Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 07:54 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I've been following it on weather forecast United Kingdom - Overview - WeatherOnline to see where has the highest temperatures and it's interesting to see with the sun less of a factor so late in the year some of the more northerly places on the list or those on the leeward side of higher ground being among the warmest - I bet if we'd had these synoptics a couple of months ago the southeast would dominate the leaderboard much more, and what sort of disgusting hot temperatures would we be getting down here after a few days of this if this was late-July?

Btw, have you ever seen anything like this up there at this time of year? I remember reading about it being 25C in the south one day in mid-October 2001 but I've never seen a proper extended summer spell going into October, and certainly not high temperatures up north.
I've never seen 26C in late September before. 24C is being forecast here on the 1st of October which could be a local record.. it will probably be higher than this too. The UK record for October is 29.4C btw which might be at risk since 28C is forecast for London on the 1st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 11:27 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Just thinking about the last few days, our temperatures (84°F/ 61°F) were about the same as the average day in the hottest part of the summer (84/60). Quite unusual for the end of September.

Hasn't really felt like summer somehow, I don't know why. My room isn't hot, just not cold, and I haven't bothered to take out a fan. Think the lower sun angle makes it not feel like summer ?
I've noticed the same. I did feel hot yesterday morning when I woke up, but other than that, it hasn't felt too unbearable. Odd weather.

Windows have been closed up. Really looking forward to cooler, dryer weather. Rainfall is over 10 inches for the month now.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
Yesterday I packed the stove into a box inside a big closet. So it is oficially the end of the winter. Though the weather has been warm for a month, now. The packing-stove means its not going to be cold for a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery veeeeery long time now. Like 8 months.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I've noticed the same. I did feel hot yesterday morning when I woke up, but other than that, it hasn't felt too unbearable. Odd weather.

Windows have been closed up. Really looking forward to cooler, dryer weather. Rainfall is over 10 inches for the month now.
Wow, again?! Is there still the flooding left over from last month? With no more rain here to come this month we'll end up with 41.3mm/1.6 inches, a third down on normal. Over half of that came in one proper wet day and the rest in 14 days of miniscule showers. It's rained often enough to give the impression it's rained a lot and we don't want any more, but actually we could really do with a drenching over the winter in case we get another spring/summer of erratic rainfall next time round.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Wow, again?! Is there still the flooding left over from last month? With no more rain here to come this month we'll end up with 41.3mm/1.6 inches, a third down on normal. Over half of that came in one proper wet day and the rest in 14 days of miniscule showers. It's rained often enough to give the impression it's rained a lot and we don't want any more, but actually we could really do with a drenching over the winter in case we get another spring/summer of erratic rainfall next time round.
I've noticed whenever you get hot weather it's fairly dry.

So far, NYC has about 58.5 inches of rain and there's 3 months left. If there's 0 rain for the rest of the year, it would still be the 8th wettest year on record.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

The only time I closed my windows was when it was rather chilly 2 weekends ago. Otherwise, it's nice to have a nightbreeze coming in.

Was 74°F inside my apartment in the middle of the afternoon.

First time I heard you say you wanted drier weather.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
The water table is still high and some roads still need to be repaired or cleaned up (remains a mess from the mud), but the major flooding has subsided. Rainfall was already high pre-Irene, so getting slammed with over a foot of rain in less than a two week period did us in and has left us vulnerable since then.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:34 PM

It's raining... yet again. I sometimes wonder if I'll wake one morning and see water surrounding the house.

Not yet, but we got big puddles.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The only time I closed my windows was when it was rather chilly 2 weekends ago. Otherwise, it's nice to have a nightbreeze coming in.

Was 74°F inside my apartment in the middle of the afternoon.

First time I heard you say you wanted drier weather.
If the temperature was 10-20 F cooler, then I wouldn't mind the damp conditions. But lately its been too warm and muggy. The air feels stagnant. Not to mention the northeast could really use a break from the rain. Ideally, it would be cool, dry, and cloudy, but I'm willing to trade in the clouds for these temperatures:

Saturday: A chance of showers, mainly after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42.

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 56.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 42.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 65.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 46.

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 69.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 47.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 67.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:18 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Seeming as summer this year has run from early April to early October with a cool, wet, dull spell between June and August it's been a great year for the wine industry according to this:

BBC News - Wine growers predict a good year for English wine

I read a similar article recently about it being perfect conditions for apples, so presumably the cider industry has had a good year too. And to top it all off, I'm going to a beer festival at the weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather