Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you rate the climate of Vostok Station?
A+/A/A- 13 10.92%
B+/B/B- 1 0.84%
C+/C/C- 2 1.68%
D+/D/D- 7 5.88%
F 96 80.67%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:54 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Yes!!! I'm the only person that voted it as a D.

Depends when I'm there. I'd rather be there then in Singapore, Quito, Ecuador, or in the Congo in the middle of summer. Plus, I'd take too cold temperatures over too hot temperatures any day of the week.
However, even thats too bitterly cold for me, and almost no precip= almost no snow and that makes me
Not a failure, but definitely didn't pass either.
Quito has average highs in the 60s*F year round...

Just saying'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 03:23 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I'd give it an A since I hate the heat but I do like to grow vegetables, etc.
You hate heat, so you'd rather -100 F instead?

Quote:
Depends when I'm there. I'd rather be there then in Singapore, Quito, Ecuador, or in the Congo in the middle of summer. Plus, I'd take too cold temperatures over too hot temperatures any day of the week.
Seriously? Have you ever experienced -100 F (a typical low there in mid-winter)? Do you have any idea how cold that is?

I'll never understand cold lovers. There is absolutely no way Singapore, Quito (LOL!) or even Dallol can compare with the discomfort of Vostok Station.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:37 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times
Quote:
Yes!!! I'm the only person that voted it as a D.

However, even thats too bitterly cold for me, and almost no precip= almost no snow and that makes me
Not a failure, but definitely didn't pass either.
Singapore and the Congo have nothing in common with Quito, Ecuador - except that they are equatorial.
The former 2 are hot and humid, Quito due to very high elevation is a never ending cool and damp climate.
Ironically my ideal equatorial climate is smack-bang in the middle of these, at about 1500 metres or up to 5000 feet above sea level on the equator.
As others have stated, even the hottest places on earth cannot compare to the discomfort and unliveability of Vostok.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
F, as in forget about bathing.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:26 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Quote me on that or shut up lol. My favorite temps are 70-90, where you don't have to dress up in stupid thick clothes and other rubbish just to stop yourself getting too cold like you do at 50 degrees. Oh yeah I also don't fancy wandering down town with my nose running like it does below 55 degrees.
Depends on the time of year. 55 degrees can feel nice on a sunny day in January or February, but will obviously feel cool in the middle of summer.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Singapore and the Congo have nothing in common with Quito, Ecuador - except that they are equatorial.
The former 2 are hot and humid, Quito due to very high elevation is a never ending cool and damp climate.
Ironically my ideal equatorial climate is smack-bang in the middle of these, at about 1500 metres or up to 5000 feet above sea level on the equator.
As others have stated, even the hottest places on earth cannot compare to the discomfort and unliveability of Vostok.
Yes that's true. I don't think most people would want to live in the worlds hottest place either as both are rather inhospitable and both don't really cater to plants or trees, so both would be equally ugly. Of course Singapore for example does not compare to Vostok because Vostok has life-threatening conditions that could kill you in minutes.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:20 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
Look, im a HEAT HATER (but that does not mean im a cold lover eventhough my favourite season is winter) and i HATE Singapore, Deat Valley and similar locations weather. But THIS ONE is just unhabitable. Seriously. I dont even think those people in the pic are really in Vostok so lightly dressed... come on!!! -100 F????? Thats insane. But worst part is 6 month of night???

If you like cold weather go to, like, i dont know, Moscow or something, or even go to Canada or Finland or Norway or some of those northern cold places, but this is just insane.

If i could, i ll rate it with a Z. But i only put an F since its the lower rating.

Its interesting, though, to think in the people that live there, how do they do it? how can they cope with the 6 months nights and the unberable cold????

Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Its interesting, though, to think in the people that live there, how do they do it? how can they cope with the 6 months nights and the unberable cold????
I'm pretty sure people only live there in order to do research. I'm guessing they are only there temporarily, too. It's not like me deciding to move to Antarctica to start a new life.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:36 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I'm pretty sure people only live there in order to do research. I'm guessing they are only there temporarily, too. It's not like me deciding to move to Antarctica to start a new life.
But what if people live there for like a year or more? do they spend the whole year inside their houses? do they never go out?
I would get depressed after a month there to be honest. Probably kill myself.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:44 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
But what if people live there for like a year or more? do they spend the whole year inside their houses? do they never go out?
I would get depressed after a month there to be honest. Probably kill myself.
Vostok Station would be more challenging being inland and colder, but this is what life is like on the British bases down there - seems they try their best to make it feel as normal as possible:
Antarctic Experiences - British Antarctic Survey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather