Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,735,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
That's interesting that you find only 5-15% of the vegetation is tropical looking in your area... I guess the "tropical" or "subtropical" look isn't that popular there because it would look too out of place for some people. I'm thinking more along the lines of Canberra and Hobart vs. say Broome and Darwin...

For me what looks tropical and subtropical are tall evergreen broadleaf trees with tall feather palms everywhere.. (CIDP etc.).
We have evergreen broadleaf "shrubs" here in Vancouver as opposed to trees. Even the Southern Magnolia which looks magnificent in the Southern US looks like a large shrub here. Windmill and other palms look like small sticks compared to what palms look like in subtropical and tropical areas... that's what differentiates it for me.
Windmills look quite impressive once they get to about 12-15 metres, and all the fur peels off. A lot of them look ratty until that time though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 03:56 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,076,826 times
I think a lot of it depends on what people do with their gardens in a particular area. The affluent suburbs of any city tend to have a more tropical look as their owners are prepared to spend more on landscaping, exotic plants, etc.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:43 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,836,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Do you consider Eucalyptus to look temperate/Mediterranean rather than tropical?
Usually mediterranean.
Many eucalytpus resmebles broadleaf deciduous trees I've seen, only tougher looking with leathery leaves.
Reminds me of long dry spells and mild winters (else they'd be zapped by hard-frost)

Old 09-11-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Windmills look quite impressive once they get to about 12-15 metres, and all the fur peels off. A lot of them look ratty until that time though.
I don't think I've ever seen a windmill palm over 4 metres.

Can you post a picture?

Old 09-11-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I think a lot of it depends on what people do with their gardens in a particular area. The affluent suburbs of any city tend to have a more tropical look as their owners are prepared to spend more on landscaping, exotic plants, etc.
Water bills are a big reason too in WA.
Though it makes me wonder about temperate deciduous as they are often quite thirsty too.

More native veg in the country because they are easier, better adapted to local rain/moisture patterns,
plus they're less likely to splurge on landscaping costs.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:31 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,546,138 times
Yes, Trachycarpus can look quite tropical, though they look terrible in full sun here.

I think coastal south Texas has the same problem, the really tropical vegetation is overshadowed by millions of Washingtonia palms. Matamoros, Mexico, directly across the border, lines its streets with royal palms, ficus, and royal poinciana. All of these plants would be common on the U.S. side if you removed all of the 'less-tropical' Washingtonia palms.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:42 AM

497 posts, read 985,064 times
Tall windmills can look good, but I think they're better suited to be part of a group of other lush plants and trees, rather than a stand-alone palm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
But their winters are SO COLD! (by Aussie standards)

Albury might be colder in winter and with less sub-tropicals than what I've seen of the inland SW.
Wavehunter would probably like to know that there are Cfa places in Australia that get frosts.

Winters are colder than inland SW. Summers have similar temps, but are wetter, yet still have low levels of humidity. It doesn't look or feel subtropical, but can still support some exotic species.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a windmill palm over 4 metres.

Can you post a picture?
Er.., no sorry. I'm hoping to find a digital camera under the christmas tree this year, and my ancient dialup setup makes downloads a major mission.

The tallest one I've heard about around here was 17 metres and was planted in the 1880's, It was cut down to make way for a rose garden. There seemed to have been a lot planted around that time, which are in the 10-15 metre range. They look similar to a mature Washingtonia robusta, but with smaller proportions. CIDP's have only been planted around here for about 40 years and don't have much more than about 6-7 metres of trunk. There are some in the botanical gardens (60 km away)planted in the 1860's and they would have trunks 20 metres tall, considering how many there are around here (thousands), the townscape will look very different in 20 years or so.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,377,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post

Wavehunter would probably like to know that there are Cfa places in Australia that get frosts.

Winters are colder than inland SW. Summers have similar temps, but are wetter, yet still have low levels of humidity. It doesn't look or feel subtropical, but can still support some exotic species.
Ahh…how refreshing when the old man sees that there is at least a few people out there who know that ALL subtropical climates (Cf/Cs/Cw) can (and will) get frosts now and then. If they did not – they would be classed as tropical climates – lol.

Another point worth mentioning for those of you out there who know how important climate “genetics” truly are in creating the local flora and fauna: The “look” of subtropical climates (esp in the heart of the subtropical zone from 25 to 35 latitude) will not often look “lush and tropical" like a south Vietnam or Costa Rican rainforest. Since subtropical high pressure (H) genetically dominates these latitudes much of the year - subtropical climates often have a drier, sun pulverized look to their vegetation. Yes, you’ll often find palms and other broadleaf evergreens growing/mixed in - but is the plants that can easily take heat, sun, and drought that are often the mainstays of true subtropical environemnts.

Here in the USA subtropical zone - whether a plant is in Los Angeles, Tucson, Houston, or Charleston…it had better be tough to the heat, sun, and drought to survive long term.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Yes, Trachycarpus can look quite tropical, though they look terrible in full sun here.

I think coastal south Texas has the same problem, the really tropical vegetation is overshadowed by millions of Washingtonia palms. Matamoros, Mexico, directly across the border, lines its streets with royal palms, ficus, and royal poinciana. All of these plants would be common on the U.S. side if you removed all of the 'less-tropical' Washingtonia palms.
I'm surprised Trachycarpus even grow there. They get sun blasted here, so would have to look terrible there. I agree with Ttad, they look better as a part of other plantings. I have 50-100 of them and they won't see direct sunlight for another 20 years or so, when they emerge through the cover of the bush they are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather