U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:18 AM

15,261 posts, read 14,994,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Yep, sounds very familar. I remember one year in March, 2005 I believe, where the weather pattern got stuck and it seemed to snow most nights for about three weeks, only it would get to 3-5C in the day and we'd just have cold rain make it into slush, which would then freeze overnight and get a fresh layer on top, etc, etc, and that same pattern with overcast skies and cold wind seemed to go on forever. Not nice, hence my preference that our winters were a couple of degrees colder so the snow we get wouldn't get trashed by the cold rain so much.
Sounds like lovely late winter/early spring weather.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 PM

12,461 posts, read 11,480,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I second that. How much did you get in your part of Wellington? I don't think it accumulated to more than a couple of inches in my driveway.

It was an absolutely horrible day here. Overcast skies and cold rain all day long. If you can imagine taking a cold shower in a freezer, it was pretty much like that.

Today was the third consecutive day with a high of 5 C. I guess this is what winter is like in places like the Pacific Northwest and much of Northern Europe.

The good news is that the forecast is looking much more optimistic now -- we should be back in the double digits by Friday and it should stay that way for the rest of the month.

Winter is going out with a bang this year! Only two more weeks until spring!

That is around our normal high in January so yes you are correct. Welcome to our winter. Of course, we go much further below that at times due to the high std deviation.

You must be highly acclimated to a more stable winter, because the temps you are experiencing are around 10F below your avg high (low 50's), right? 10F temp diff from average happens quite often here and is a part and parcel of winter, year in and year out.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:30 PM

2,688 posts, read 4,353,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Sounds like lovely late winter/early spring weather.
Everytime you go outside it's like wading through shin-deep ice water. It is anything but "lovely". Give me a humid 100 F anyday!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:34 PM

2,688 posts, read 4,353,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
That is around our normal high in January so yes you are correct. Welcome to our winter. Of course, we go much further below that at times due to the high std deviation.

You must be highly acclimated to a more stable winter, because the temps you are experiencing are around 10F below your avg high (low 50's), right? 10F temp diff from average happens quite often here and is a part and parcel of winter, year in and year out.
Yes, it is rare to get a high below 45 F.

I guess the flip side is that you get a lot of warmish winter days too? Like 60+ F? We usually only get two or three of those days each month of winter.

Last edited by ChesterNZ; 08-17-2011 at 04:49 PM..

Old 08-17-2011, 05:18 PM

12,461 posts, read 11,480,908 times
Quote:
Yes, it is rare to get a high below 45 F.

I guess the flip side is that you get a lot of warmish winter days too? Like 60+ F? We usually only get two or three of those days each month of winter.

60F+ is pretty rare round these parts in January. Probably avg round one day or less over years. That would be +20F above the mean high. The rest of winter, yeah depending on if the winter is above normal or not. During the period 1981 to 2010 we averaged around 24 days over 50F, and 14 days with a high lower than 32F, between Dec and Feb. As you see, much more variation in winter than you get. Summer here is the opposite with a much more narrow temp range.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:51 PM

15,261 posts, read 14,994,908 times
Quote:
Everytime you go outside it's like wading through shin-deep ice water. It is anything but "lovely". Give me a humid 100 F anyday!
Have you experienced a humid 100 F? Not very pleasant, no matter how lightly you dress. Typically the heat index is much higher. My area frequently has the icy weather you're experiencing and I'm usually fine as long as I'm wearing a good coat and water proof shoes.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:37 PM

10,587 posts, read 13,540,854 times
Quote:
I totally know what that feels like. We usually get a week or so like that in a typical winter here. In a really bad winter we can get up to a month like that.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 PM

687 posts, read 1,052,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Have you experienced a humid 100 F? Not very pleasant, no matter how lightly you dress. Typically the heat index is much higher. My area frequently has the icy weather you're experiencing and I'm usually fine as long as I'm wearing a good coat and water proof shoes.
I did. Inland areas of my country usually get something like that during all the summer. It gets worse when it rains earlier in the afternoon. Half hour later, the sun starts taking all the water off the ground, turning it into a high humidity level plus temperatures above 95ºF, makes it feel like hell.

Just to answer your last page's question, yes, Amazon faced 3 days into 60's, when average high there is in the upper 90's. But this one which is about to come could be worse. I said "could" because updated forecast shows a lot less cold to whole Brazil in general. But, as we're talking about weather, the unknown and unpreditcable science, all things are still able to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather