Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate
A 6 20.00%
B 4 13.33%
C 1 3.33%
D 6 20.00%
F 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Possibly because temperatures only average above 50 for 2 months, not the more typical 3 months (for subarctic climates). The high precip and snowfall I imagine also hurts your rating. For myself, it's the opposite; the cooler summers and higher precipitation/snowfall make me love this place's weather.
How would you like Eureka, California? Summers don't get warm but winters aren't cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 08:02 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How would you like Eureka, California? Summers don't get warm but winters aren't cold.
Good in Summer, even if the nights are a bit warm, but terrible any other time of the year (too warm and no winter to speak of). My ideal summer has to be coupled with a big winter, and when I say big I mean like Winnipeg temperatures and/or Yellowstone snowfall. Even this place's climate would be a good prototype for my ideal winter. Perhaps the best way to describe my winter preference would be "hardcore".

Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Perhaps the best way to describe my winter preference would be "hardcore".
Mind telling us where you lived? I'm curious how much you're used to cold and heat. I thought you said Florida at one time for some reason, and now I have Pennsylvania.

You seem familiar with both cold and heat, sounds like somewhere that gets at least freezing winters, sometimes well below and somewhat hot summers, at least hot enough to gain a strong hatred of heat.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:59 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,931 times
Quote:
Good in Summer, even if the nights are a bit warm, but terrible any other time of the year (too warm and no winter to speak of). My ideal summer has to be coupled with a big winter, and when I say big I mean like Winnipeg temperatures and/or Yellowstone snowfall. Even this place's climate would be a good prototype for my ideal winter. Perhaps the best way to describe my winter preference would be "hardcore".
You would be amazed how cloudy Cartwright can be. At least in Winnipeg the sun is out more often.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
You would be amazed how cloudy Cartwright can be. At least in Winnipeg the sun is out more often.
Well, I don't like the sun being out often, so Cartwright's sunshine rates suit me just fine, being the cloud-biased mix that I like . Winnipeg is within my liked range, but Cartwright is better.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Although I do feel warm when it is 60 F outside, I believe he meant it in a more 70 or 80 F sense, in which case I embrace the quote .
I'd like to add something that I've looked into since this thread was last active. If one looks through the historical data on Weather Underground (July 2011 for example), one finds that summers display interesting patterns.

In Cartwright summers appear to be sort of bipolar, with periods of warmth in the 70's and even low 80's usually accompanied by sunshine, alternating with chilly periods where it's usually cloudy or raining and in the 40's, with a lower daily range (like a rainy 41/44F day). This same pattern is displayed throughout the rest of southern Labrador. Curiously enough it bears a resemblance to the Front Range (Denver region) pattern in winter, with warm/dry periods alternating with cool/wet periods, only this is a bit different, and weaker with the wetness factor (rain and even thunderstorms do occur when it's warmer).

This weather pattern neatly explains another poster's Labrador experience of conditions being in the 40's in a summer afternoon. For his preference he was just unlucky, and was there during one of the cool spells.

If one loathes ever feeling warm, as another one put it, there are better places, as July and August usually feature several days between 70F and 83F or so. Daily lows never get really warm, though, as just about every summer day in the past 10 years was cooler than 60F for the low temperature. However, the warmer periods are typically fleeting, so if one does loathe warm weather one would find this place acceptable. Plus there are regular refreshing cold rains .

All this mostly applies to July and August. June in these parts averages quite a bit cooler, but displays the same sort of pattern (adjusted down a few degrees).

As for myself I must say that I like this summer weather pattern, as the warmth being replaced by cold rainy days from time to time would be refreshing, not to mention comfortable. Thus it reinforces my positive rating of this place.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,216,608 times
My dream climate is basically a carbon copy of the weather pattern featured in Newfoundland and Labrador. Days of rain and highs in the 50s could be followed by days of sunshine and high in the 70s.

Cartwright has very nice summers. It features a nice mix of pleasantly warm summery days and refreshing cool days.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I'd like to add something that I've looked into since this thread was last active. If one looks through the historical data on Weather Underground (July 2011 for example), one finds that summers display interesting patterns.
Weirdly, July 29 reached a dew point of 73°F. Assuming it's not a typo, it's impressive on far humid east coast can reach northward. Didn't last long of course.

The warmer days tended to have a SW wind while the colder days tended to have an E wind off the Atlantic.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:12 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,894 times
Yeah, I'd give this clime a solid "A" - love the huge snowfalls they get - yummy! The summers would be awesome too, with changeable weather and lots of cool days, and a few warm ones just to break the monotony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather