Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 11:06 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,766,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Interesting.

Those numbers for Delhi, Mumbai, Bangkok, Phuket (2500 hrs/ann) are not too bad for high rainfall tropical climates.

As far as the generalizing and misconceptions of Europen climates...I agree. Many people forget (or don't even realize) that there is canyon of difference between temperate high latitude northern Europe and subtropical low latitude southern Europe in terms of sunshine and temps.

Delhi has always struck me as mostly dry place, with a shortish wet season. I actually expected it to have even more sunshine - like 2800-3000 hours. Bangkok has like 2600-2700 hours, which looking at it's rainfall pattern doesn't seem unusually high. Darwin has almost a mirror image rainfall pattern and it gets more like 3000 hours a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 03:49 AM

6 posts, read 13,922 times
Typical day in of Chongqing in winter

Chongqing skyline on a clear summer day

and Chengdu in winter

Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 AM

389 posts, read 583,968 times
Phoenix is actually my idea of climate hell but even I would take it over this Chinese city.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:36 PM

266 posts, read 284,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Another battle of contrasts!

In one corner, archetypally baking-hot Phoenix, a true desert climate, and as far as I can tell, the world's sunniest city of its size:

Phoenix, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hottest month's high and low: 28.3C - 41.4C
Coldest month's high and low: 6.6C - 19.5C
Sunshine Hours: 3,876.1
Rainy Days: 37.7
Rainfall: 210.6mm

In the other corner, cloudy Chongqing, possibly the cloudiest major city in the world. It exemplifies a striking difference between the moist subtropics of Australia and the USA versus those of China, Japan, and surrounding areas: where as the former have sun totals near the same as the typical Mediterranean climates, the Far East's subtropical zone's sunshine hours are often akin to north-west Europe and Alaska.

Chongqing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hottest month's high and low: 24.7C - 33.6C
Coldest month's high and low: 6.0C - 10.3C
Sunshine Hours: 1,054.9
Rainy Days: 152.0
Rainfall: 1,104.4mm

That's less than half the sunshine of Seattle, less than all major European cities, and even most sub-polar oceanic climates that tend to rack up the cloudy areas. The only cloudier ''city'' I could find was Tórshavn in the Faroes. In other words, if you're a vampire with a taste for hot-pot, consider Chongqing!

[ Since I know there are more extreme stations in smaller locations, I took the choice of pairing the cloudiest major city versus the sunniest major city, choosing the ( admittedly arbitrary ) condition of a metro area of four million or more. I wanted to choose places where a lot of people actually lived rather than Some Anarctic Island versus Half-Dead Tree, AZ ( population: two tumbleweeds, one buffalo skull ). If there are cities of a million or more that are cloudier or sunnier, let me know! ]

All that being said - which would you choose? Sun city or fog town? Summers that bake or summers that steam?
Definitely Phoenix!

Old 07-06-2014, 12:53 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,940,200 times
Chonqqing for being cooler and wetter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather