Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 01:24 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,198 times

Advertisements

^^ChesterNZ of course does not know what he's talking about. I'm not even gonna bother making counter-arguments anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 01:25 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,066,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Chester, im not seeing the poverty/race connection here, specially cause you dont seem to know what "race" means (if you are saying "latino" is a race).

Maybe you should explain what do you mean with the terms you use, so you can be understood by the rest. Thats the point of communication. Otherwise, we are all Humpty Dumptys here.
"Latin" is a very broad ethnic / racial grouping (like Asian). Persons from Central America (Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, etc.) tend to be the worst in economic terms and also experience the most violence and unrest. The further south you go the better the situation gets -- Argentinians, Chileans, Uraguayans, etc. are fairly civilised. Of course, these people are also the most fair-skinned of Latinos -- their general appearance is very similar to the people of Spain and Portugal.

As far as the US is concerned, I believe the most common Latinos are from Mexico and Central America. Many of these are there illegally and are a cause of much drug trafficking and crime, especially in TX, CA and AZ. This has been a very contentious issue recently. It goes without saying that their socioeconomic status is very low, just above African Americans.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
"Latin" is a very broad ethnic / racial grouping (like Asian). Persons from Central America (Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, etc.) tend to be the worst in economic terms and also experience the most violence and unrest. The further south you go the better the situation gets -- Argentinians, Chileans, Uraguayans, etc. are fairly civilised. Of course, these people are also the most fair-skinned of Latinos -- their general appearance is very similar to the people of Spain and Portugal.
Wow, stereotyping people based on their race? How small are you.
Regarding to the bolded sentence, good job, you've moved up to 3rd grade. Now connect the puzzle and tell me why the cooler/colder climates of temperate South America is not more propitious to productivity than the sweltering hot tropical climates of Central America. You can deny the fact as much as you want. Having lived in the tropics/subtropics, I found it quite hard to be productive, physically and mentally, during the summer months. Many people I talked to felt the same way.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
good job, you've moved up to 3rd grade. Now connect the puzzle and tell me why the cooler/colder climates of temperate South America is not more propitious to productivity than the sweltering hot tropical climates of Central America. You can deny the fact as much as you want. Having lived in the tropics/subtropics, I found it quite hard to be productive, physically and mentally, during the summer months. Many people I talked to felt the same way.
The widespread availability of AC make the heat irrelevant.

The fact is that caucasion persons tend to gravitate towards temperate regions while other ethnic groups mostly prefer the tropics. This is due to innate biological differences between the races -- for one thing, darker skin absorbs vitamin D (which is essential for good health and virtually unobtainable from food sources) less readily than lighter skin. Hence, lower latitudes are preferable for darker skinned persons. So the less productive darker skinned persons of South America tend to reside in the tropical regions while the more productive lighter skinned South Americans (those with the most European ancestry) tend to reside in the higher latitudes. If they were to trade places it would not affect their respective productivities.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
The widespread availability of AC make the heat irrelevant.

The fact is that caucasion persons tend to gravitate towards temperate regions while other ethnic groups mostly prefer the tropics. This is due to innate biological differences between the races -- for one thing, darker skin absorbs vitamin D (which is essential for good health and virtually unobtainable from food sources) less readily than lighter skin. Hence, lower latitudes are preferable for darker skinned persons. So the less productive darker skinned persons of South America tend to reside in the tropical regions while the more productive lighter skinned South Americans (those with the most European ancestry) tend to reside in the higher latitudes. If they were to trade places it would not affect their respective productivities.
so you're basically saying that dark skin causes people to be lazy?

Old 08-19-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
so you're basically saying that dark skin causes people to be lazy?
Your reading comprehension is a little sub par.

Dark skin and low economic productivity are both characteristics of certain racial groups. It's not that one causes the other.

I must stress that economic productivity is not the be-all-end-all of human worth. Many other aspects are also relevant, such as athletic capacity and musical talent, for intance.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:59 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,921,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think maybe genetics and ancestry plays a part, but I think it comes down to experiences and preferences. People who grew up in warm, sunny areas that move to cooler places often enjoy the change (like me). Whereas people like ColdCanadian, Deneb, and the Kiwis in here, grew up in very cold (CC's case), cloudy and damp places (Deneb and the others) would prefer sunny, warmer areas because that's what they are not used to and see on the TV or go on vacation as something exotic. They associate tropical heat with vacation and so, equate it with paradise. Whereas me, I equate tropical heat with school, sweat, lethargy, and restless nights. Basically everyday life.

On the ancestry front, it also applies to my mother because she is very German in looks (she is half German) whereas I'm about 3/4 Spanish and prefer living somewhere like San Luis Obispo County, CA or Málaga, Spain (my ancestors hailed from Andalucía and Galicia). I have the very dark, thick, straight hair, very dark eyes, and a slight permanent tan (olive skin I suppose?) that people associate with people from North Africa or Sicily or Greece. My climate preference is cool Mediterranean and Oregon has the best climate for my taste, especially west of the Coast Ranges.

10 Day Weather Forecast for Lincoln City - weather.com

San Luis Obispo, CA is my warm limit for being comfortable with most days in summer in the 70s and a few days in the mid 80s to low 90s.

10 Day Weather Forecast for San Luis Obispo - weather.com

Intersting and thanks for the reply. My supervisor's family hails from Galicia. When I went to Spain I went to Barcelona, Seville, and Cordoba. I was amazed at the variety of people. They almost appeared American to me with blondes, very dark hair, brown hair etc. It's funny but when I was in Spain they kept asking me if I was from Italy (I have black hair, brown eyes). Sorry for being off topic.

San Luis Obispo looks nice also, however, I don't like cold ocean water.
Spain doesn't have that problem on the Med.

Malaga has a great climate. I think Spain has some of the best climates in the world. Spain has S. California type weather, but on the Med side the water is beautiful. I was swimming off the beach in Barcelona at the end of September and the water was 75F. You'll never do that in CA, unless of course some freakish El Nino occurs.

You're lucky at least if you ever want to live in Spain you know the language, though they use Vosotros, unlike PR.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:34 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

I wonder if people with more European roots, who happen to have been born into tropical climates, feel much more at home in more temperate climates.
Think there is anything genetic to it? What do you think? However, I know some European people love high heat. Maybe it all just comes down to our own body type regardless of ethnic gentics.
Depends on HOW temperate.
If I could choose, I would prefer to see no mornings below 10 C/50 F, ever,
and I still wouldn't think that statistic alone makes a climate "warm."

I can sleep soundly when my bedroom's heat index is 100 F.
I have mixed European roots and I cannot understand why any of them
were willing to live north of 40 N if they were like me.

Winters in coastal SW Australia:
I feel cold to too-cold about 2/5ths of the time,
cool-to-lukewarm 2/5ths of the time
and warm-to-hottish only 1/5th of the time
I cannot wait for the return of Australian summer;
when chills are only momentary and my thirst triples!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
My main contradiction is that while I like warm temperatures, I also get bored easily if the weather doesn't change sufficiently.

I also kinda wish that the earth spun around the sun quicker. That way the seasons would be one or two months long instead of 3.
I love that; spin the earth quicker. Actually, faster orbit.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think maybe genetics and ancestry plays a part, but I think it comes down to experiences and preferences. People who grew up in warm, sunny areas that move to cooler places often enjoy the change (like me). Whereas people like ColdCanadian, Deneb, and the Kiwis in here, grew up in very cold (CC's case), cloudy and damp places (Deneb and the others) would prefer sunny, warmer areas because that's what they are not used to and see on the TV or go on vacation as something exotic.

They associate tropical heat with vacation and so, equate it with paradise. Whereas me, I equate tropical heat with school, sweat, lethargy, and restless nights. Basically everyday life.
I would actually prefer just an absense of difficulty mostly.
I can adapt to heat surprisingly quickly; 78 F Monday to 98 F by Thursday? Too easy!

Your "everyday life",
I basically can't feel that with a heat index below 95 F,
which means about 20-30 days a year where I'm from.[u]

Your "everyday life" is a dream for me, as it's 10-100 times easier imho than:

- 1/5th of the year so cold I can be in a passionate rage
- 1/5th of the year still too cold to perform regular tasks with my fingers
- 1/5th of the year where my fingers start working, but it's still uncomfortably-cold
- 1/5th of the year where all this finally stops, ranging from cool-to-very warm
- 1/5th of the year ranging from cool-to-very hot

2/5ths of the year in Toronto,
I'm trying to make up the the 3/5ths of the year that was a disappointment and waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather