Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:47 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ugh can't be outside anymore at 8 pm. Or even 7 pm.
Toughen up ya softy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ugh can't be outside anymore at 8 pm. Or even 7 pm.
I love it, though I would be willing to trade in the dark early evenings for lighter, cloudier ones. For some reason I just don't like sunshine during the late afternoon and evening.

September is still a relatively warm month in our part of the world.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:38 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Unofficial end of summer is here (Labour day) or so the saying goes around here. And it certainly feels like it. It's 15.6°C/ 60.1°F two hours past noon. Barely warmed up from 15C/ 59F this morning. It's cloudy too. Even gusty too with 30-40km/20-25 mile per hour north-west winds.

Was somewhat of a shock to me taking a walk outside, still used to summer (high 20s-30C/80sF, as it was just one or two days ago). Highs are going to be low 20s C (68-73F) this week and lows in the 50s.

September can still have some hot days (though not many of them in a row) but certainly by mid- late September you can really feel it going down, down, down.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:45 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,001 times
Good riddance!! Past weekend temps in the 70s and lows in the low 50s, YES!! Now while it may still get to the 80s like today, the forecast shows night temps ALL in the 50s. Which is better than the mid to upper 60s. So yes, Hello FALL!!!!

Old 09-05-2011, 04:28 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
The Pacific Northwest, on the other hand, basically had no summer.

Corvallis, OR where I live didn't see its first 90 degree day until August 21. Not since 1954 had we gone so long without one. June and July were well below long term averages and had it not been for the last 11 days of August being well above normal, we would have ended up with one of the coolest summers of record.

The NWS has progged the first 10 to 14 days of September to have temperatures near or past 90 which is also very unusual. If that pans out we will have about three and a half weeks of hot weather. That'll be our "summer".

Beyond the 14th or so is anybody's guess but GFS tells us there will be a major change in our weather pattern and that Aleutian Low which has been giving all of us from B.C. clear down to the mid-Sacramento Valley the finger since March will be back and as bad as ever......
The definition of summer varies accordingly depending on what part of the world you're talking about. In your definition of summer, only the tropical countries would have real summers since nowhere in Europe, Canada or Alaska do you see 90F temperatures. Summers don't have to be hot, shouldn't be hot actually, just have to be warmer than the coldest winter months.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
The definition of summer varies accordingly depending on what part of the world you're talking about. In your definition of summer, only the tropical countries would have real summers since nowhere in Europe or Alaska do you see 90F temperatures
Summer is the warmest season in any country, so a 'real summer' varies from location to location. The tropics just have summer, and a horribly humid, oppressive season.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
The Pacific Northwest, on the other hand, basically had no summer.

Corvallis, OR where I live didn't see its first 90 degree day until August 21. Not since 1954 had we gone so long without one. June and July were well below long term averages and had it not been for the last 11 days of August being well above normal, we would have ended up with one of the coolest summers of record.

The NWS has progged the first 10 to 14 days of September to have temperatures near or past 90 which is also very unusual. If that pans out we will have about three and a half weeks of hot weather. That'll be our "summer".

Beyond the 14th or so is anybody's guess but GFS tells us there will be a major change in our weather pattern and that Aleutian Low which has been giving all of us from B.C. clear down to the mid-Sacramento Valley the finger since March will be back and as bad as ever......
This is exactly why I moved to the PNW! Up here next to Canada, the hottest temperature I've seen so far this summer was 81 or 82, which is more than enough for me. Thankfully no 90s here, although I hear it happens occasionally, unfortunately. It wouldn't bother me if we never topped 70.

Meanwhile in my home town (in TN), some of my friends and family have been enjoying their 60s and 70s temps the last couple of days, after roasting in blistering heat just before that. I've seen several comments on Facebook by them seemingly thinking their Autumn is beginning. I didn't have the heart to remind them that Autumn in middle TN doesn't normally begin until at least mid October, and that in a week or two they'll probably be back to 85-90+ for another month or so, maybe longer. And so far I haven't missed that for one second!

Old 09-05-2011, 04:38 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Summers don't have to be hot, shouldn't be hot actually, just have to be warmer than the coldest winter months.
That's how I see it, too. It doesn't have to be 95F with a dew point of 76 for me to feel like it's Summer. 65-75F is more than enough, thank you.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:14 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
This is exactly why I moved to the PNW! Up here next to Canada, the hottest temperature I've seen so far this summer was 81 or 82, which is more than enough for me. Thankfully no 90s here, although I hear it happens occasionally, unfortunately. It wouldn't bother me if we never topped 70.

Meanwhile in my home town (in TN), some of my friends and family have been enjoying their 60s and 70s temps the last couple of days, after roasting in blistering heat just before that. I've seen several comments on Facebook by them seemingly thinking their Autumn is beginning. I didn't have the heart to remind them that Autumn in middle TN doesn't normally begin until at least mid October, and that in a week or two they'll probably be back to 85-90+ for another month or so, maybe longer. And so far I haven't missed that for one second!
I notice you tend to exaggerate TN summers, 85-90 for a month longer? Really? Those are like the record highs for mid-late October which you seem to be insinuating that these types of temps last until that time of year. Have you honestly seen 90 degree temps in mid-October in middle TN? I used to live a state south of you and you can notice a VERY noticeable cool down by late September, and by mid-late October there were many mornings in the 30s and 40s, and that was a state south of you. Temps in the upper 80s in mid-TN in October is probably just as likely to happen as a night in the low 30s.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:34 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,288 times
LOL @ 90*F occurs only in tropical countries. Always look forward to your comedic posts Kaul .

Not looking forward to the 7 months of miserable cold weather (summer to you cold lovers) in Houston .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather