Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate
A 3 14.29%
B 7 33.33%
C 3 14.29%
D 6 28.57%
F 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 PM

690 posts, read 1,201,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I've never been able to track down a Europe-wide sunshine map (probably because there's no Europe-wide weather service) but Germany is not really that much sunnier than us on average, take a look:

and for France, which is notably sunnier (I couldn't fully explain why):

It may well be, according to these tables, though there's not much in it:
Intellicast - Karlsruhe Historic Weather Averages in Germany
Intellicast - Freiburg/Breisgau Historic Weather Averages in Germany

Freiburg markets itself as the place with the best climate in Germany because of the extra sunshine though I think, which Der Spiegel seems to agree with:
Neue Daten für alle Regionen: Deutschlands wahres Klima - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Nachrichten - Wissenschaft
I think the annual figures only tell half the story. The further east in europe you go, while annual totals dont increase much, summers are notably sunnier, and winters duller, thanks to high pressure and associated anticyclonic gloom during winter. With a weak sun at >50N and little wind to break up the low cloud, winters in Berlin Warsaw and Moscow can make London winters seem sunny. I think this is why american cities are far sunnier than 'continental' european cities during winter. Most american cities are 1000 miles futher south or so, thus the sun is able to burn off the freezing fog at 43N that wouldnt shift at 53N.

For example, Berlin gets 238 hours of sun in July, but just 38 hours in December. London gets less sun in July (207 hours) but more in December 49 hours) (1971-2000 averages). Our windy climate does what the sun is too weak to do. Maybe french totals are higher because they benefit from more winter wind than germany?

Even so, Germany isnt a sunny country, i guess thats why theres so many Germans and Brits at meditteranean resorts during the summer.

It seems Freiburg is warmer in winter, Karlsruhe warmer in summer. Max in Jan of 4.5c and max in august of 25.9c at Karlshure vs 5.1c and 25.2c at Freiburg

[ MétéoFrance ]
[ MétéoFrance ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 08:02 PM

690 posts, read 1,201,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm impressed how big the contrast in sunshine there is between Southern France and Northern France. Part of the country is much sunnier than I'm used and most of the rest is much cloudier than I'm used to (I get 2400-2500 hours) There's very little in between. It's as if there are two Frances, climate-wise.

I'm puzzled that the PNW is only slightly cloudier than New England. Maybe the sunny summers make up for the gloominess of the rest of the year?
Yes, ive always been jealous of the french. I would often like to tow britain 1000 miles south so we get the same climate as them.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
I'm impressed how big the contrast in sunshine there is between Southern France and Northern France. Part of the country is much sunnier than I'm used and most of the rest is much cloudier than I'm used to (I get 2400-2500 hours) There's very little in between. It's as if there are two Frances, climate-wise.

I'm puzzled that the PNW is only slightly cloudier than New England. Maybe the sunny summers make up for the gloominess of the rest of the year?

As far as our country and the PNW vs New England in sunshine – “only slightly cloudier" is a bit of a stretch (New England is far sunnier). Annually, most of New England receives from 2200 to 2600, and parts of southern Connecticut (although some consider this part of the Tri-State area and not New England) get more than 2600 hours of sunshine – far more than the 2000 hrs cities like Seattle, Portland, Eugene, etc gets:

Keep in mind these are annual averages – in winter (Dec/Jan/Feb) a city like Seattle will see about half as many hours of sun as a New England city like Boston. Although many parts of the USA get more sunshine annually (2800 - 4000 hrs) and monthly (more than 300 hours ) than Boston or New England…the PNW is by far the center of sunless skies on the USA mainland

Old 09-20-2011, 08:54 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
The PNW receives less sunshine than other areas in the United States, that's not a bad thing because even places like Seattle and Portland average over 2000 hours of sunshine annually and that's pretty good considering the fact they have a climate almost identical to places like London and Paris which are much cloudier..

Also consider that Seattle is the northernmost major city in the lower 48, the sun sets at 4pm in December and rises at 8am.. more or less..

Old 09-20-2011, 09:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
As far as our country and the PNW vs New England in sunshine – “only slightly cloudier" is a bit of a stretch (New England is far sunnier). Annually, most of New England receives from 2200 to 2600, and parts of southern Connecticut (although some consider this part of the Tri-State area and not New England) get more than 2600 hours of sunshine – far more than the 2000 hrs cities like Seattle, Portland, Eugene, etc gets:
Thanks for the map. I thought 2300 hours was a bit high for Portland. Looks like I live exactly on the 2400 hours line. Still Northern Vermont and New Hampshire look just as cloudy as the Pacific Northwest. The White Mountains of New Hampshire appear to be in the less than 1800 hours of sun zone; lower than the North Cascades and possibly the Olympic Mountains.

Any clue why this is? Though I wonder whether they using Mt. Washington as a data point, skewing the contour lines.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:20 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Thanks for the map. I thought 2300 hours was a bit high for Portland. Looks like I live exactly on the 2400 hours line. Still Northern Vermont and New Hampshire look just as cloudy as the Pacific Northwest. The White Mountains of New Hampshire appear to be in the less than 1800 hours of sun zone; lower than the North Cascades and possibly the Olympic Mountains.

Any clue why this is? Though I wonder whether they using Mt. Washington as a data point, skewing the contour lines.

I got the Portland hours from this site. Our NWS doesn't seem to do the annual recording and posting of sunshine hours data that the rest of the world seems to do. Maybe it's because we are a sunny country.

Average Annual Sunshine in US Cities - Current Results

Old 09-21-2011, 02:18 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
I think the annual figures only tell half the story. The further east in europe you go, while annual totals dont increase much, summers are notably sunnier, and winters duller, thanks to high pressure and associated anticyclonic gloom during winter. With a weak sun at >50N and little wind to break up the low cloud, winters in Berlin Warsaw and Moscow can make London winters seem sunny. I think this is why american cities are far sunnier than 'continental' european cities during winter. Most american cities are 1000 miles futher south or so, thus the sun is able to burn off the freezing fog at 43N that wouldnt shift at 53N.

For example, Berlin gets 238 hours of sun in July, but just 38 hours in December. London gets less sun in July (207 hours) but more in December 49 hours) (1971-2000 averages). Our windy climate does what the sun is too weak to do. Maybe french totals are higher because they benefit from more winter wind than germany?

Even so, Germany isnt a sunny country, i guess thats why theres so many Germans and Brits at meditteranean resorts during the summer.

It seems Freiburg is warmer in winter, Karlsruhe warmer in summer. Max in Jan of 4.5c and max in august of 25.9c at Karlshure vs 5.1c and 25.2c at Freiburg

[ MétéoFrance ]
[ MétéoFrance ]
True, when I think of central/eastern European climates as surely much sunnier than us I suppose I'm really just thinking of the sunnier, more stable summers.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:04 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:

Which means you’re in north - central Massachusetts (roughly) I guess. Keep in mind, 2,400 hours of sunshine might be low for much of the USA – but it’s not bad for a mid latitude (above 40 N/S) location. Your location still gets more hours of sun annually than cities like Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, London, Paris, many parts of New Zealand, and Melbourne, Australia. I know that’s not saying much, since those locations are known to be often overcast, but 2,400 hours of sun annually is not all that bad.

As far as that tiny area of less than 1800 hours around northern New Hampshire – I would guess that has everything to do with the data point of Mt. Washington (6800 feet). Notice (on the map above) the 2200 line up in northern Maine and west of Burlington, VT. From what I can tell – outside of northern New Hampshire – all areas of even northern New England still receive 2000 to 2200 hours of sunshine - more than anywhere in the PNW from the central coast of Oregon northward (which gets less than 2000).

Old 09-22-2011, 03:28 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Quote:
Yep, such weather maps are quite common. The Mediterranean regions are just shielded from temperate circulation during the warm season.

It must be frustrating for sun lovers to see such maps repeating themselves for days on end.

As for Freiburg, it's OK though not different enough from Paris. A C for me. Karlsruhe seems slightly better: cooler winters and warmer summers. As for the sun issue, there are solar panels all over the place in Freiburg, being the least dull city of the big solar electricity producer that is Germany.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:27 PM

985 posts, read 1,853,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
What about Karlsruhe. I thought that was warmest.
Late answer:
Karlsruhe and Freiburg have always been competing for the warmest cities,along with Mannheim and Frankfurt. Actually the whole upper Rhine valley from Basel to Frankfurt has very similar weather, both in winter and summer. I lived in Freiburg for over 20 years and have been living in Karlsruhe for over 15 years. Their weather is basically identical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather