U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate - Whitehorse,Yukon
A 10 34.48%
B 6 20.69%
C 3 10.34%
D 3 10.34%
F 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:06 AM

473 posts, read 548,614 times

Advertisements

F-. Bitterly cold winters, cool summers, low precipitation, low sunshine hours. This place has everything I hate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 07:02 AM

253 posts, read 642,360 times
B-

I've always wanted to visit Whitehorse, love the Yukon,
looks very scenic, especially Kluane National Park,
Canada's highest mountain, Mt Logan 19,551ft (5959m)
is located in the park. Those huge mtns block most pacific moisture,
making Whitehorse almost desert-like dry. It is strange
about number of precip days, must be a very low threshold

Summers look nice, winters ok too but start too early (Nov.)
but warms up nicely by March.

If you prefer warmer summers, Dawson City (farther north),
has summers with avg highs in the 70's F , however trade off is
much colder winters, Whitehorse feels like Miami in the winter
compared to Dawson City

Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 AM

5,593 posts, read 6,831,409 times
I give it a grade of A. I was surprised to see that Whitehorse had such a pleasant climate. Winters aren't too cold; in fact the temperatures are great by my measures. Record highs and lows are good. The rhythm of rain and snow (exclusive snow in winter, first rain in April) is just the way I like it. The only deficiency is that it cools down too fast in autumn, but this is made up for by the nice and mild summers, which are close to ideal temperature-wise. Record highs and lows in summer look good to me. Precipitation is on the dry side, but I like it that way. The only deficiency is that the wettest time of year is summer and it's drier in winter. If it was spread more evenly there could be more snowfall in wintertime; the figure of 57 inches is good, but I could do with a lot more than that. Unlike some other places, however, the level of dryness in winter is not a hinderance to maintaining a good snowpack. Sunshine is great by my standards, at around 1800 hours, and thus Whitehorse has the combination of cloudiness, low moisture, and low humidity that I like.

The hottest temperatures here have been recorded in June, with a gradual decrease in record highs as the summer progresses. It's curious that the second-hottest monthly record high is actually in the month of May. Whitehorse certainly exhibits a seasonal lead in Spring vs. Autumn. I certainly wouldn't complain about that.

It also looks like a better place to live than I expected. Although I didn't know anything about its geography, I also didn't expect the surrounding topography to be so mountainous. Whitehorse is certainly full of surprises, and one of the biggest surprises is that it was rated by one agency as the most comfortable climate in Canada. With the dominant dryness, cold winters, and mild summers, I have to agree with the high rating . However I can't say it's the best climate in Canada; there are places in Labrador that edge out Whitehorse for me.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 PM

778 posts, read 963,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertstorm View Post
F. Freezing icebox that recieves less sunshine than the confines of my colon.

I would be kinder and give it a B/C - winters are great, including those record lows and I like the low precipitation - but it could do with more sunshine and higher summer temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather