a lousy Nov-Mar
for a stellar June-Sep and a pleasant Apr-May and Oct.

In Canada, the four seasons go like this:

- Nightmare (winter)
- Nasty (spring)
- Blah (summer)
- Nasty (autumn)

Old 08-01-2011, 06:29 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,311,084 times
Seoul beats Vancouver easily.

Winters ARE cold in Seoul, (colder than Boston or Indianapolis in the USA, for example), and Vancouver gains points from Dec – through March because it’s warmer. Yet, winters in Seoul have more sunshine than Vancouver, so that balances it out to a tie. However, once April comes, Seoul pulls ahead fast with warmer weather. By deep summer (June, July, Aug, and Sept), Seoul is almost 10 F warmer than Vancouver. Add in that Seoul is near 37 latitude - about 700 miles further south than Vancouver, so you get a good strong sun angle in Seoul all year, as opposed to the weaker sun up in NW Canada near 50 latitude.

Too me it's all about mean temps...and Seoul has three months that have mean temps over 70 F (21 C)...while Vancouver has none. Even the warmest two months in NW Canada struggle to get even above 60 F (15 C):

SEOUL: SEOUL CITY/AP, SOUTH KOREA Weather History and Climate Data

VANCOUVER: VANCOUVER INT. AIR- PORT,, CANADA Weather History and Climate Data

Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,342,448 times
Seoul is my choice because it gets much hotter and humider summers, and the winters aren't much colder than Vanouver.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:12 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,523,506 times
Seoul. Winters are a bit colder, but it warms up much faster and has warmer summers then Vancouver.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:34 AM

5,806 posts, read 11,821,445 times
Seoul is 11 degrees south of Vancouver, so there is hardly any comparison possible between them, they are not in the same climatic zones.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 AM

378 posts, read 704,389 times
Another tough one. 165 days of precipitation is just too much, but so is 15 inches of rain in July! Seoul winters look nice (though not wintry) but the other seasons are awful. I guess I'll vote for Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather