Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you rate Cafayate weather?
A 0 0%
B 4 28.57%
C 3 21.43%
D/F 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:26 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times

Advertisements

So, I recently traveled to Argentinian northeast (beautiful place, btw, never been there before) and saw a lot of new types of climates and landscapes that i ve never experienced before. The one that caught my attention the most was Cafayate (a little town located in Salta province) weather cause its a unique weather. While Jujuy (located in the north, around 24 latitude) has a typical desertic weather due to altitude (its sunny, around 50-60 in the daytime, and it gets very cold at night) and Salta has a similar, a bit colder, weather, Cafayate, that is the driest place in the north (always 0% humidity) is much warmer, cause it have a microclimate (thats how we call it here i dont know if its the correct term): it means Cafayate climate its very different from their surroundings, always MUCH warmer. Also, its VERY sunny (320 DAYS a year of sunny days!!! ) and dry. So, its basically always hot. i went to a museum there and I read their temperatures and couldnt believe it. Searching online i only found one source of Cafayate temperature (cause Cafayate is a VERY small little town, very touristic though) and the temperature there seem colder than what i saw in the museum. Anyway, the temperature there also has a big range between day and night (days can be in the 80s in winter, and night in the 40s).
I was there for 3 days in the middle of the winter in the middle of a cold wave in all the country (including Salta, only 150km away, was around 5c) and the temperature was sunny, HOT and lovely (80-85f in day, 50-55 at night) and i never saw even a shadow of a cloud.
Anyways, do you like this type of weird weather?
would you be ok with so much sunny days a year?
would you be ok with 0% humidtiy all year?
would you like only being cold at night and being hot virtually all days?

i adjunt a picture i took, to show you what kind of landscape this little town has:

and this is the weather link :

Monthly and Yearly Weather Averages for Cafayate, ARG

wikipedia description: Cafayate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Thumbnails
Rate this weather: Cafayate, Argentina-dsc05118.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 12:55 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
I don't usually like dry climates, but this is ok. It has it's highest rainfall in summer (like NZ's driest region), so I think the humidity wouldn't be that low. Winter is dry, but I'm fine with that. Sunshine could be more than I prefer, 2500-2800 hours is enough for me.

The high rainfall in summer seems odd for a big wine growing area. Hold on, I've just noticed that the rainfall figures provided contradict the Wiki article

Take 2: If the Wiki article is correct, I wouldn't like this climate much, if the other figures are correct, it would be a B+ for me.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:59 PM

I know, i dont think the weather article is correct, the wiki is, specially with rainfalls. It doesnt rain much in summer or in the whole year for that matter. The museum person explain this to us, and the fact that 320 days of the entire year are sunny days do not make it possible to rain much, actually.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I know, i dont think the weather article is correct, the wiki is, specially with rainfalls. It doesnt rain much in summer or in the whole year for that matter. The museum person explain this to us, and the fact that 320 days of the entire year are sunny days do not make it possible to rain much, actually.
Yes, I think Wiki is probably closer, Which is a shame because the wet version of that climate looked really good.

Here is also a big wine region, and temps and rainfall similar to the other stats you posted would be a disaster. It's bad enough at times as it is, with our much more modest temps and rainfall.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:26 PM

Do you live in a wine region too? with mountains and such? I LOOOVE that kind of landscape!

I live in the humid pampa (or the inmense city thats been built on top of it) with 0 ft elevation and the endless horizon and the countryside surronding it. Pfffff...so boring!

Old 08-16-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Do you live in a wine region too? with mountains and such? I LOOOVE that kind of landscape!

I live in the humid pampa (or the inmense city thats been built on top of it) with 0 ft elevation and the endless horizon and the countryside surronding it. Pfffff...so boring!
Yep, vineyards and wineries everywhere. There are 2 wineries within a kilometre of here. It used to be a big tobacco growing region, but has been replaced by grapes and olives over the last 20 years or so. Apples , kiwifruit, berries and pine trees are still the main crops.

Lots of mountains too. I was talking to someone from Bahia Blanca recently, and she said the same thing as you, about the landscape here compared to there.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:27 PM

lol, really?
yeah, bahia blanca is in the southern part of buenos aires province, so their landscape gets to be pretty boring too. Buenos Aires province is almost all countryside and plain except of the coast (that can be quite beautiful) and the sierras (low montains) in the tandil area.
So, Buenos Aires landscape wise and climate wise it gets on my nerves sometimes, but thankfully it is a beautiful city (lovely archiqetcture and vibe) so i cant complaint there. I change a much perfect landscape city (beautiful Mar del Plata, by the sea) for this, cause i thought it was more beautiful.

Sometimes i wish i lived by the mountains though, like in Cordoba, Mendoza, the Patagonia, or the northeast (all beautiful places, i guess similar to where you live)

Old 08-16-2011, 10:46 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Looks like a fairly decent climate... winters look great

Old 08-17-2011, 07:11 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Pfffft I used to live in a wine growing region in SE England. In fact one of my mates owns a Vineyard down there in Berkshire.

Stanlake Park - Home

Old 08-17-2011, 11:26 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Too hot and dry...it is an F...

One area of Argentina that interests me is the province of Santa Cruz, especially the southern coast and the far inland portion. It is cold, isolated, and beautiful...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather