Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 04:24 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I just wanted to let all you summer haters know that I got a part-time job working outside this past summer. And i am starting to see where you are coming from! My weather tastes are changing a bit. Sitting on the beach in hot weather is fine, but working out in the heat is brutal. I don't think i will ever like winter, but i also don't enjoy 95 degree weather anymore. I would prefer to be somewhere in between the two extremes.

Anyway, just thought i would give a shout-out to Ilovemycomputer and all the other people who hate the summer. I definitely have a new perspective and sympathy for these people. Summer in PA isn't that bad... its hot as hell for a few weeks but then we get some milder spells. But i think if i lived in a really hot climate, i would probably hate summer as well.

Yay! Im glad you understand us now.

I live in a very humid and hot city in the summer (though some people from Texas have said to me our summer is "not that bad") and i go work everyday (well, not everyday, but its the fastest way to go everywhere so i end up using it a lot) in a SUBWAY, with NO AIR CONDITIONING. It gets to be 50 celsius and more in the subway (this was measure with a temometer from a news channel) , i mean, 50 CELSIUS COME ON!!! And, add to that, my city is a humid one, so it can be 70%, 80%, 90% in a 30 celsius day!!!! ANother thing is the "feel like". Almost every day of the summer "feels like" 34 or 35 celsius, and, despite that our average (according to wikipedia, thoguh i think if you measure last 4 or 5 summers it would be much hotter than that) is 20 celsius average low and 30 average high, the lows only ocur at 4 or 5 in the morning, when the sunrise comes (and the heat of the night goes away). Our nights are ALWAYS more than 20 celsius, more like 26-28 celsius. That 20 celsius is only a dewpoint that occurs for brief time (at 8-9 in themorning, the heat comes again). So, we basically have a summer wich temps are 25 low/35 high celsius that goes on from november till end of march (yeah, LONG summer), and after a month of this weather, your appartment is already heated up so you basically live sweated, sticky, withouth sleep and unhappy for about 4 months and a half.

Add to that the fact that i work in an office with no air conditioning. Like i said, if you are on vacation, own a pool, etcétera, then its not that bad, but if you LIVE here, dont dare say it is not "that hot". Come and try it if you dare!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 04:37 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,561,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Well said. I don't think Southern France could be comparable to a place like the southeastern US, for example. I'd like to see them work outside all day everyday during the summer in a place like South Carolina or Georgia.
Please go back to what I wrote previously - I'm not talking about "Southern France" in general, I'm talking about a particular month (July '10) in Nice when we had a good dozen of days with highs above 29-30°C and lows above 24°C, sometimes up to 25.5°C - data available - and all of this at the notoriously cool and windy airport station, not reflecting the actual city temps, a few degrees higher - how is that fundamentally different from the typical 21-32°C (70-89°F) summer day in Atlanta? And during most of these days I was doing manual work inside and outside a tropical greenhouse, between 9am and 4pm under endless summer sunshine (more than 12 hours a day for that month), yet I felt perfectly comfortable.

If you can read French : this article basically explains the large difference between official temperature readings in Nice, and the actual downtown values in the middle of summer, with lows of 26°C and highs of 35°C common during heatwaves - the difference between both stations is so huge that they asked the Minister of Health to set up a new station downtown for a more efficient heatwave management.
Rudy Salles.com - Météo : pourquoi la température à Nice est-elle toujours minorée ? (http://www.rudy-salles.com/article.php3?id_article=681 - broken link)

And now the official temp readings for Nice in July 2010 :
Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de Nice

And if July 2010 doesn't convince you, try August 2003 (Hong Kongish) or July 2006.

If I still haven't managed to convince you that Nice is indeed fully comparable, to say the least, to southeastern US, well, I give up.
But, yes, I know what's subtropical heat, I know how it feels to perform hours of manual work in those conditions, and, once again, I officially enjoy hot weather.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:42 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Nice is nowhere near as hot or as humid as the southeastern US. Summers are a lot cooler also and a hell of a lot drier.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:49 PM

Have you even read my previous post?

Old 10-10-2011, 04:49 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Nice is nowhere near as hot or as humid as the southeastern US. Summers are a lot cooler also and a hell of a lot drier.
He said that it can be 37°C during a heatwave in Nice. That may be the case, but how long does this heatwave last, and how often is it? The southeast U.S. is just as hot as Spain is. I believe him when he says Nice can get up to 37°C during a heatwave, but the heatwave doesn't last for 3 months, France is not Spain no matter how you slice it. No place in Europe gets as consistently hot as the Spanish interior, and 37°C in the interior of the Iberian peninsula is normal, not unusual.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:53 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
I think you're misreading what I posted. I said Nice is cooler than the southeastern US. And no sorry I didn't really read it, don't have a lot of time.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think you're misreading what I posted. I said Nice is cooler than the southeastern US. And no sorry I didn't really read it, don't have a lot of time.
I looked up Nice's temperature for this past summer, and it turns out that Nice and Harrisburg, PA have similar temps observed this past summer. Not bad for Europe north of the Iberian peninsula

Old 10-10-2011, 04:59 PM

What I'm saying is that our official summer averages of 20-27°C are about as different from the actual downtown temps as those of LA Airport or Santa Monica are from Downtown LA. To a point where local politicians are requesting a new station from the Health Ministry...just imagine what it feels like when we have an official month with 24-31°C or even 23-29°C average, add a few degrees at least for real temps and you're equally warm or warmer than Atlanta for instance.

Honestly on some days last summer it felt much warmer in downtown Nice than on a typical Singapore day.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
What I'm saying is that our official summer averages of 20-27°C are about as different from the actual downtown temps as those of LA Airport or Santa Monica are from Downtown LA. To a point where local politicians are requesting a new station from the Health Ministry...just imagine what it feels like when we have an official month with 24-31°C or even 23-29°C average, add a few degrees at least for real temps and you're equally warm or warmer than Atlanta for instance.

Honestly on some days last summer it felt warmer than Singapore.

Well that's similar to where I live. A lot of times the temperature here is above average, and our two cities were similar in temperature this past summer, but I live in the Northeast. Only Spain can compete with the U.S. south in terms of heat, because it lasts the whole summer, not just for a week. A heatwave in my area is 38°C-42°C. Are you not confusing actual temperature with the heat index? I think it seems like you are trying to say Nice has a high heat index sometimes like the U.S. southeast?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:30 PM

Haha, nope, not confusing it with heat index - if you take the heat indexes for those days I posted, they're around 38°C or over.

But we are faced with a very particular topography. The city of Nice is narrowly stuck between the Alps (north) and the warm waters of the Mediterranean (south), which makes it hard for the daytime heating to radiate at night. Add a significant urban heat island, and you get much warmer downtown temps than at our airport station, which doesn't benefit at all from either of those effects, as it is situated over the sea on reclaimed land, and in an area which is not enclosed by hills and mountains unlike downtown - it's rather the opposite as the airport is facing the notoriously cool winds from the neighboring Var Valley. So the heat hardly builds up in summer there, hence it is poorly reflecting our real temps despite official summers average hi/lows of 20-27°C, which is already not bad in itself for an European location.

To get an idea of the difference in topography :

Downtown : http://www.solucior.com/example/nice.jpg
Airport : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ce_airport.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather