Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:12 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yeah I know Nikaus grow on both the north and south island of NZ as well but I imagine the flora is somewhat unique on the Chathams. Another reason I picked the Chathams over Motueka is because I dislike climates with large diurnal ranges and it seems Motueka has a much larger diurnal range than the Chathams especially in winter.
I've met quite a few people who don't like the winter diurnal range here, although for the last few months it has been greater than the average. I like it because it generally means warm sunny winter days with little wind, but can appreciate that some people don't like frost- my fellow grape pruners for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 12:47 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I've met quite a few people who don't like the winter diurnal range here, although for the last few months it has been greater than the average. I like it because it generally means warm sunny winter days with little wind, but can appreciate that some people don't like frost- my fellow grape pruners for instance.
For his "reward" of a small diurnal range, he gets a very windy and cloudy place where runs of sunny days are rare. Vancouver is pretty sunny by comparison with the Chathams. The higher diurnal ranges in recent months in the "north of the south" have been accompanied by exceptionally high sunshine, and Nelson is already guaranteed to set a new high NZ record for sunshine in the August-September period.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
For his "reward" of a small diurnal range, he gets a very windy and cloudy place where runs of sunny days are rare. Vancouver is pretty sunny by comparison with the Chathams. The higher diurnal ranges in recent months in the "north of the south" have been accompanied by exceptionally high sunshine, and Nelson is already guaranteed to set a new high NZ record for sunshine in the August-September period.
I guess it's a matter of "different strokes for different folks" (as they say). I would choose the climate of Vancouver over that of the Chathams anyday.

These last two months have been very sunny and dry. I'm wondering if we are going to get a dry spring?

Old 09-27-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I guess it's a matter of "different strokes for different folks" (as they say). I would choose the climate of Vancouver over that of the Chathams anyday.

These last two months have been very sunny and dry. I'm wondering if we are going to get a dry spring?
Hard to say. Beyond the Nino/Nina setting there is a large variability.

MetService (who are not "officially" in the business of doing longrange forecasts) issued this on 9th September for Nelson/Marlborough:

RAIN: slowly returning to normal after a dry August.
WIND: returning to normal after a few months less than normal.
TEMPERATURE: becoming above normal.
SUNSHINE: continuing about to below normal.
SPECIALS: thunderstorms.
CONFIDENCE: low to moderate.

The sun comment is an obvious blunder or typo!

NIWA's 3-month outlook is due for an update in a few days or so.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:10 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
For me Chathams climate is infinitely better than that here in Vancouver because there is much less seasonal range in temperature compared to here with much milder winters. I could grow so many more species of palms there compared to here. For example the Chatham Nikau which is native there doesn't have a hope in hell of even making it through one winter here. Sunshine is a secondary consideration for me.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
My ranking:

The first three have warmish summers, mild winters, and decent rainfall and (I think) sun

Te Teko
Auckland
Motueka

The next few are harder to place, as each has a serious downside

Molesworth
Alexandra
Invercargill
Milford Sound
Chatham Islands

I'm not sure if I'd prefer Molesworth warmish summers with a chilly winter over Invercagill's non-summer. Molesworth's winters are still short and not all that cold, so I'll take having a variety with a higher chance of having some warm days.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
My ranking:

The first three have warmish summers, mild winters, and decent rainfall and (I think) sun

Te Teko
Auckland
Motueka

The next few are harder to place, as each has a serious downside

Molesworth
Alexandra
Invercargill
Milford Sound
Chatham Islands

I'm not sure if I'd prefer Molesworth warmish summers with a chilly winter over Invercagill's non-summer. Molesworth's winters are still short and not all that cold, so I'll take having a variety with a higher chance of having some warm days.
Molesworth is 2.6C colder than Alexandra, and wetter. It may have a small sunshine advantage over the latter, but probably not enough to compensate for the other differences. Tekapo is about 0.7C warmer than Molesworth, a little drier, and considerably sunnier than either of the other two.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Molesworth is 2.6C colder than Alexandra, and wetter. It may have a small sunshine advantage over the latter, but probably not enough to compensate for the other differences. Tekapo is about 0.7C warmer than Molesworth, a little drier, and considerably sunnier than either of the other two.
I put Molesworth above Alexandra because I thought its wetness compensated for the extra cold. Alexandra seems too dry, and if it is no sunnier than Molesworth I feel the extra dryness is more of a downside than a plus.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
For me Chathams climate is infinitely better than that here in Vancouver because there is much less seasonal range in temperature compared to here with much milder winters. I could grow so many more species of palms there compared to here. For example the Chatham Nikau which is native there doesn't have a hope in hell of even making it through one winter here. Sunshine is a secondary consideration for me.
That is definitely a point to consider for palm lovers and I don't know what I would choose in your situation. The Chathams could grow more species than Vancouver, but it would be a frustrating climate for palms, with (I would think) some very slow rates of growth.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I put Molesworth above Alexandra because I thought its wetness compensated for the extra cold. Alexandra seems too dry, and if it is no sunnier than Molesworth I feel the extra dryness is more of a downside than a plus.
Cromwell, near Alexandra, would be sunnier than Molesworth. Wind factors would also probably chill Molesworth more than the other 2 places.

No such thing as "too dry" in this country, as far as I'm concerned. My parents had a small holiday home on the southern flanks of Alexandra - it provided an escape from the climate of the southern coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather