Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 12:16 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The low temperature here was 11.0C but warmed up to 28.3C. That's a pretty large diurnal range if you ask me.
It is. We don't generally the bigger ranges during the warmer months unless you live somewhere that gets the norwester. For here it's more of a colder season thing, It sounds like a very nice day indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 12:38 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Beautiful day here. Some sunshine, but clouding up, breezy, and in the low 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I'm guessing that it's because it's easy to get moderate foehn winds in much of NZ. There are major foehn winds like the norwester, which can really push the temps up, but also lesser winds as well. As mountains form the backbone of NZ (South Island more so), it's easy to be on the lee side of the mountains relative to the wind direction, and get moderate foehn effect winds. That is certainly the case here.

I've heard a lot of people from colder climates (Europe, US) talk about/complain how quickly the temps drop here in the late afternoon during winter, although I can't see why it would be much different in those places (as long as they didn't have cloudy winters)

Most people I know just aren't aware that we sometimes get quite large diurnal swings given our climate. Two days ago was a classic example. The day started out at 0.7C/33F and reached 19.6C/70F at about 2pm and a guy at work said that the day hadn't warmed up much, although those pesky seabreezes can make it feel like that sometimes.
That's a pretty impressive diurnal range though. I live in a continental climate and that's about as large as a swing we typically get in a given year. Not sure what the record diurnal range is though. I know it's at least 40 F.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

That's a pretty impressive diurnal range though. I live in a continental climate and that's about as large as a swing we typically get in a given year. Not sure what the record diurnal range is though. I know it's at least 40 F.
I had a 50°F range a few years back (40°F/90°F). I imagine you've had something similar.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:53 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

I remember a forecast for Central Otago of -3C/26F to 24C/75f. I can't remember if they actually reached it or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's quite far inland by our standards and about 330m/1000ft ASL

Old 09-30-2011, 01:10 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Really looking forward to the fall weather this weekend.

Even the south will be cool. Places such as Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Atlanta, and Tallahassee will be dropping into the 40s. Some places may not see highs get out of the 60s. Even Miami may see their coolest low in several months.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:34 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
What you consider "mid spring" (Early October) would be early April here, and in those cities during that time of year average highs are between 55 and 60F, not upper 60s. You would need to go to Alabama or Georgia to find highs in the upper 60s that time of year.

And I don't know anyone who considers early April "mid spring", almost everyone I know considers it early spring. You know for a city located at 43S, you have a really mild climate. Milwaukee, Wisconsin is at the same latitude and in early April your forecast would be a nice one for them, as a matter of fact they can still get big snowstorms that time of year. Consider yourself fortunate.

And I don't understand why you're expecting BBQ weather at 43S, at a coastal location, in early spring , that's like me expecting sweater weather in Florida in early October, of course i'd be dissapointed 95% of the time.

I don't get why you complain so much, and also why you're putting your spring forecast on an Autumn thread , you seem to expect people to feel bad for you when in reality climates at your same latitude in the northern hemisphere are a lot colder in the winter and much higher temperature swings, trust me you're not going to get any sympathy at all from posters here with your "horrible" forecasts, when they're really not that bad.
Just so. He has ignored my "reality check". I advise non-NZers to ignore his assessments - they are vastly different from the average opinion in this country, where most people know we are not living in the tropics or subtropics.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:46 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I remember a forecast for Central Otago of -3C/26F to 24C/75f. I can't remember if they actually reached it or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's quite far inland by our standards and about 330m/1000ft ASL
There was some checking done after a discussion on maximum diurnal ranges on a NZ forum a while back. The highest case I could find occured at Earnscleugh (near Alexandra, stony ground not too far from the river) on 25/2/1972 - from 0.8C to 31.0C, a range of 30.2C. There a quite a number of examples in the 25-27C range. For Alexandra the highest I could find was 27.5C.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:13 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
There was some checking done after a discussion on maximum diurnal ranges on a NZ forum a while back. The highest case I could find occured at Earnscleugh (near Alexandra, stony ground not too far from the river) on 25/2/1972 - from 0.8C to 31.0C, a range of 30.2C. There a quite a number of examples in the 25-27C range. For Alexandra the highest I could find was 27.5C.
Pretty sure Alex has the highest average diurnal range in summer too -- 14 C.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:30 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,646,386 times
Just looked from our data for last year and the biggest daily range was from 13.5C to 31.4C - about as big a range as we get - and the smallest was 0.1C to 0.8C, which is also about as low as you'd expect to find over a longer time period. Between 11th November last year and 8th March this year no day had a diurnal range bigger than 10C, which is an unusually long run.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:41 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
One place in Hertfordshire in August 1936 went from 1.1C at dawn to 24.9C in 9 hours, which is the official largest daily temperature range in England.

For me, on one day in March 2003, -4.2C was recorded, but rose to 12.6C. In the same month, -0.7C was recorded at dawn but rose to 16.4C.

And of course, more recently, 11C at dawn to 28C in the afternoon, a 17 degree rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather