Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:56 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonade View Post
This is the most simple and probably most posted question - in some form or another? Can you help:

In search of the perfect climate....that holy grail of weather - Does it exist in the US??!

Perfect climate: comfortable year round - no extremes - not too hot or humid in summer, not too cold in winter (spring and fall are easy - they are nice in most places.) AND lots of sun.

and here's the catch - not too expensive!!

Southern California seems like the best climate - except it's too expensive; South is too hot in summer, and too humid; Pacific northwest seems too grey and rainy; East coast, well...; the West/Southwest seems too hot in summer in most places but there could be some possibilities?

Where should we look?? We welcome ALL ideas - even the most farfetched!!!
San Diego!! However it's expensive. You get what you pay for I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 08:02 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I was in Santa Barbara in June - JUNE mind you! - and I was wearing a leather jacket & freezing my ass off!!! I was like "What the f*ck is THIS???!!!" It was in the 40's!!!!!!!! (Even in the DAY I was wearing the jacket!)

(I believe this was June of '96)
Elfyum; someone else already mentioned that 79 F in summer was unusual, possibly record breaking warmth for Santa Barbra. (sounds depressingly cool to me, lol) Even San Fran. isn't warm, but it has palm trees, not because of warmth, but but simply the absense of harsh frosts.

I get the impression you probably wouldn't want to visit anywhere in Canada, even in summer, unless it's during a heat wave. (wouldn't blame you, lol)

Here in the Toronto area, we've had some weather I KNOW you would be sweating in. Once in a while we get some real gems. One of my favorites was 100 F in the day, 94 F at 11 pm (I went out skateboarding *grin*) and the most it cooled of before sunrise was 85-86 F. I would expect we had a dewpoint around or above 80 F as well. That was 10 yrs ago, but I thought you'd find it neat that we do get tropical-like heat from time to time.

I also responded to a question you directed at me and/or the guy from Minnesota in my last post, in case you were wondering.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:15 AM

61 posts, read 275,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Take Eureka, California for example: January is 54 F day and 41 F night while August, the "hottest" time of year averages 61 F day and 53 F night. The cold Pacific combined with mountains seems to keep them from having distint seasons. I've heard all the way up to southern Oregon it's mild and cool year-round to.

You also might like coastal Maine/New England. Slightly inland summers might be low 70's F on average but the water is always stays cold (from a swimming point of view) which would probably mean temps above 80F are near impossible, at least on the coast. This far north summer is also quite short and thanks to the ocean, it probably doesn't start until July.
Hmm, yes, music to my ears!

Old 09-09-2006, 12:27 AM

7 posts, read 39,831 times
Wish I could have a better reply; however, SoCal and Hawaii meet all your criteria EXCEPT $$$. That's it!
SE-too humid and hurricanes
Midwest-flat, cold and dull
SW-dry, hot, dusty-produce and seafood very costly
NW-rainy, gray, damp
NE-cold, $$$
If you are close to retirement spend summer and fall in NE and winter/spring in sGA, Sc, NC or nFL. That's our plan.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymm
NE-cold, $$$
If you are close to retirement spend summer and fall in NE and winter/spring in sGA, Sc, NC or nFL.
Well if the original poster (who I can't even remember by now! ) could afford that combo, they can just move to HI or SoCal!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian
I also responded to a question you directed at me and/or the guy from Minnesota in my last post, in case you were wondering.
I gotcha!

Old 09-09-2006, 06:22 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I was in Santa Barbara in June - JUNE mind you! - and I was wearing a leather jacket & freezing my ass off!!! I was like "What the f*ck is THIS???!!!" It was in the 40's!!!!!!!! (Even in the DAY I was wearing the jacket!)

(I believe this was June of '96)

40's?? We start taking our coats off at those warm temps

Old 09-10-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
40's?? We start taking our coats off at those warm temps
LOL! I know a few people here like that... Sounds like you enjoy the Idaho weather, nice!

Old 09-10-2006, 01:20 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
LOL! I know a few people here like that... Sounds like you enjoy the Idaho weather, nice!
If the wind isn't blowing and the sun is out, 40 feels great in comparison to -15

Old 09-10-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If the wind isn't blowing and the sun is out, 40 feels great in comparison to -15
I know what your taking about, especially right after a long hard winter. One of my favorite things to do is on the rare occasion it's above freezing, sunny and calm (any of those are common here, just not all at the same time. ) I like to bundle up and go for a walk through the woods nearby. I love the feeling of bright sun, reflecting off snow on a calm, dry and sunny day. That combination can make the sunshine feel 70 F or more.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:33 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
The Perfect Climate:

Georgia
Now where else can you fry an egg on your driveway in July.

Go freshly dressed and showered from your front door to your mailbox and feel like a used Tea Bag in 2.3 seconds in August.

Now September - January is rather nice. Shorts for me the entire time, yep even in January.

February & March, well it rains, and rains some more and a little more and maybe a little more.

April is time for flowers here, not May. Our state Flower Kudzu comes to life. and the area becomes a sea of green leaves.

May and June - Well a return of the used Tea Bag feel, snotty nose, watery eyes, and warming your morning Pop Tarts on the hood of your car.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather