Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 11:50 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Have you experienced it though ? Both Santiago and Buenos Aires barely have winters.

Also the sunshine might be a factor, but what about the night time ?
To me clear night in the winter feels colder than a cloudy night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 03:35 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
To me clear night in the winter feels colder than a cloudy night.

Not to me, unless the temperature difference is huge.

That said there are many factors contributing to the sensation of cold and humidity is just of them. I generally feel less comfortable in very humid weather but apparently some other people prefer it.

Old 12-12-2020, 04:04 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Yep. It works the other way as well. You will overheat quicker in 105°F water (the typical hot tub) than you will in 105°F air
Water is just far superior at heat transfer than air. In fact, air is an insulator. The way double-pane glass windows work is, a thin layer of air between 2 sheets of glass diminishes the heat tranfer from outside your house to inside your house, in both summer and winter.

It is patently obvious that being cold and wet is worse than being cold and dry, for a given temp.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:33 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,871,071 times
All I will say, as someone who lives in climate with cold, humid winters, is that I find myself constantly under-estimating the temperature.

Today is actually a sunny day, but it feels very cold indeed. I would estimate the temperature outside as no more than 3-4°C, and that's wearing a coat and hat.

Now, I'm going to look at the actual conditions; It says: 7.9°C, 91% humidity. So "humid" cold indeed. It actually feels about 4 degrees colder to me based on my estimations.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:07 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
All I will say, as someone who lives in climate with cold, humid winters, is that I find myself constantly under-estimating the temperature.

Today is actually a sunny day, but it feels very cold indeed. I would estimate the temperature outside as no more than 3-4°C, and that's wearing a coat and hat.

Now, I'm going to look at the actual conditions; It says: 7.9°C, 91% humidity. So "humid" cold indeed. It actually feels about 4 degrees colder to me based on my estimations.
Wind could make a big difference. Normally the weather here is calm even when raining unless there is a strong storm from the ocean. And also the wind is lighter when cloudy for some reason. I think the normal wind speed here is about 3-8 mph in the winter unless there is a wind storm, but these rarely last longer than a few hours. So not just humidity matters how cold it feels. To me wind is more important than humidity or sky (cloudy vs sunny).

Last edited by Botev1912; 12-17-2020 at 02:20 PM..

Old 12-17-2020, 02:28 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,253 times
Quote:

Is not that it feels colder, but that it is less healty than dry cold, for the respiratory, bones, etc. instead, so in the end it produces a more uncomfortable feeling, wich may be mistakenly perceived as 'colder'. Plus you have to be more careful with humid cold/damp conditions in order to avoid any sort of hypthermia (the reverse but similar kind of trap you can experience with dry heat). But actually in the winter the key factor to make colder the perception of a given temperature is the wind.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Is not that it feels colder, but that it is less healty than dry cold, for the respiratory, bones, etc. instead, so in the end it produces a more uncomfortable feeling, wich may be mistakenly perceived as 'colder'.
I disagree. Not uncomfortable - just felt colder to me. I got colder quicker compared to other conditions which I also experience. I have no respiratory or other issues to do with anything weather related here. Also, there was no wind all day on this occasion.

I also disagree that perceptions can be "mistaken" - a perception of how something feels, which is what this thread is about, is what it is, and valid to the person experiencing it. You feel cold when your body is losing heat quicker, and vice versa. My body works pretty well and I'm quite aware of when it feels colder or warmer.

Last edited by Eman Resu VIII; 12-17-2020 at 04:10 PM..

Old 12-17-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Wind could make a big difference. Normally the weather here is calm even when raining unless there is a strong storm from the ocean. And also the wind is lighter when cloudy for some reason. I think the normal wind speed here is about 3-8 mph in the winter unless there is a wind storm, but these rarely last longer than a few hours. So not just humidity matters how cold it feels. To me wind is more important than humidity or sky (cloudy vs sunny).
The wind was precisely 0mph, and it was sunny, and 7.9°C with 91% humidity.

Old 12-17-2020, 04:45 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,402,894 times
To me it depends on if it’s sunny or cloudy. 5 C and sunny is a nice winter day here. Meanwhile 5 C and overcast is kinda chilly and I’d need a heavier jacket than 5 C and sunny.

Old 12-18-2020, 02:22 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:

That's exactly my feelings most of the time, although sun can mitigate the effect a bit

I mean, I've always felt nicer in slightly below freezing temperatures in the mountain where the humidity is very low, as opposed to a random 5c humid winter day down here. Unless it gets to, say, -15c, in that case it's a bit hard but still manageable with the proper clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather