U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:29 PM

687 posts, read 1,084,202 times

Advertisements

It seems like the things are getting better for people from south(the ones who loves cold and snow, at least). At the same time, but on the other side of the world, we are expecting cold days once again here in South America. According to forecast, next weekend Brazil may face up one of most furious polar creepings within last 30 years. It may crossover Equator line, bringing cold even to Amazon..It's just the forecast, there's nothing entirely confirmed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 PM

15,308 posts, read 15,508,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
It seems like the things are getting better for people from south(the ones who loves cold and snow, at least). At the same time, but on the other side of the world, we are expecting cold days once again here in South America. According to forecast, next weekend Brazil may face up one of most furious polar creepings within last 30 years. It may crossover Equator line, bringing cold even to Amazon..It's just the forecast, there's nothing entirely confirmed.
Wasn't there record cold in the Amazon last year?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 PM

10,669 posts, read 14,231,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
I'd like to see freezing temperatures and blizzard-like conditions in cities like Belem and Fortaleza

Old 08-16-2011, 11:55 PM

933 posts, read 1,899,183 times
Hopefully this polar blast will convert the heat lovers/cold haters from Aussie land and New Zealand, namely ChesterNZ, ColdCanadian, and Desertstorm, into cold lovers. Seeing snow for the first time in their life must be a very magical experience, I can't imagine.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 AM

99 posts, read 114,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Hopefully this polar blast will convert the heat lovers/cold haters from Aussie land and New Zealand, namely ChesterNZ, ColdCanadian, and Desertstorm, into cold lovers. Seeing snow for the first time in their life must be a very magical experience, I can't imagine.
Have you ever thought of becoming a communist? They were good at converting people against their will. Oh, and no snow fell here in aussie land, in anything it got to 21C in Melbourne. lol

There have been snow flurries reported in AUkland with this event, at -36 latitude. I'm thinking if this polar front hit SE Australia instead, I reckon Hobart would've got Christchurch's snow, and there'd be definately snow around Melbourne's higher suburbs and hills, if not in the city.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:15 AM

5,127 posts, read 7,597,930 times
Quote:
The snow novelty wears off very quickly, in about a few hours. I'd rather be in Luxor for a few days, or even Death Valley, despite my optimum preference for warm rather than "hot".

Old 08-17-2011, 02:23 AM

2,688 posts, read 4,510,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The snow novelty wears off very quickly, in about a few hours.
I second that. How much did you get in your part of Wellington? I don't think it accumulated to more than a couple of inches in my driveway.

It was an absolutely horrible day here. Overcast skies and cold rain all day long. If you can imagine taking a cold shower in a freezer, it was pretty much like that.

Today was the third consecutive day with a high of 5 C. I guess this is what winter is like in places like the Pacific Northwest and much of Northern Europe.

The good news is that the forecast is looking much more optimistic now -- we should be back in the double digits by Friday and it should stay that way for the rest of the month.

Winter is going out with a bang this year! Only two more weeks until spring!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:28 AM

2,688 posts, read 4,510,909 times
Quote:
I've seen snow many times, it's just uncommon here (falling once every few years).

I wouldn't say I've been "converted" but my experience has confirmed my belief in a non-linear relationship between temperature and comfort when the temp is around freezing point. That is, I think snow at 0 C is much more comfortable than rain at 5 C. Hence, I think I would prefer to spend a winter in, say, Toronto than Vancouver.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:37 AM

5,599 posts, read 9,370,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post

It was an absolutely horrible day here. Overcast skies and cold rain all day long.
Today was the third consecutive day with a high of 5 C. I guess this is what winter is like in places like the Pacific Northwest and much of Northern Europe.
Yep, sounds very familar. I remember one year in March, 2005 I believe, where the weather pattern got stuck and it seemed to snow most nights for about three weeks, only it would get to 3-5C in the day and we'd just have cold rain make it into slush, which would then freeze overnight and get a fresh layer on top, etc, etc, and that same pattern with overcast skies and cold wind seemed to go on forever. Not nice, hence my preference that our winters were a couple of degrees colder so the snow we get wouldn't get trashed by the cold rain so much.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:18 AM

5,127 posts, read 7,597,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I second that. How much did you get in your part of Wellington? I don't think it accumulated to more than a couple of inches in my driveway.

It was an absolutely horrible day here. Overcast skies and cold rain all day long. If you can imagine taking a cold shower in a freezer, it was pretty much like that.

The good news is that the forecast is looking much more optimistic now -- we should be back in the double digits by Friday and it should stay that way for the rest of the month.

Winter is going out with a bang this year! Only two more weeks until spring!
About 1" (2.5cm) sat on the lawns for a few hours (we are about 80m ASL). Odd little clumps in sheltered spots hung on for a while on the following day. Today was pretty disgusting with the cold rain bursts. All this after a rainless first 10 days of the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather