U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:32 PM

654 posts, read 1,453,881 times

Advertisements

This is really a question for those warm weather lovers. Using Koppens classification system, which tropical city do you think has the best climate? Which has the worst?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 05:37 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,079 posts, read 47,332,756 times
Do highland tropical climates count?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:48 PM

7,023 posts, read 10,071,709 times
The best I would have to say is somewhere such as Darwin, Australia. Very sunny with 3000hrs of sun, and a wet season with the excitement of thunderstorms and heavy rain, and the dry season with predictable sunny and warm weather.

Worst: Lima, Peru. Kept nasty and cool by the cold ocean currents of the East Pacific and also very cloudy. Hardly "tropical". Other rubbish ones would be ones at elevation like Quito, Ecuador.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 PM

25,058 posts, read 25,515,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Do highland tropical climates count?
From the many responses I've seen on this board, I'm sure the OP means lowland tropical, at least warmer than Miami every month in winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
The best I would have to say is somewhere such as Darwin, Australia. Very sunny with 3000hrs of sun, and a wet season with the excitement of thunderstorms and heavy rain, and the dry season with predictable sunny and warm weather.

Worst: Lima, Peru. Kept nasty and cool by the cold ocean currents of the East Pacific and also very cloudy. Hardly "tropical". Other rubbish ones would be ones at elevation like Quito, Ecuador.
Case in point, nei

Old 10-24-2011, 07:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,079 posts, read 47,332,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
From the many responses I've seen on this board, I'm sure the OP means lowland tropical, at least warmer than Miami every month in winter.
Ok then. For worst I'm tempted to pick many Indian cities. Many tropical cities are too hot or too humid. Indian cities tend to be both. Best would be a more maritime influenced city. I can't think of the best one right away.

I like Rio if these numbers are correct:

Rio de Janeiro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honolulu is nice but a bit too dry. I heard the locals don't use A/C much because the heat's mild enough to adjust to (I like heat if it's not too extreme so I think I can live there comfortably without A/C). In fact, the airport has no A/C. It's open air.

This place looks very good as a tropical climate:

Nouméa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd prefer to have some months with a larger diurnal range (maybe 87/60) but it looks hard to find in a tropical climate that lacks extreme heat.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 PM

10,669 posts, read 14,194,699 times
If we're talking at locations near sea level...

Best: Oranjestad, Aruba

Worst: Lima, Peru

However, it must be added that for me even the worst tropical climate is light years ahead of the best temperate climate for my preferences

Old 10-24-2011, 07:42 PM

22,256 posts, read 26,565,297 times
The worst? All of them..

Old 10-24-2011, 08:45 PM

1,516 posts, read 2,634,169 times
My favorites are the drier lowland tropical areas. Such as:

Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao: Curaçao - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mazatlán - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Least favorite are equatorial highlands (cloud forest climates). Such as the Cameron Highlands of Malaysia (a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there): http://weather-and-climate.info/aver...lands,Malaysia

Last edited by xeric; 10-24-2011 at 08:58 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 12:36 AM

2,702 posts, read 5,586,242 times
Best : Key West, FL (best equatorial climate : Penang, Malaysia)

Worst : hmm...whichever is the most cloudy ! Like Monrovia, Liberia and its annual 5 meters of rain

Old 10-25-2011, 02:49 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,443,494 times
In terms of the tropics as an area, I'm really not too fond of Altiplano weather, like La Paz:

La Paz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Frigid all year around, too dry, bitterly cold witer nights.

On the hot end, many of the cities in the Sahel region of Africa are hellishly hot all year round, with only very short rainy-season relief:

Niamey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not too big on many Indian tropical cities, as their hot seasons go on too long and their rainy seasons aren't long enough to be refreshing:

Chennai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That being said, in general I'm really fond of tropical climates. I have a fondness for monsoonal rainy seasons in the warm season, which probably won't be to everyone's taste:

Cairns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, in terms of pleasantness year-round, I'll agree with those who nominated South Pacific locations, Hawaii, and the coast of Brazil. Townsville, Australia is also a favorite of mine; less rainy than Cairns, cooler than Darwin.

There are also a good many cities in Latin America that are high enough to be moderated by altitude yet are still tropical, in what's called "Tierra Templada''.

Tierra templada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find cities in this zone pleasant all year:

Caracas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
San José, Costa Rica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather